Handling a Colitis Flare Up

kingkokong

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Been dealing with Colitis for 16 yrs now and I'm currently trying to push my colitis back in to remission.
About 3 weeks ago (before Christmas) I got sick with gastro and then "BOOM", in come colitis again.

I been weaning of the coffee, red meats, alcohol just to reduce inflammation.

Tried Dave Kliens diet for a few days with ok result
shcc-4th-cvr-8-in.jpg

And now I'm going to re add mega doses of fish oil and vitamin C to my diet. (something I haven't done in a while)

I also think I should stop exercising till feel better again?

For those of you that are dealing with this curse of a disease, what are some of your diets tricks or supplements to get back on track?

Please share :)

Been dealing with Colitis for 16 yrs now and I'm currently trying to push my colitis back in to remission.
About 3 weeks ago (before Christmas) I got sick with gastro and then "BOOM", in come colitis again.

I been weaning of the coffee, red meats, alcohol just to reduce inflammation.

Tried Dave Kliens diet for a few days with ok result
shcc-4th-cvr-8-in.jpg

And now I'm going to re add mega doses of fish oil and vitamin C to my diet. (something I haven't done in a while)

I also think I should stop exercising till feel better again?

For those of you that are dealing with this curse of a disease, what are some of your diets tricks or supplements to get back on track?

Please share :)

Get some Baobab fruit powder, take about 100 grams a day for a week then reduce to 50 grams a day, also look into BPC 157 and taking it orally.

Auto-immune Paleo diet.

It's restrictive for the first 30 days but that will give your gut time to heal until you figure out what really triggers your symptoms. Also bone broth and collagen supplements are your friend.

Hydration and probiotics.

Kefir, good belly shots, apple cider vinegar with mother, kimchi, etc.

Hydration and probiotics.

Kefir, good belly shots, apple cider vinegar with mother, kimchi, etc.

What is good belly shots my good man?

I just discovered last night that brown rice and lentils triggered my flare up worse lol
Now just snacking on peeled apple and bananas at work

Will try more paleo at @wufabufa suggestion and just have grilled bbq chicken only tonight with some super greens

If you have concerns regarding gluten then the regular belly shots might not be for you. They contain barley and might induce a flair. Just a heads up, so choose wisely.

Made a pumpkin, carrot and zucchini soup with wheat and gluten free pasta last night. Today I feel better than yesterday, so definitely the brown rice with lentils aggravated my condition. Gotta wait it out patently <Moves>

Cannabis is known to help manage colon ailments. Have you talked to your Dr. about that?

the only way to get rid of a Flare up is to go on a soup diet for a while, and remember what triggered the flare, many times you will get burning dumps thats a key sign that you are inflamed, and then you might get headaches or feel tired.

Apparently this stuff is great to help add good bacteria back into your system.

745749017819B.jpg

Bone broth soups are good, they say avoid beans and stuff because it is high in fiber, basically when you flare you need to avoid high fiber stuff because fiber is thick and when it travels through your intestines and colon which is basically red and inflamed it will continue irritate it, you need to stick to soups and soft foods, avoid hot spices as well.

boiled or steam Okra is good, its soothing and slimey and ads mucilage do your insides to help. Cabbage juice heals ulcers and Glutamine is supposed to repair the gut lining.

You can add them back in after your intestines and stuff are no longer inflammed which could take a couple weeeks, it will suck and you might lose weight but going on a soup diet is your best bet to heal it even when you feel better just go an extra week to be sure

The best meal for a flare up is this Congee soup also known as jook or white rice porridge,, Congee a white rice soup with chicken broth, and some ginger, garlic and topped off with green onions. you can use ground pork, or pieces of chicken in it.

20140828-ground-pork-and-corn-congee-shao-zhong-8-1500x1125.jpg

21984_ginger_chicken_jook_620.jpg

dakjukcloseup.jpg

No, you mean smoking it? I don't smoke
Yeah i wouldnt smoke its temp relief there has never been any proof of long term health, its all mental when smoking weed your brain becomes high so you believe the pain is gone then when the high wears off it comes back, its just temp reliefe.just eat clean, ginger tea helps some people, just boil some fresh ginger root and drink it, it has anti inflammation properties.

Yeah i wouldnt smoke its temp relief there has never been any proof of long term health, its all mental when smoking weed your brain becomes high so you believe the pain is gone then when the high wears off it comes back, its just temp reliefe.just eat clean, ginger tea helps some people, just boil some fresh ginger root and drink it, it has anti inflammation properties.

