Why protein after a workout or full protein meal for muscle gain?

CauseImbetta

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is little research on this. My question is: after a workout for muscle gain, is it better to take drinkable whey protein powder right away or have a full meal with protein in it like quinoa, black bean and meat?

Is the billion dollar supplement industry trying to make you buy whey for after a workout when food will do the same thing? Goal is hypertrophy training.

Does protein timing really matter?

Do we need something that quickly raises plasma amino acid levels, and thus protein synthesis rates? Particularly that’s rich in the amino acid leucine, which is what most directly stimulates muscle growth.

Is the billion dollar supplement industry trying to make you buy whey for after a workout when food will do the same thing?
i think most people would prefer a full protein meal but it's way more convenient just to have a shake

What and how much are more important than when. I've done whey directly after lifting, full meals after lifting, and even waited a few afters after working out to eat and still made progress. In general, if you eat healthy with plenty of protein and sufficient calories you should be able to grow/gain strength.

Personally, I come home and cool down, drink some water, and watch a Judge Judy for about 30 minutes and then eat a regular meal. If I push hard enough in the gym I can sometimes feel nauseated anyway, so pounding a bunch of whey directly afterwards just makes me feel sick.

TLDR; Eat plenty of calories and protein when you can

Does protein timing really matter?

Do we need something that quickly raises plasma amino acid levels, and thus protein synthesis rates? Particularly that’s rich in the amino acid leucine, which is what most directly stimulates muscle growth.
Nope, not unless you're a very high level pro athlete. Til then calories, and good macro-nutrient parturition is the key for you

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities-Rippedbody.com_.png

Don't worry. You're not just eating celery all day, you won't miss out on protein.

@Thunderhead how do you do it? You said you body build too, right?

I used to slam down a mixture of whey and dextrose immediately after training for post workout recovery, but nowadays I wait 2-4 hours after training before I eat my first meal of the day. I do intermittent fasting.

you know what a good recipe is? non fat yogurt, oats and vanilla flavor whey protein. Delicious.
there you go, real food mixed with whey.

To the OP:
Look up bioavailability of protein sources. All your answers will lie there.

Why not both?
that's what most people do

Shake immediately after workout, by the time they get home/shower, it's time for a full meal anyway.

depending when you workout*

Back