Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Ryan Reynolds as a live action Pikachu....

giphy.gif

I feel like I want to be excited ...
I don't mean to sound crass, but on what level exactly? The Pokemon level? The Ryan Reynolds level? The level where you're excited as a parent because your kids are huge fans? Don't get me wrong. I love the Pokemon. And that week when Pokemon Go was a thing? People left their houses and went outside. There was sunshine. A friendly community of activity. It seemed like a heaven before this hell wherein Trump got into office and everything became either a natural disaster, complete social upheaval, and the exact opposite of everything you ever wanted. But I digress.

what-is-happening.gif

Like you -- even if any of these levels excited me, this .... this whatever it is .... is sheer confusion. Live-action Pokemon? But Pikachu is barely more than a pentagon. Why do we need performance capture for a literal shape? Let alone a topline actor doing it? I don't understand anything that's going on?

Why do you need an a list actor to play a character who can only say his name ?

Why does Pikachu need to carry this CAN actor? Wonder who he bent over for to get the role..
They ruined the movie with the casting.
Should have got the guy from SuperBad..

I don't mean to sound crass, but on what level exactly? The Pokemon level? The Ryan Reynolds level? The level where you're excited as a parent because your kids are huge fans? Don't get me wrong. I love the Pokemon. And that week when Pokemon Go was a thing? People left their houses and went outside. There was sunshine. A friendly community of activity. It seemed like a heaven before this hell wherein Trump got into office and everything became either a natural disaster, complete social upheaval, and the exact opposite of everything you ever wanted. But I digress.

what-is-happening.gif

Like you -- even if any of these levels excited me, this .... this whatever it is .... is sheer confusion. Live-action Pokemon? But Pikachu is barely more than a pentagon. Why do we need performance capture for a literal shape? Let alone a topline actor doing it? I don't understand anything that's going on?

It's mainly a nostalgia thing for me. As a youngin' I was a huge fan of Pokemon, and like most 90's kids it played a big part in my childhood.

As I've gotten older my interest has obviously dwindled, but this being the first live-action Pokemon movie is what interests me the most, even if it doesn't seem like a traditional Pokemon movie. I'm curious to see how they pull it off because I have a hard time picturing it.

My daughter is a bit too young to grasp the concept of Pokemon at the moment, but by the time this comes out she will be old enough where I can take her to see it at the cinema, and it won't seem so weird going to see it as an adult lol.

Let's hope there's a little bit of this:
Screen-Shot-2017-11-10-at-11-17-43-AM-1024x1024.png

24831439_1592669307438992_6234971094883982005_o.jpg

Last edited:
Update: January 19, 2018

Ken Watanabe Joins Ryan Reynolds in Live-Action Pokemon Movie DETECTIVE PIKACHU

2aoN9Ui.jpg

Ken Watanabe is joining Ryan Reynolds in Detective Pikachu, Legendary Entertainment’s live-action Pokemon movie.

In addition to Reynolds, Watanabe — who will slip into a role specifically created for the movie — joins Justice Smith, who will be seen in the upcoming Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and Big Little Lies actress Kathryn Newton in the movie based on the gaming franchise.

Rob Letterman (Goosebumps) is directing the project, which is due to start shooting this month in London.

The concept of Pokemon sees players acting as trainers who collect cute but powerful monsters called Pokemon in order to compete in battle tournaments.

Pikachu is a species of Pokemon, while Detective Pikachu the character is a peculiar sort from the Pikachu set, a self-styled investigator who is good at finding things.

The story is set into motion when Smith's character's father is kidnapped, forcing the teen to team up with Pikachu in order to find him. Watanabe will play a character named Detective Yoshida.

Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch wrote the script with Eric Pearson and Tom McCarthy having completed production polishes.

Watanabe’s work is well-known at Legendary as he appeared in the company’s Godzilla and the upcoming sequel Godzilla: King of Monsters. The actor was nominated for an Oscar for his work in the Tom Cruise drama The Last Samurai, appeared in Batman Begins and has a voice role in Wes Anderson’s upcoming Isle of Dogs.

Ken Watanabe Joins Ryan Reynolds in Pokemon Live-Action Movie 'Detective Pikachu' (Exclusive)

Shame Ken can't get real roles, guy is so gosh damn great.

this thing is going to earn a Razzie in the future
Golden_Raspberry_Award.jpg

Watanabe is better than this. A lot better.

Update: August 25, 2018

Legendary Pictures Unveils Official Title and Logo for POKEMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU

DlX6KfGU8AA2eiq.jpg:large

I hope they put forward a legitimate attempt at a Noir-ish feel.

Back