Thanks for the tips on Congee and your input on Weed :)

Thanks for the tips on Congee and your input on Weed :)
trust me on that Congee, learn to cook it, it works wonders especially when you have a cold of flu its better than chicken soup, the garlic, with the green onions and small pieces of ginger in a chicken broth its delicious.

just stay determined and when you feel like you are better still do the soup diet, it takes a while to heal up and then avoid trigger foods

get your probiotics in. My friend had Crohns or UC and he said it got so bad his anus was on fire

Yeah i wouldnt smoke its temp relief there has never been any proof of long term health

This is false.
Smoking cannabis cure's Crohn's disease. Eating it does, too. I'm trying to find legit literature to support this, but the only research I can find is published in Hebrew. If you want to poison your body with steroids and all the crazy shit they try to treat Crohn's with, that's up to you. As I said, speak to your doctor. Make sure you have a doctor that isn't a fucking simpleton. Any Gastro worth their weight in salt will be aware of this information.

Personal anecdote, I know two people that have successfully treated their Crohn's/IBS with cannabis.

I've found more paywalled info:

Abstract:

In ancient medicine, cannabis has been widely used to cure disturbances and inflammation of the bowel. A recent clinical study now shows that the medicinal plant Cannabis sativa has lived up to expectations and proved to be highly efficient in cases of inflammatory bowel diseases. In a prospective placebo-controlled study, it has been shown what has been largely anticipated from anecdotal reports, i.e. that cannabis produces significant clinical benefits in patients with Crohn’s disease. The mechanisms involved are not yet clear but most likely include peripheral actions on cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2, and may also include central actions.

Conclusion:
In summary, in agreement with the ancient use of cannabis in intestinal disturbances and one decade of animal research, cannabis was shown in a clinical trial to reduce symptoms in patients with Crohn’s disease. This elegant translation should be followed by larger trials confirming these results and by trials establishing the involved mechanisms to open a promising direction for future treatment of IBD.

Source: Schicho, Rudolf; Storr, Martin; Pharmacology; Basel Vol. 93, Iss. 1-2, (Mar 2014): 1-3.

Actually, found the Hebrew study in English...here's the abstract:

The marijuana plant Cannabis sativa has been used for centuries as a treatment for a variety of ailments. It contains over 60 different cannabinoid compounds. Studies have revealed that the endocannabinoid system is involved in almost all major immune events. Cannabinoids may, therefore, be beneficial in inflammatory disorders. In murine colitis, cannabinoids decrease histologic and microscopic inflammation. In humans, cannabis has been used to treat a plethora of gastrointestinal problems, including anorexia, emesis, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and diabetic gastroparesis. Despite anecdotal reports on medical cannabis in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), there are few controlled studies. In an observational study in 30 patients with Crohn's disease (CD), we found that medical cannabis was associated with improvement in disease activity and reduction in the use of other medications. In a more recent placebo-controlled study in 21 chronic CD patients, we showed a decrease in the CD activity index >100 in 10 of 11 subjects on cannabis compared to 4 of 10 on placebo. Complete remission was achieved in 5 of 11 subjects in the cannabis group and 1 of 10 in the placebo group. Yet, in an additional study, low-dose cannabidiol did not have an effect on CD activity. In summary, evidence is gathering that manipulating the endocannabinoid system can have beneficial effects in IBD, but further research is required to declare cannabinoids a medicine. We need to establish the specific cannabinoids, as well as appropriate medical conditions, optimal dose, and mode of administration, to maximize the beneficial effects while avoiding any potential harmful effects of cannabinoid use.

Source:
Naftali T; Mechulam R; Lev LB; Konikoff FM; Digestive Diseases (Basel, Switzerland) [Dig Dis] 2014; Vol. 32 (4), pp. 468-74. Date of Electronic Publication: 2014 Jun 23.

For me, eating low fiber helps. Imodium can be beneficial somewhat. Right now I'm avoiding beef and dairy products, along with a few other items. The diet has my stomach and overall health improved I believe.

Best of luck dealing with and finding what works for you with your colitis.

For me, eating low fiber helps. Imodium can be beneficial somewhat. Right now I'm avoiding beef and dairy products, along with a few other items. The diet has my stomach and overall health improved I believe.

Best of luck dealing with and finding what works for you with your colitis.

I'm back on the Mesalazine and seem to be doing better with dietary changes.

So thanks for everyone contributing.:)

I'm now looking for something more permanent rather than just remission.

