Muay Thai Gym Q&A

Namsaknoi is leaving "Namsaknoi gym" this month. No idea if they will change the name, but he won't be there.

I think I gave you a link to find cheaper accommodation near Sinbi on your other post.

Do you have any idea where Namsaknoi is going? I had seen his post but couldn't work out why he had left or where he was going.

Do you have any idea where Namsaknoi is going? I had seen his post but couldn't work out why he had left or where he was going.

I don't think he has any plan to continue as a trainer. My friend is at Namsaknoi gym and said that he is pretty much checked out already.

I don't think he has any plan to continue as a trainer. My friend is at Namsaknoi gym and said that he is pretty much checked out already.

That is a shame, was thinking about heading out for a bit next year.

Ah well, suppose these things happen.

First ever post in here, so hope this is the right sticky thread as opposed to making a new one.

I've been doing Muay Thai for close to a year now. My old body was breaking down so I left bjj and found a stand up I liked.

I do most sports orthodox, but I do write left handed and hit a baseball left handed. The trainer has told me a couple times I get way more power on switch kicks and knees.

He asked me about trying to train south pay for a bit. It feels awkward as fuck, especially throwing combos with my hands.

Any thoughts? Is this normal for some of us?

just booked our tickets for end of march, gf and i will be heading to bangkok to train for 3 weeks. will be outside of bangkok proper for at least 2 weeks but looking for gyms in the city to hit up in the last 2-3 days before we pack up and fly back over.

was thinking eminent, sittsonpeenong or kiatphontip...any other recommendations?

First ever post in here, so hope this is the right sticky thread as opposed to making a new one.

I've been doing Muay Thai for close to a year now. My old body was breaking down so I left bjj and found a stand up I liked.

I do most sports orthodox, but I do write left handed and hit a baseball left handed. The trainer has told me a couple times I get way more power on switch kicks and knees.

He asked me about trying to train south pay for a bit. It feels awkward as fuck, especially throwing combos with my hands.

Any thoughts? Is this normal for some of us?

Do what feels right, if you're new you shouldn't even be focusing on power

Edit: To be clear I mean do what feels natural, if you feel awkward on one side don't go with that. I ride a skateboard, scooter, etc goofy so I'm sort of in the same boat. I just went orthodox

Do what feels right, if you're new you shouldn't even be focusing on power

Edit: To be clear I mean do what feels natural, if you feel awkward on one side don't go with that. I ride a skateboard, scooter, etc goofy so I'm sort of in the same boat. I just went orthodox

thanks. I was at the gym last night and went soutpw and another dude at the gym (good guy) lol when I was throwing a left to the body.

Another neat thing. While throwing a push kick then inside leg kick, it felt really smooth with my foot placement.

just booked our tickets for end of march, gf and i will be heading to bangkok to train for 3 weeks. will be outside of bangkok proper for at least 2 weeks but looking for gyms in the city to hit up in the last 2-3 days before we pack up and fly back over.

was thinking eminent, sittsonpeenong or kiatphontip...any other recommendations?

I can't speak for others but I just came back from a month stay at Kiatphontip a few weeks ago.

I've heard good things about Eminent but can confidently say that Kiatphontip was an awesome gym to train at. (Solid clinching everyday as well).

Great trainers, great food, great people and the gym's set in a nice relaxing environment away from the pollution and the busy bangkok life, but also close enough to commute into town (bangkok city) whenever you feel like.

Feel free to PM me if you have any furtherquestions.

Hey guys, I will be heading over the Thailand at the end of the year for probably 2-3 months to train. I’ve been travelling the last 3 or so years and haven’t trained properly in this time and due to shoulder surgery won’t be training probably until I go to Thailand. Prior to that though I trained for probably a year and had two fights, though I’m only 50/50 on whether I will fight when I go to Thailand.

I know the training is best in Bangkok but I’m not that keen on doing it there, would love to ideally be near a beach (what better way to recover) but would also be keen on Chang mai or Pai area, just somewhere away from the chaos of the city.

Has anyone got good suggestions of gyms? Bonus points if the gym likes boxing too.

Also does anyone know anything about doing something similar with Brazil and bjj? I plan to travel in South America next year and it could be cool to work something like that into my plans.

Hey guys, I will be heading over the Thailand at the end of the year for probably 2-3 months to train. I’ve been travelling the last 3 or so years and haven’t trained properly in this time and due to shoulder surgery won’t be training probably until I go to Thailand. Prior to that though I trained for probably a year and had two fights, though I’m only 50/50 on whether I will fight when I go to Thailand.

