Keto vs Intermittent fasting?

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm about to get fat again and I want to avoid that. Usually when I need to correct my life and get back on track with weight I did "Low car" aka keto. Lately I've also heard some things about intermittent fast. Can someone share their opinions on the differences. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs.

I'm about to get fat again and I want to avoid that. Usually when I need to correct my life and get back on track with weight I did "Low car" aka keto. Lately I've also heard some things about intermittent fast. Can someone share their opinions on the differences. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs.
Really at the end of the day you need to be in a caloric deficit to loose weight, keto, IF, they help but are "styles" that help you stay on track depending on how you are

IF is basically a plan that lets you eat gargantuan meals, if you're the type in life that likes to do everything go big or go home, it can work, but if not, it may not. Keto works for a minority of the population to be honest. Every coach swears by it because it "helps" (carbs bind to water, so dropping the carbs have you losing alot so it looks good, but its just water weight), if it works for you, then more power to you. Personally, me and most others, it has the same effect: tired, lethargic, terrible diarrhea, and acne problems. But if you happen to be of the minority that functions on it, it'll be a good diet.

Regardless, to lose weight, you need to be at a deficit, and more important, you have to accept that this is a longer journey and not a quick fast cycle. 10-15lbs, if its really in fat, will take between 7-15 weeks. Most are not able to handle 2lbs/week loss right off the bat, the deficit is very deep and alot crack within 2-5 weeks. Again, if you can do this, its great, but its best to start normal, then slowly escalade and build up.

Really at the end of the day you need to be in a caloric deficit to loose weight, keto, IF, they help but are "styles" that help you stay on track depending on how you are

IF is basically a plan that lets you eat gargantuan meals, if you're the type in life that likes to do everything go big or go home, it can work, but if not, it may not. Keto works for a minority of the population to be honest. Every coach swears by it because it "helps" (carbs bind to water, so dropping the carbs have you losing alot so it looks good, but its just water weight), if it works for you, then more power to you. Personally, me and most others, it has the same effect: tired, lethargic, terrible diarrhea, and acne problems. But if you happen to be of the minority that functions on it, it'll be a good diet.

Regardless, to lose weight, you need to be at a deficit, and more important, you have to accept that this is a longer journey and not a quick fast cycle. 10-15lbs, if its really in fat, will take between 7-15 weeks. Most are not able to handle 2lbs/week loss right off the bat, the deficit is very deep and alot crack within 2-5 weeks. Again, if you can do this, its great, but its best to start normal, then slowly escalade and build up.

Thanks for the input. What you said actually makes me think about what I need. About 10 years ago I was about 240 lbs. I got down to 170(170 is honestly too skinny for me) I'm best at 180ish. I did it using neutrasystem and it was perfect as I was just out of college and the shitty food for was fine for me. Now I think the problem is more drinking than food. I'm 200 lbs and the fasting seems more suited for what I need. I enjoying eating and I want to be better at cooking.

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for the input. What you said actually makes me think about what I need. About 10 years ago I was about 240 lbs. I got down to 170(170 is honestly too skinny for me) I'm best at 180ish. I did it using neutrasystem and it was perfect as I was just out of college and the shitty food for was fine for me. Now I think the problem is more drinking than food. I'm 200 lbs and the fasting seems more suited for what I need. I enjoying eating and I want to be better at cooking.

Thank you for your reply.
Drinking is tough, and it builds on you faster than you think.

1 shot of anything 40% is already 60-70 calories. 1 shot! A beer can is about 220-240 calories, the higher the %, the more calories.

Drinking is tough, and it builds on you faster than you think.

1 shot of anything 40% is already 60-70 calories. 1 shot! A beer can is about 220-240 calories, the higher the %, the more calories.

Yeah i know, it's my main vice and i need to stop. Ive been drinking for a week now. Broke up with my gf and need to turns things around

Yeah i know, it's my main vice and i need to stop. Ive been drinking for a week now. Broke up with my gf and need to turns things around
Yeah its tough, It creeped up on me recently and got a bit tough to put away.

I've had a lot more success with intermittent fasting. Also it's a lot easier if you eat out because you don't have to be that careful about what you eat.

the thing I rarely hear about intermittent fasting is why it works. Oh I hear the mumbo -jumbo about 'enzymes , blah, blah, blah ..' but dont' believe it. If you do intermittent fasting and eat huge calories and large amounts of sugar, it won't do anything. Intermittent fasting only works if your total caloric intake reduces. And it does work generally because the effect is that you are eating less often and not as hungry. OTOH if you continue to eat 5,000+ calories of high carb/sugar diet, then IF won't do anything.

I think if you read the threads here and take the overall body of evidence as a whole, the first thing you need to do is cut sugar intake and reduce total calories (check a caloric maintenance calculator for your size and activity). Everything else is secondary.

Anything that doesn't involve workouts, reasonable caloric intake and minimization of sugar, is doomed to fail in my experience.

I really hate that IF has become a gimmick like Atkins or some shit.

It's just another strategy to help with a well balanced diet. Do both. Fast until lunch, then eat something filling with greens and some fat. Do the same for dinner. If you're not going crazy with your meals, you're going to be eating at a deficit by default.

Look for something more sustainable, imo. Both of those diets are based mostly in pseudoscience/bro science.

They both do the same thing, put you in a coloric deficit.

They both do the same thing, put you in a coloric deficit.

Coloric is that like a new hybrid word for a mix of caloric and colonic?

Are you advocating, sticking food up your bum? Is this a new diet you have come up with..........do you run a partnership program, like Herbalife?

Coloric is that like a new hybrid word for a mix of caloric and colonic?

Are you advocating, sticking food up your bum? Is this a new diet you have come up with..........do you run a partnership program, like Herbalife?

All of the above.

tbh id go back to the nutrisystem its a great program it tracks the calories for you easy safe and lots of top professional fighters use it

Well if a pro fighter does it, it must be legit....

Lyotopiss2.jpeg

All of the above.

I want in, as long as we all have to talk in a Brazilian accent, whilst selling the product/lifestyle. In fact, I would make it mandatory that everyone needs to sign up and pass the, "How to talk with a Brazilian accent" course before they they can join the cult.....ooops I mean the "lifestyle".

tbh id go back to the nutrisystem its a great program it tracks the calories for you easy safe and lots of top professional fighters use it

But the "Coloric lifestyle", which is advocated by the Grand Magician, KILL KILL, has got to be the better option.

Weight loss isn't complicated. You need to eat less calories than the amount of calories required to maintain you current weight. You need to be in a caloric deficit. Find foods that will keep you full that are not high in calories. Veggies are a safe bet. You can eat ridiculous amounts of broccoli and spinach and not gain weight. To me the easiest way to loose weight is to eat tons of veggies. You will be full without taking in a lot of calories, and you can then eat some things that you enjoy more for taste without going over your caloric limit.

A good weight loss meal would be a huge serving of broccoli paired with some type of protein.

Back