2 options I'm looking at are

1) Stem Cells (@Bangkok Regeneration Centre)

2) Human Microbial Infusion or HMI (previously known as Faecal Microbial Transplant)

What do you sherdoggers think?

I'm back on the Mesalazine and seem to be doing better with dietary changes.

So thanks for everyone contributing.:)

I'm now looking for something more permanent rather than just remission.

2 options I'm looking at are

1) Stem Cells (@Bangkok Regeneration Centre)

2) Human Microbial Infusion or HMI (previously known as Faecal Microbial Transplant)

What do you sherdoggers think?

what is that fecal transplant how does that work, also I heard stem cells is good Mel Gibson and Joe Rogan swear by them.

what is that fecal transplant how does that work,

Apparently good bacteria that improves gut flora is better inserted anally (lol) than probiotics.
They find healthy individuals to donate their poo, which over a course of a few days or weeks,
is inserted by colonoscopy, enamas or via the nose by a tube...It's all messed up and gross and not cheap either:eek:

Human Microbial Infusion (Faecal Microbial Transplant)
Introduction
Human Microbial Infusion or HMI (previously known as Faecal Microbial Transplant) was pioneered in Australia by Professor Thomas Borody at the Centre for Digestive Disorders (CDD), the home of The Probiotic Therapy Research Centre (PTRC).

What are probiotics
Probiotics are described as being living micro-organisms which, upon ingestion, affect the body in a beneficial manner. The human bowel contains a complex population of bacteria of several hundred different species and thousands of subspecies. These bacteria, and the chemicals they produce, can have a negative or a positive effect on the human body within which they live. The 'good' bacteria found in the human bowel are known as normal flora. This normal human flora is considered beneficial to the body as these bacteria aid in the breakdown of proteins and fats in food and help with the metabolism of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. They control infective bacteria from implanting via a number of mechanisms, and in addition, the good bacteria appear to boost the immune system and protect us from pathogenic (bad) bacteria penetrating the bowel wall and infecting the host, the human body. In fact they can stimulate immune responses beyond the gut positively improving skin and respiratory tract immunity, for example.

Problems arise if pathogenic or bad bacteria implant or live among the good human flora. This can cause an imbalance which can have a debilitating and toxic effect on the bowel or even the entire body. Probiotics can include normal human flora which are introduced into the body to increase their dominance in the bowel, thereby reversing the damage and associated problems caused by bad bacteria. Although transient passage of cultured probiotics can improve symptoms it should be noted that oral probiotics commercially available are incapable of implanting permanently into the gut flora as they have lost their capability to adhere to epithelial cells through the process of culturing in the commercial laboratory. It is only fresh human probiotics from another human being that retain that capability and hence can be implanted to reverse damage and side effects and then stay in the bowel to protect in the future.

What is an HPI?
HPI (Human Probiotic Infusion) uses normal 'healthy' human flora introduced into the patients bowel to 'kill' the bad bacteria.

The use of healthy human flora appears to be the most effective probiotic treatment available today. Healthy human flora acts as a 'broad spectrum antibiotic' against pathogens with the added benefit of being able to implant missing bacteria.

HPI therapy involves the infusion of healthy human donor flora bacteria into the bowel of the patient. The infusion is repeated for at least 5 days or longer. The therapy includes a special low fibre diet prior to infusion and a course of antibiotics to kill off as many bad bacteria as possible before infusion.

Killing off 'bad' bacteria before infusion gives the newly introduced 'good' bacteria a better chance of re-establishing dominance. Preparation also includes a bowel washout prior to infusion.

Infusions can be done via:

• Colonoscopy - Here the routine preparation for colonoscopy is taken and with the instrument deep in the bowel or even in the lower small bowel - the human flora bacteria are infused to cover as much bowel wall as possible
  • Enema - this is a simpler method of infusing as a liquid flora mixture in saline through the rectum
  • Nasojejunal tube - In this method a fine tube is placed under sedation through the nose, guided by the endoscope into the small bowel, and then allowed to advance well into the small bowel for the infusion to cover any infective pathogens even in the mid-small bowel
  • Donors
    Donors can be selected from individual's family members or can be close friends. All donors are fully screened for infections (parasitic, bacterial and viral) before therapy for HIV; Hep A, B, C; CMV; EBV; toxoplasmosis; syphilis; as well as for a large number of possible stool pathogens.

PEPH gastroenterology also has available donors through a donor bank for patients who do not have a suitable donor. These donors are screened on a regular basis for all of the above.

http://www.drpaulfroomes.com.au/content/blogsection/7/46/

Back