I know the training is best in Bangkok but I’m not that keen on doing it there, would love to ideally be near a beach (what better way to recover) but would also be keen on Chang mai or Pai area, just somewhere away from the chaos of the city.

Has anyone got good suggestions of gyms? Bonus points if the gym likes boxing too.

Also does anyone know anything about doing something similar with Brazil and bjj? I plan to travel in South America next year and it could be cool to work something like that into my plans.

You're better off going to Phuket or Samui for the beach, bjj and boxing. Look at either Phuket Top Team or Superpro in Samui

You're better off going to Phuket or Samui for the beach, bjj and boxing. Look at either Phuket Top Team or Superpro in Samui

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had some time off the last few days and have been doing a lot of research and didn’t realize how expensive it was going to be. I’m looking at Chiang Mai and Pai now cos it’s almost 1/3 the price.

Do you know much about that area? I’m looking at Santai or Hongthong in Chiang Mai or Charn Chai/Bee’s gym or Sit Je Mam in Pai.

I’ll probably go and spend a couple days at each to try them out then settle somewhere long term. But does anyone have any feedback on any of them before I go there?

anyone have suggestions for places to stay around the sitjaopho gym in hua hin? looking to stay between 2-4 months. maybe even more depending on my work situation at the time. i got a recommendation from Ryukyu Damashi, looking for some others if anyone has trained at the gym before.

if there aren't many recommendations then i'll probably stay at the gyms rentals for a couple weeks while i look around.

thanks in advance!

So after initially thinking of going to PTT or AKA i have decided on Rattachai staying at the Nayai resort for three weeks. The fact its less commercial than the big ones a street over and they have a good rotation of trainers made sense for me as I want to concentrate on getting my technique better.

Has anyone stayed in the Nayai resort? There is an option for the cozy one also?

did you end up going to Rattachai? how was it?

I can't speak for others but I just came back from a month stay at Kiatphontip a few weeks ago.

I've heard good things about Eminent but can confidently say that Kiatphontip was an awesome gym to train at. (Solid clinching everyday as well).

Great trainers, great food, great people and the gym's set in a nice relaxing environment away from the pollution and the busy bangkok life, but also close enough to commute into town (bangkok city) whenever you feel like.

Feel free to PM me if you have any furtherquestions.

ended up going to FA group for a private and yokkao for a morning class while in bangkok. took 1 day off to visit the grand palace, wat pho, etc.

did you end up going to Rattachai? how was it?

Yeah went out, was really impressed with it actually.

Technique focused and good hard training. If you are looking to fight they can sort that out really quickly, they also done a good job of getting you working with people of the same level. For example when clinching, i was not clinching with people who had never clinched before, so it was really helpful that way.

Kru Bas and Kru Piew were the main guys I worked with and they were excellent, both still active at the moment.

Kru Rattachai was amazing, he was always around to help out and noticed very small details which he corrected.

Since I have been, Namsaknoi has now become a trainer there, this is huge, i would go back for the fact the place was great but his addition makes it even more appealing.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions about the place.

Hey guys been lurking this thread for awhile, and have finally decided to take the plunge for myself. I'm planning a month long training vacation to Thailand after fall semester of college this year, preferably after New Year. I currently train western boxing at a Mexican style gym and am planning on starting bjj next month, so I wont be a complete noob, but I've never done any form of Kickboxing/Muay Thai. My main focus is technique, clinching, high level private instruction, cleanliness of facilities, and hopefully a more modern style conditioning regiment (not entirely pertinent if other requirements are met). I'm going for a month and would really like to get the most out of my training, getting some kind of infection that could cut my training short, would be a real bummer.

Originally I was planning on going to Phulet Top Team in Chalong, Phuket because the facilities look clean and they offer private Muay Thai lessons at a reasonable price. I was expecting to pay 22,000 baht for 1 month of unlimited classes and 20 private lessons. Plus I figured I can hop into one of the other classes if I was feeling burnt out, or felt like trying something different. However, after reading this thread I realized I could be getting more for money by training only Muay Thai, I mean it is why we're traveling all the way to Thailand after all. So guy's I humbly ask for your advice. What do you recommend I do? I'm from California, will be traveling out of LAX, and am hoping to keep a budget of $2500 USD (flight included 600-800 out of LAX).

