MMA fighters have similar age to pro golfers, similar athletes?

M

monster zero

As stated in the title, it's not uncommon for many champs in MMA to be competitive in their late 30s, even mid to late 40s similar to professional golfers and bowlers.

Is this because each sport requires similar levels of athleticism, or because the talent pool for each has middling at best average levels of athleticism where they can get away with it.

For instance, if LeBron James played golf from a young age we know his drives would be > than Phil Mickelson's in terms of distance (although Phil would still likely often be #1 in scrambles). Similarly we know he would mop up the Ngannou's (who last 3 minutes at best) and Mark Hunts of the world.

Its definitely because golfers and fighters are 2 sides of the same coin.

zakdE.gif

Its definitely because golfers and fighters are 2 sides of the same coin.

Think about it, both most remain calm and possess endurance in the face of pressure. Wouldn't be hard to imagine a Roy Nelson quality athlete cross over from one sport to the other. Ever hear of John Daly?

You think if Phil Mickelson had a mean streak and started training at age 20 he couldn't become a gate keeper in the sport the same we he is in golf? What would stop him, the athleticism required? Doubtful.

Phil Mickelson is LITERALLY 30 pounds of muscle mass, 3 wins out and being black away from Joe Rogan proclaiming him the baddest man on the planet. Think about that for a second, seriously. At the very least he has a punchers chance of putting anyone away in MMA.

The difference being that fighting requires anaerobic endurance as well as extremely sharp reflexes, which will decline with age

That’s why you see golfers in their 60s but not fighters lol

Cheick Kongo def. has that golf-instinct, always hitting balls

The difference being that fighting requires anaerobic endurance as well as extremely sharp reflexes, which will decline with age

That’s why you see golfers in their 60s but not fighters lol

Randy Couture put in similar levels of reflexes/acuity and obtained a title in his late 40s. You will find many golfers drop off around this age as well but can still contend. Anaerobics aren't hard to obtain, think about all the soccer moms etc involved in HIIT, it's not some kind of special level of athleticism that's unattainable, it can be had over the course of perhaps a 6 months training regimen.

You guys are seriously telling me that if Phil hopped on a cycle like Romero he wouldn't at least be in the mix as a gate keeper?

Romero retains his size year round WHILE maintaining leaness (anyone who body builds knows you bulk and cut if natty), while training an anaerobic discipline at age 40? Put Phil on that designer and he's on the undercard working his way up in a few years.

Basketball is much easier to learn than fighting. Much simpler. And it relies more on athleticism than fighting does.

Basketball is much easier to learn than fighting. Much simpler. And it relies more on athleticism than fighting does.

Put an average untrained street fighter (Ngannou) in the sport for 3-5 years and he is fighting at the pinnacle. Go to a court and find a street baller and try to turn him into an NBA prospect in the same time, or better yet go find a 30 year old on the course and give him 3 years and see if he makes the PGA.

Phil is a natural athlete (similar to Romero and Ngannou) and would pick it up pretty fast I bet. At the very least he'd be a punchers chance from landing like Bisping did on Rockhold and holding the title for a year or two like old man Bisping.

I've never seen a golfer take a punch to the face or defend a sub. Would love to though if anyone has gifs

Fighting requires grit and balls, among many other things. Something golfers and basketball players lack, which is why they never step into a cage or ring. "Money" is just the excuse of pussies.

Fighting requires grit and balls, among many other things. Something golfers and basketball players lack, which is why they never step into a cage or ring. "Money" is just the excuse of pussies.

You ever play a sport that requires as much concentration as golf and tee off in front of a large crow without getting unnerved?

Sitting there in silence waiting for everyone to jump on your weakness and laugh at your misfortune.. You telling me that doesn't take balls of steel? These guys play for MILLIONS on the line, they aren't fighting for 5k to show 5k to win.

Probably just coincidence but it's very interesting thought and worth discussing. I have nothing to add other than that, I'm interested in checking up on this thread. Hearing what others have to say.

Ok I admit...troll thread got me

Not trolling, do you think that MMA requires more athleticism than the average golfer possesses? It's a serious question, if you look at TUF the prospects that go on to win haven't been anything special (Forest Griffin wouldn't be able to transfer over to any other pro sports save Darts, Bowling, Golf etc..) Yet Forest went on to beat Shogun (considered LHW GOAT at the time) and Rampage.

If you think I'm trolling try opening your mind and forgetting your MMA elitism. Roy Nelson was a gate keeper and Forest took down some great names despite being an average joe off the street with a strong will.. Golfers have strong nerves and balls too my friend.

You ever play a sport that requires as much concentration as golf and tee off in front of a large crow without getting unnerved?

Sitting there in silence waiting for everyone to jump on your weakness and laugh at your misfortune.. You telling me that doesn't take balls of steel? These guys play for MILLIONS on the line, they aren't fighting for 5k to show 5k to win.

Im sure it takes some level of nerve and certainly concentration but "balls of steel"? Um no. Not even comparable to facing another highly trained killer in a full contact physical confrontation in front of millions where you risk serious injury, paralysis and death. Especially if theres bad blood involved. Thats enough stress to make you shit out your mouth and go into cardiac arrest after pissing blood.

What's the difference athletically from Phil, keep in mind he's old and not training to fight in this pic and former UFC LHW champ Forest Griffin

article-0-07220A8C000005DC-334_468x329.jpg

forrest-griffin.gif

You think if Phil was maybe 10 or 15 years younger and took some designer drugs similar to what Yoel Romero is on that he couldn't at least make TUF or an undercard or two? Please tell me what Forest Griffin possessed other than a will to get punched in the face. Phil spent a life time learning a frustrating craft and dedicated himself to making it at the highest level, you think that's easy how come you aren't a multi millionaire golfer yourself?

Im sure it takes some level of nerve and certainly concentration but "balls of steel"? Um no. Not even comparable to facing another highly trained killer in a full contact physical confrontation in front of millions where you risk serious injury, paralysis and death. Especially if theres bad blood involved. Thats enough stress to make you shit out your mouth and go into cardiac arrest after pissing blood.

I can tell you I have been in a few fist fights myself as an adolescent and even as a young adult in my early mid twenties and it didn't take much. I can also tell you that I have crumbled trying to hit a nice tee shot in front of a cute beer cart girl and some old ass golfers that were waiting in the cart behind us to tee off.

There is a difference between an adrenaline fueled brawl and remaining calm and composed in the face of adversity, nevermind when millions are riding on it. Phil hits puts on the line with millions on the line and people all over watching, yet he couldn't fight for 5k to show 5k to win on an undercard with 1000 people in the audience?

Why not. Waiting for you guys to dispute this with facts.

Back