what is the science behind squatting 3 times a week?

nastyElbows also avirgin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
like in the stronglifts 5x5 routine. i tried it last week, and it surprised me that it was more taxing than i thought it would be.
i liked it, though.

but why squat in particular is 3 times a week, when deadlift is only one set a week?

It's a matter of opinion. There are many ways to skin a cat.

like in the stronglifts 5x5 routine. i tried it last week, and it surprised me that it was more taxing than i thought it would be.
i liked it, though.

but why squat in particular is 3 times a week, when deadlift is only one set a week?
Squat will build the deadlift. Deadlifting is more taxing on the cns and lower back.

There is no science just pain.... and DEM GAINZ

I think the idea is that the main muscles involved in squats recover quickly and also uses some of the same low back muscles

Most can get away with squatting multiple times a week vs deadlifting, and the rewards are great.

For an intermediate to advanced lifter, doing each of the big 4 lifts 3 times a week at limited volume is more beneficial than a bro split

The theory being that a novice won't be able to express enough strength in order to significantly disrupt homeostasis- being able to work out again 48 hours later seems like a reasonable assumption. A very large or very strong novice may be able to fuck themselves up more than normal

Just out of curiosity, what's your max squat?

Just front squatted 330 at around 200ish a couple weeks ago. I'm not exactly strong but I like squats, cleans and jerks (and snatches when my hand doesn't feel like it is blowing up), so I do them. Would like to get down to 180ish and then start upping the volume of squats.

i liked it, though.

You're supposed to alternate the workout sessions.
Set 1: Squat, bench, row
Set 2: Squat, OHP, Dead

Week one: Set 1, Set 2, Set 1
Week two: Set 2, Set 1, Set 2
and etc..

The theory being that a novice won't be able to express enough strength in order to significantly disrupt homeostasis- being able to work out again 48 hours later seems like a reasonable assumption. A very large or very strong novice may be able to fuck themselves up more than normal

Me. After heavy sessions sometimes I would need 3-4 days of recovery to get back to normal. Shocks me when guys go back to the gym 1 day later. Maybe I just don't recover as fast or started off a little too heavy. It got better as time went on though. Probably need more calories too

Me. After heavy sessions sometimes I would need 3-4 days of recovery to get back to normal. Shocks me when guys go back to the gym 1 day later. Maybe I just don't recover as fast or started off a little too heavy. It got better as time went on though. Probably need more calories too

You're probably going to need to program both active recovery days and more undulation in the intensity and volume of lifting days.

Dr.Mcgill put it well here but he said that your low back is essentially like a peice of steel. There are a finite amount of bends it can take before it starts to weaken and eventually snap.

The squat doesn't tax you as much but I think people need to realize that for high frequency squatting high bar squats are way more appropriate than low bar for the sake of the low back.

Heavy back squats seem to be more taxing to me than heavy deadlifts at this point. I used to be able to hang with 3 times a week, but not a chance anymore.

What is the logic behind deadlifts being far more taxing than squats? It seems you are under tension far longer with squats. The weights are still heavy.

Heavy back squats seem to be more taxing to me than heavy deadlifts at this point. I used to be able to hang with 3 times a week, but not a chance anymore.

What is the logic behind deadlifts being far more taxing than squats? It seems you are under tension far longer with squats. The weights are still heavy.

Most people are better at deadlifts than than squats (skill-wise) especially at the novice level, and on conventional deadlifts the moment arm on the back is really long. I find stuff near 1RM similarly taxing, but as i go down in percentage my ability to do volume of squats increases dramatically, especially for box squats.

What changed?

Back