I really don't mind what city I travel to as long as the instruction focuses on what I outlined, the facilities are clean, and I'm able to put in lot's of private hours within my budget. Though I was planning a trip to Phuket, my focus is improving in Muay Thai as much as possible in a month, as long as I can relax after training, I'll be fine. I would also like if the conditioning was more modern and performance based, but this isn't a deal breaker as long as there are plenty or recovery options near the gym or my accommodation.
Also please let me know if there is anything I'm not asking that maybe I should be. This will be my first time out the country that isn't Mexico (or forced overseas camping trip) so I may be over looking a few things. Really stoked to finally be going, can't wait to hear your guy's advice. Also in before:

<{poor?}>

I am

Edit:

Also I'd like to avoid injuries, and be in shape when I arrive, so I focus on technique. Not worrying about getting my conditioning up to par. I'm going to focus on distance running since most camps have you run 6-10 miles daily.

Anything else I should focus on? I already do calisthenics and KB explosive routine (deadlifts, cleans, snatches, squat, rows, bench press) with 2x50 lb Kettlebells. Was thinking about adding some rings to my routine for added core strength, and body control.

Last edited:
I'm planning to go to Thailand this December. When is it usually the best time to buy tickets and which airline do you guys recommend? I'll be flying out of L.A.X. Thank you.

Hey guys been lurking this thread for awhile, and have finally decided to take the plunge for myself. I'm planning a month long training vacation to Thailand after fall semester of college this year, preferably after New Year. I currently train western boxing at a Mexican style gym and am planning on starting bjj next month, so I wont be a complete noob, but I've never done any form of Kickboxing/Muay Thai. My main focus is technique, clinching, high level private instruction, cleanliness of facilities, and hopefully a more modern style conditioning regiment (not entirely pertinent if other requirements are met). I'm going for a month and would really like to get the most out of my training, getting some kind of infection that could cut my training short, would be a real bummer.

Originally I was planning on going to Phulet Top Team in Chalong, Phuket because the facilities look clean and they offer private Muay Thai lessons at a reasonable price. I was expecting to pay 22,000 baht for 1 month of unlimited classes and 20 private lessons. Plus I figured I can hop into one of the other classes if I was feeling burnt out, or felt like trying something different. However, after reading this thread I realized I could be getting more for money by training only Muay Thai, I mean it is why we're traveling all the way to Thailand after all. So guy's I humbly ask for your advice. What do you recommend I do? I'm from California, will be traveling out of LAX, and am hoping to keep a budget of $2500 USD (flight included 600-800 out of LAX).

I really don't mind what city I travel to as long as the instruction focuses on what I outlined, the facilities are clean, and I'm able to put in lot's of private hours within my budget. Though I was planning a trip to Phuket, my focus is improving in Muay Thai as much as possible in a month, as long as I can relax after training, I'll be fine. I would also like if the conditioning was more modern and performance based, but this isn't a deal breaker as long as there are plenty or recovery options near the gym or my accommodation.
Also please let me know if there is anything I'm not asking that maybe I should be. This will be my first time out the country that isn't Mexico (or forced overseas camping trip) so I may be over looking a few things. Really stoked to finally be going, can't wait to hear your guy's advice. Also in before:

<{poor?}>

I am

Edit:

Also I'd like to avoid injuries, and be in shape when I arrive, so I focus on technique. Not worrying about getting my conditioning up to par. I'm going to focus on distance running since most camps have you run 6-10 miles daily.

Anything else I should focus on? I already do calisthenics and KB explosive routine (deadlifts, cleans, snatches, squat, rows, bench press) with 2x50 lb Kettlebells. Was thinking about adding some rings to my routine for added core strength, and body control.

If you are looking to go for the main purpose of improving your Muay Thai Skills in a good facility really anywhere on Soi Taied would be able to help you, the issue you have will be you wont get the best value for money when you are there.

If you are looking for value for money you need to go to Bangkok, it will deliver the best level of training with the best prices, you will be able to source your accommodation close to the gym for a good price and will be able to pick from world class gyms all around the city.

If you are set on heading to Phuket I would recommend going to Rattachai and training there, the price is great and the training is superb they are also less busy than some of the other gyms which will allow more one on one time.

all the trainers also offer 1 on 1 sessions should you require this.

give me a shout if you want any more info.

I'm planning to go to Thailand this December. When is it usually the best time to buy tickets and which airline do you guys recommend? I'll be flying out of L.A.X. Thank you.

When is the best time to buy tickets: as early as possible, as soon as you know you're going there and have the dates just book it.

When is the best time to go there: during off season (not December-February which is high season)

Which airline: depends if you want a direct flight which is slightly more expansive but quicker or a longer one with a lay over somewhere which is usually cheaper. Use www.skyscanner.com to check out your different options with prices and fly times.

Back