Gaming headsets

Picked up some Astro A50s and I like them. My old headset was the siberia x300. I paid like $52 after tax for the siberias which were refurbished and $345 for the astros which were new. Almost $300 more. The x300s were in perfect condition.

There is much less bass everything sounds more clear.

The wireless is good on the Astros but its not BT. I would advise against buying any headphones that dont have BT. Im limited to pc/xbox use. Would have liked bt for tv and phone use.

I should have waited for siberia 840s to come down in price or something but i had no patience.

Im looking to buy another pair strictly for movies and music.

I hear good things about sennheiser rs 195s and moda crossfade 2 wireless or some higher end sonys.

Ive heard peope say the sound quality are on par or better than bose but in my experience no headphones are as good as bose. People have told me over the years this or that is better than bose but not once has it ever been true.

Skeptical to buy anything but bose qc35s
Bose are fucking shit at everything but noise-cancellation. Pure shit.

head-gear-300.jpg

I just use Razer Kracken Pro V2 and Razer Surround.... until the meltdown update killed Razer surround.... other than that I have Rig 500hd which are too quiet for my liking.

Get some 7.1 surround cans! Something like the Corsair RGB Void Pro. They are amazing for gaming / watching TV / movies.

How good are 7.1 cans exactly? I have 2 pair of Grados which are decent for jamming out but I've never heard a pair of surround headphones.

I ask about the 7.1 specifically because I spent close to 3 grand on a 7.2 setup and I wonder how the headphones stack up. The speakers are pioneer so nothing special there but my receiver is a Marantz and I have 2 SVS subwoofers that pack quite a punch.

Do the headphones really simulate the difference in dispersion between the side and rear surrounds? I always wonder if I should have went with an atmos setup instead of 7.1 but when it comes to gaming, 7.1 is almost a standard these days. In fact, on PC, you can play any game in 7.1.

How good are 7.1 cans exactly? I have 2 pair of Grados which are decent for jamming out but I've never heard a pair of surround headphones.

I ask about the 7.1 specifically because I spent close to 3 grand on a 7.2 setup and I wonder how the headphones stack up. The speakers are pioneer so nothing special there but my receiver is a Marantz and I have 2 SVS subwoofers that pack quite a punch.

Do the headphones really simulate the difference in dispersion between the side and rear surrounds? I always wonder if I should have went with an atmos setup instead of 7.1 but when it comes to gaming, 7.1 is almost a standard these days. In fact, on PC, you can play any game in 7.1.

It's 100% simulated. They sound... Ok. Compared to your setup they will pale in comparison but for around $60 on amazon right now you can pick up a pair that I suggested above. It's worth it, I can tell the difference between 7.1 and stereo on these, it's night / day.

Gaming headphones are much shittier than actual audiophile headphones. Better off getting a good pairt of real headphones and a standalone mic as the quality of both aspects will be significantly better. If you really want a pair of good gaming headphones though Sennheiser does make sets that use tech based off of (but not equivalent to) some of their audiophile lines. There are Youtube vids that compare quality as well.

While this is the case regular headsets will do it for most. I ended up going the headphone route and next thing you know I own a pair of HD800-S' and a Schitt Jotunheim with a Soundblaster X7 Limited Edition DAC. . . .

Beyerdynamic MMX300's are the lowest I'd go if I was going for a "headset" they're among the best I've ever used.

I just use Razer Kracken Pro V2 and Razer Surround.... until the meltdown update killed Razer surround.... other than that I have Rig 500hd which are too quiet for my liking.

As I have said a few times, the rig 800s are pretty damn good. In terms of gaming headsets $150 and under, I would rank these and any hyper x at the very top.

Also, has anyone else tried the “virtual haircut/dentist/fear” 3D audio tests/displays on YouTube? It was mentioned that it is a pretty accurate test on how good your headphones are a positional audio. I tried all of my headsets. I would rank them at superlux hd668b at number one, Audio Technica m50x number two (I was surprised at this), astros tied the sennheiser 558s for number three, and surprisingly, the beyerdynamic 990 premium last. I did not do the rigs because they are wireless.

