Take a Testosterone supplement to balance out psych medicine?

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
Just saw a commercial for this new product at GNC that’s a test booster called “Alpha King” and I was wondering if that might be something to consider for a person on psych medicine. Wondering if anyone has tried a testosterone supplement and if it gave more energy and sexual vitality through the hazy cloud that is psych medicine?

any otc test supplement will be a waste of $ and a load of rubbish
especially at stores like GNC

it may make a difference in your head because you've purchased a product called a testosterone supplement but physically... no

Do people still buy test boosters in 2018?

Please someone post here so I can help you save money

Test boosters are 99% ineffective anyway so it's doubtful they'll counteract the side effects of your psych meds. Issues with your libido when taking those meds are generally neurogenic meaning the medicine is changing your brain chemistry, so having lots of extra free test in your blood stream won't do much either. Your issue isn't testosterone, it's how the medicine effects how your brain works. I took antidepressants myself and suffered from low libido. The only thing that brought it back was getting off the meds.

You said in a previous thread that you're on lithium. That shit is used to treat some pretty serious conditions so my advice is to stop asking for advice on an MMA forum and speak to your psychiatrist about your current side effects to see if there's a alternative to the meds they're having you take.

Test boosters are 99% ineffective anyway so it's doubtful they'll counteract the side effects of your psych meds. Issues with your libido when taking those meds are generally neurogenic meaning the medicine is changing your brain chemistry, so having lots of extra free test in your blood stream won't do much either. Your issue isn't testosterone, it's how the medicine effects how your brain works. I took antidepressants myself and suffered from low libido. The only thing that brought it back was getting off the meds.

You said in a previous thread that you're on lithium. That shit is used to treat some pretty serious conditions so my advice is to stop asking for advice on an MMA forum and speak to your psychiatrist about your current side effects to see if there's a alternative to the meds they're having you take.

Yea I bring it up with the psychiatrist too. Every medicine I try sucks. It’s a shitty situation. You helped me in a way the psychiatrist didn’t by saying extra testosterone in the blood isn’t going to help because the medicine is neurogenic and changing the brain’s chemistry. I know it changes the brain, I didn’t know that extra testosterone wouldn’t help and my psychiatrist didn’t seem to have a comment on that either.

Your issue isn't testosterone, it's how the medicine effects how your brain works. I took antidepressants myself and suffered from low libido. The only thing that brought it back was getting off the meds.

This.

Have they ever tried Wellbutrin with you?

100% this. Especially:

stop asking for advice on an MMA forum and speak to your psychiatrist and doctor

This.

Have they ever tried Wellbutrin with you?

I actually just picked up a Wellbutrin prescription. I am shy to try it though. I am wondering if there’s some other way around this predicament than another medicine. I feel that the lithium is inducing these feelings and it’s dumb to take a drug to counteract that. The pills are under my sink, I might just give in and try them today.

I actually just picked up a Wellbutrin prescription. I am shy to try it though. I am wondering if there’s some other way around this predicament than another medicine. I feel that the lithium is inducing these feelings and it’s dumb to take a drug to counteract that. The pills are under my sink, I might just give in and try them today.

You have a known side effect from an rx medication. It is a medication you presumably need and if you feel you don't discuss it with your prescribing doctor or get second or third opinions from other doctors specializing in the relative field.

You have a pharmacological problem. It would be unethical of any of us here to tell you to stop taking an rx medication. The only intelligent path forward is talking to your MD about the problems so that they can decide if altering your rx regimen can be done safely within the context of your situation to address this side effect that is clearly disconcerting for you.

Taking hormones that your MD did not prescribe, is frankly a dangerous and foolish idea. Not only is it unlikely to actually help your problem as the suppression of libido from lithium is unrelated to testosterone....................... but it could actually make the underlying condition you're using lithium for worse or imbalance you in other ways.

This discussion doesn't have to be about just adding more and more rx agents. You can discuss the possibility of a future without Lithium for you if you're doing well on something else. You say you've been prescribed Wellbutrin and if it helps you in general, discuss with your MD the possibility of using that in lieu of the Lithium if symptoms are under control and you're feeling good.

You have a known side effect from an rx medication. It is a medication you presumably need and if you feel you don't discuss it with your prescribing doctor or get second or third opinions from other doctors specializing in the relative field.

You have a pharmacological problem. It would be unethical of any of us here to tell you to stop taking an rx medication. The only intelligent path forward is talking to your MD about the problems so that they can decide if altering your rx regimen can be done safely within the context of your situation to address this side effect that is clearly disconcerting for you.

Taking hormones that your MD did not prescribe, is frankly a dangerous and foolish idea. Not only is it unlikely to actually help your problem as the suppression of libido from lithium is unrelated to testosterone....................... but it could actually make the underlying condition you're using lithium for worse or imbalance you in other ways.

This discussion doesn't have to be about just adding more and more rx agents. You can discuss the possibility of a future without Lithium for you if you're doing well on something else. You say you've been prescribed Wellbutrin and if it helps you in general, discuss with your MD the possibility of using that in lieu of the Lithium if symptoms are under control and you're feeling good.

Yea I started taking the Wellbutrin. Today is my second day. I also went to a TRT clinic today and did the initial lab draw and consultation. I’m interested to see what they find.

Back