What level of boxing is "Golden Gloves"

Dougall

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hear alot about Golden Gloves boxing in MMA and even in kickboxing, such and such a fighter being a former Golden Gloves champ etc.
Could anyone from the US Clear up what Golden Gloves is for someone not from there. Is the Golden Gloves champion the national champion or does each state have its own champ. Or are the levels even smaller, like county or locality?
Are there only weight classes, or are there weight classes aswell as age divisions?
Is Golden Gloves the route most amateur boxers go down?

It's high level. Brendan Shaub was a Golden Gloves champ, and he Koed Crocop with one punch, with MMA gloves.

Last edited:
iirc Golden Gloves is a tournament that's almost a rite of passage for boxers looking to make it up there. Its an ammy tournament I think.

From what I've come to understand there are different types of Golden Gloves. Smaller tournaments and bigger ones. As far as I know both Miocic and Schaub just won some small regional Golden Glove tournaments not nationals or anything like that

As far as I know both Miocic and Schaub just won some small regional Golden Glove tournaments not nationals or anything like that

As a former winner of a small regional Golden Glove tournaments, not nationals or anything like that, I say to you, sir :

<3>

My unborn children shall know of their old man as being an uncelebrated cross between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Thomas Hearns.
Lol...those lil bastards will have no choice while they suck on the parental money teat.
And after that ......

<DisgustingHHH>

It varies by State, and depends solely on the quality of boxing in said State. Go to USABoxing.org and look up the amateur rankings. The States you see fighters ranked from, those are the harder states to win.

From there it's a matter of then winning regional (multiple states) and Nationals. However, a few years ago the removed the points value of Golden Gloves Nationals. You don't get ranking points if you win it. That doesn't stop anyone from competing because it's difficult and carries a lot of prestige, but it doesn't mean jack towards National ranking anymore.

Right now I have one regional Champ, so he's #1 in the west excluding Cali, and one NY Golden Gloves Champ that I train.

There is a national one, but I imagine most golden gloves guys you meet or hear of will be the regional ones. I think the military does them too, but not 100% certain. It's generally pretty prestigious.

There is also Silver Mittens

When I was 16 I took out the Bronze Oven Mitt title.

I'm pretty sure the under 18 (16?) version is the silver gloves, not silver mittens. Silver mittens sounds like it's for toddlers, which is questionably moral.

NY and Ohio used to be pretty prestigious but I'm not sure any more.

Silver Gloves is 16 and under in the U.S. Golden Gloves is 17 and over, recently the ages have been altered but that was where it stood last.

National Golden Gloves is the most prestigious, it's a 5-day tournament.

The level of comp depends on region. I believe NYC and Chicago are the best local tourneys. And I think they go by different names in different places. In NJ, I think its called Diamond gloves.

Hear alot about Golden Gloves boxing in MMA and even in kickboxing, such and such a fighter being a former Golden Gloves champ etc.
Could anyone from the US Clear up what Golden Gloves is for someone not from there. Is the Golden Gloves champion the national champion or does each state have its own champ. Or are the levels even smaller, like county or locality?
Are there only weight classes, or are there weight classes aswell as age divisions?
Is Golden Gloves the route most amateur boxers go down?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gloves

TL/DR:

The Golden Gloves is a term used to refer to the National Golden Gloves competition, but can also represent several other amateur tournaments, including regional golden gloves tournaments and other notable tournaments such as the Intercity Golden Gloves, the Chicago Golden Gloves, and the New York Golden Gloves.

The National Golden Gloves contest began in 1962 and continues to be the most highly regarded amateur boxing tournament in the United States. It is sponsored and controlled by the Golden Gloves Association of America, Inc. Winners from regional Golden Gloves competitions compete in the national competition, called the Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions. The Tournament of Champions is held once a year, and a new tournament site is selected annually. The U.S. Golden Gloves program is currently organized on a territorial basis to give all sections of the country representation. All tournaments are planned, promoted and directed by the Golden Gloves Charities and within the limits of the amateur boxing code. Many amateur Golden Gloves participants went on to become professional boxers, including Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and Barney Ross.

The level of comp depends on region. I believe NYC and Chicago are the best local tourneys. And I think they go by different names in different places. In NJ, I think its called Diamond gloves.

tournaments in san antonio/houston/dallas aint too shabby either

Back