The superlux are pretty good at positional audio because they have the biggest sound stage, but they are very treble heavy. Explosions are weak, as are gunshots unless you have it very loud. The Audio-Technicas just sounded great on those tests. They were the only set that did a really good job of putting the barber in front of you at times. All of the other sets had him hovering behind or above you. The electric buzzer actually made me shiver and made my hair stand up with a few of the sets.

This test was fun, but for using it to judge actual gameplay was not accurate, as I think the beyerdynamics are easily the best, followed by the sennheisers, the. Astros, plantronics, superlux, and the Audio-Technicas are last. Though, understand that they are all good headsets.

If I could only use one for gaming, I would choose the rigs because of comfort, game audio, being wireless, and having a dependable mic(still having volume issues with the AntLion mod mic when it works.).

I would choose the Audio Technica for music, beyerdynamic for movies along with the sennheisers.

Also, has anyone else tried the “virtual haircut/dentist/fear” 3D audio tests/displays on YouTube? It was mentioned that it is a pretty accurate test on how good your headphones are a positional audio. I tried all of my headsets. I would rank them at superlux hd668b at number one, Audio Technica m50x number two (I was surprised at this), astros tied the sennheiser 558s for number three, and surprisingly, the beyerdynamic 990 premium last. I did not do the rigs because they are wireless.

The superlux are pretty good at positional audio because they have the biggest sound stage, but they are very treble heavy. Explosions are weak, as are gunshots unless you have it very loud. The Audio-Technicas just sounded great on those tests. They were the only set that did a really good job of putting the barber in front of you at times. All of the other sets had him hovering behind or above you. The electric buzzer actually made me shiver and made my hair stand up with a few of the sets.

This test was fun, but for using it to judge actual gameplay was not accurate, as I think the beyerdynamics are easily the best, followed by the sennheisers, the. Astros, plantronics, superlux, and the Audio-Technicas are last. Though, understand that they are all good headsets.

If I could only use one for gaming, I would choose the rigs because of comfort, game audio, being wireless, and having a dependable mic(still having volume issues with the AntLion mod mic when it works.).

I would choose the Audio Technica for music, beyerdynamic for movies along with the sennheisers.
Right now I'm looking for a decent open-backed headset in the sub-$60 range for a friend, but I can't seem to beat the combination of those semi-open Superlux HD668B ($38) or Samson SR850 ($33) with the Zalman ZM-mic1 ($7), but I would really prefer a better option for the mic. Nothing is as good in that budget range, so you end up having to invest quite a bit more for the next step up in the V-Moda Pro Boom Mic @$30. The other problem is that while neither of us can tolerate wireless-caliber sound value, unlike me, he can't stand cords/mess, so I doubt he would care for the attachable options.

I'm going to end up getting him the Corsair Void Pro USB-version headset for $50, I know it. Closed-back is everything down here. Hell, every gaming headset is closed-back. It's like they don't realize that some of us prefer soundstage (or in my friend's case the ability to hear the doorbell) over noise isolation.

Right now I'm looking for a decent open-backed headset in the sub-$60 range for a friend, but I can't seem to beat the combination of those semi-open Superlux HD668B ($38) or Samson SR850 ($33) with the Zalman ZM-mic1 ($7), but I would really prefer a better option for the mic. Nothing is as good in that budget range, so you end up having to invest quite a bit more for the next step up in the V-Moda Pro Boom Mic @$30. The other problem is that while neither of us can tolerate wireless-caliber sound value, unlike me, he can't stand cords/mess, so I doubt he would care for the attachable options.

I'm going to end up getting him the Corsair Void Pro USB-version headset for $50, I know it. Closed-back is everything down here. Hell, every gaming headset is closed-back. It's like they don't realize that some of us prefer soundstage (or in my friend's case the ability to hear the doorbell) over noise isolation.

Just note the superlux ear pads suck and I can only stand them for a while. I am ordering new pads here, soon. I can say from personal experience(yet) but you can get sennheiser 700x’s used for $80 on amazon(I was just noticed the price when up $17, but they will drop again) and by all accounts, those are the best FPS headsets and have a huge soundstage.

