Running best cardio rebuilder?

Central adaptations are general (heart chamber size, capillirizattion, parasympathetic tone), peripheral adaptations are specific (mitochondrial biogenesis, sodium-ion pumps in the sells, presence of various enzymes)
Is this actually intended to mean anything, or are you using fancy vocabulary for trolling?

Is this actually intended to mean anything, or are you using fancy vocabulary for trolling?

It means different physical stuff happens in response to different stimulus, and that saying "cardio is specific" lumps in all the different things that are happening in the body together.

The parts where your body gets better at delivering blood and shifting back into recovery aren't very specific.

The stuff that happens in your muscles in response to stuff closer to your red line is more specific (to joint, angle, muscle, time and intensity).

So if you're trying to improve your ability to recover, you don't need to worry about specificity very much.

Depends how you run and how you skip.

In terms of efficiency, IMO, nothing can beat running a 5K in, say 22mn. It is a realistic goal for many people, and it will really kick your ass.

With efficiency I mean what it will bring you the most results per minute spent around that activity.
YOu usually don't need to commute, don't need to find a place, and you are more likely to stick with it.
Including changing, getting out of your place, getting warm, stretching, showering, you can do it all in in like 40 mn. It's impossible to beat that.

Skipping rope for 30 mn 2 times per week ? I honestly don't know many people that have it in them. I like to skip 10mn as a warm up before MT, but it gets boring as fuck.

I want to start running too this year. Is the app couch to 5k good to use when I start running?

It means different physical stuff happens in response to different stimulus, and that saying "cardio is specific" lumps in all the different things that are happening in the body together.

The parts where your body gets better at delivering blood and shifting back into recovery aren't very specific.

The stuff that happens in your muscles in response to stuff closer to your red line is more specific (to joint, angle, muscle, time and intensity).

So if you're trying to improve your ability to recover, you don't need to worry about specificity very much.
Ok, thanks.

I want to start running too this year. Is the app couch to 5k good to use when I start running?

I am about to go running 5K right now.

I run 5K consistently at least one a week since 4 years, except when I fuck up my foot in sparring, or things like that. When my upper body is injured, running is often the only sport I do so I run many times per week.

So, to answer your question, I don't know this app, nor do I use an app.

I do have a running / GPS watch, though. Impossible to run without it.

What I do is very simple : I always run 5K, and try to beat my best time every time. That's it.

I also do not know about 5 k. Last year when I asked about running and started running as a beginner I got adviced to build 3 times x 30 minutes. When you have build that you have the core for more, but I was told that a lot of experts have suggest that building that 3x30 per week is essential for running.

I think so since it is supposed to be targeted at the rank beginner so the progression is gentle. Its important not to run too fast and progressively build up your mileage. The rule of the thumb is to make each running workout easy enough so that it feels that you can repeat the same thing nearly every day.

Pretty much covered already. Running is great cardiovascular work, but hard on the body over time.

I prefer rowing, skipping rope, and using a ski erg

Works from top to bottom and you can't deny the upper body/torso/shoulder benefits

Running has the highest effect size per dose for cardio, with the rower and cross-country skiing being close seconds. It is also however the largest summation of forces on your body.

Cross country skiing is the most cardio intensive. You could be a world class runner by being high 70s Max VO2. It would take high 80s or low 90s to be a top XC skier.

Very elite athletes in running endurance events have roughly half the training volume of similarly elite (by vo2 max etc) athletes in cycling, swimming etc that are doing energetically similar events.

As for jump ropes- while it's great for local muscular endurance, you're using fewer muscles through a smaller range of motion with a shorter relaxation cycle so I don't see any reason to think it would be more efficient as a means of developing the vascular system. Anecdotally, every boxer i know uses the jump rope, but they do vastly more running.

I think it highly depends on how you are jumping. Watch a Ross Enamait video of jump roping and tell me you that doesn't look as effective.

Central adaptations are general (heart chamber size, capillirizattion, parasympathetic tone), peripheral adaptations are specific (mitochondrial biogenesis, sodium-ion pumps in the sells, presence of various enzymes)
Guess I'll start running.

Gotta say, I'm really not liking you right now though.

As a fighter, running is the best modality there is imo. It's weight-bearing, you are using your calfs and legs a lot, and you have to move your body through space. In short it transfer to lungs, legs, footwork, agility and movement. Skipping is close, but you don't have to propell yourself forward which makes running superior imo (both should be combined).

Obviously, don't overdo the running, and if your joints can't handle it (even if you are practicing running technique and doing prehab/strength work for your lower body), then lower the volume even more or use another modality. There's plenty good ones for overall fitness. Biking, hiking, swimming, cross trainer, assault bike, rowing so on. All lower impact.

Guess I'll start running.

Gotta say, I'm really not liking you right now though.

I mean, if you just wanna improve recovery for lifting i usually have people try incline treadmill walking with a HR monitor or riding a bike. There's no impact so the reduction of gainzzz is minimal.

Yes running is great. Jump roping is also great and more convenient. Swimming is awesome if you have access to a pool.
Yeah, jump rope is killer and it's not as hard on the joints as running. Also good for coordination.

I think jumping rope burns more calories than running.

Is it true that swimming build fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers
At the same time?
I've read that jumping rope is roughly equal to running at an 8 min per mile pace

I mean, if you just wanna improve recovery for lifting i usually have people try incline treadmill walking with a HR monitor or riding a bike. There's no impact so the reduction of gainzzz is minimal.

at what heart rate %?

I love jumping rope, but it aggravates my shin splints worse than running.

May be something to keep in mind if you're susceptible to them.

For most people running is top choice.

Reason is because they are most natural and efficient at it, so its easier to control your heart rate and intensity.

I love jumping rope, but it aggravates my shin splints worse than running.

May be something to keep in mind if you're susceptible to them.

Man, how do you deal with these? I am already tired of having them. I have not been able to run properly for awhile now. Last time I ran was on a soft soccer pitch during a soccer match and I managed about 10km for 100 minutes in that game.

But as you said if I do a couple of rounds jump rope or go run on the road for more than 3km I feel like I am going to die.

Back