Damn’t, Mick! You have me saying soundstage. If I start talking about warmer or darker V shaped response, I will probably hang myself with a mic cord(I certainly have enough of those lying around here).

Also, I had my kids try the virtual barbershop on the Audio-Technica m50x. It was hilarious. I made them close their eyes, and my son kept turning to look behind him.

I got V Moda XS and M80 and they are the best phones I’ve ever used including some high end Sennheisers.

Bought a pair for my bitch ex but she didn’t appreciate them. They’re pricey but not nearly as expensive as comparable quality phones (2x or 3x more expensive). Buy a refurbished pair for the same money as some shit pretending to be good.

I’ve also got some Beats but those are big and nasty. Won’t complain about sound quality.

Also remember any wireless pair will always be more expensive AND sound worse than wired.

I am looking into V-Modas now. I just bought the Audio Technica ath 700x and I am thinking the cross fades may be next on my list. What sucks is that I just found a pair of used Crossfade on amazon for $150 in the color that I want. I am also keeping an eye out for Crossfade m 100s if they drop below $200. What I do t get is that these have been out for about 4-5 years. They are still that expensive?

I know you have a pair of Beats, but I don’t like them, hate the person that puts them out, and don’t like that vmodas are compared to them.

I am looking into V-Modas now. I just bought the Audio Technica ath 700x and I am thinking the cross fades may be next on my list. What sucks is that I just found a pair of used Crossfade on amazon for $150 in the color that I want. I am also keeping an eye out for Crossfade m 100s if they drop below $200. What I do t get is that these have been out for about 4-5 years. They are still that expensive?

I know you have a pair of Beats, but I don’t like them, hate the person that puts them out, and don’t like that vmodas are compared to them.

Audio equipment doesn’t evolve or degrade over time. Much.

I got these for like $20 (Sades A60), they are pretty damn good and comfortable.

SADES-A60-Game-Headset-7-1-Surround-Sound-Pro-Gaming-Headset-Gamer-Vibration-Function-Headphones-Earphones.jpg

Man, I am a junkie now. I have the Audio-Technica 700x, which have a huge soundstage, but very flat response. If they had a bit more bass, they would be incredible. I had to use rubber bands to make them tight, as they sort of just float there on your ear and I wanted a bit more pressure.

I also had to trade my plantronics rig 800 due to mic issues-nothing serious, I just had to reboot the Xbox after unplugging the base.

I wish I had kept them. I tried the turtle beach 800s again because of a lack of options. Those went right back after a week. Now I have hyper x revolver s until I can get to a best buy that has the rigs. The hyper x are just ok. They are not as good as the cloud 2, and all the features(7.1 surround) does not work with Xbox. So that is frustrating. The sound is a little tinny, and they also just float like the audio techs 700, and I wish I could tighten them up just a bit.

I can’t stress enough how much i regret trading the rig 800s. They were the most comfortable things I ever had on my head. The sound was good, just under the Astro a50s, but at half the price, I am willing to take that little drop. According to everyone on reddit, astros are terrible anyway. I don’t agree, but some of those guys are pretty knowledgeable.

I am also waiting for a pair of Phillips shp9500 and a v-mods boom mic. They are supposed to have a big soundstage and great quality for gaming. So this Friday, we shall see.

A final note. The sennheiser gsp 600s just came out. I have tried to order them multiple times, but they are sold out. They are running at $250. Their predecessor is the gsp 300, which are running $100. They are basically a 500 series with a mic, but the quality is supposed to be good especially for the money. So if anyone is looking for a sub $100 set, this is an option. The game ones/zeros are also an option there as well, but they run $150 and are not in stores around here.

Dude, they are awesome. It's what I'm using at the moment.

77736388-2190-45c4-b750-49641ad8ba0c.jpg._CB282048242__SL300__.jpg

Hyper x Cloud x right now

I can't tell if my settings just aren't set up right but I'm not getting much in the way of directional sound which has been absolutely Kicking My Ass in BF1 hardcore deathmatch where every footstep you take sentences you to death

Back