Training in Thailand, the good and bad

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can you tell me what it's like? I've heard how inexpensive it is there and the idea of taking 3 months to train 4-5 days a week sounds pretty awesome. Plus, I love Thai food and massages. I heard that Chiang Mai is really affordable but understand there are less gyms there than Bangkok and Phucket. I'm also concerned about some of the scams I read about but understand that as long as you stay away from drugs, prostitutes, scooters, jet skis, tuk tuks, and don't act like a moron that it's pretty safe.

Any stories or advice? My dream trip would be a primary emphasis on training, massages, and eating out a lot, hopefully on a reasonable budget. Secondary emphasis on tourist stuff like sight seeing and hanging out on the beach. Thanks.

Less scam and annoying drunk tourists in the northern regions like Chiang Mai.

Phuket is a very tourist place. It can be cheap to find good deals on gyms and living. Look online but dont pay till you get there. Eating out can be cheap to if you stay away from the big nice fancy places. As long as you dont party, you can live off and train very little

Can you tell me what it's like? I've heard how inexpensive it is there and the idea of taking 3 months to train 4-5 days a week sounds pretty awesome. Plus, I love Thai food and massages.

Its okay man you can say lady boys we're all friends here

Just don't blow all your money on hookers. Use @Julius_Caesar as an example of a cautionary tale.
Not this again Sebastian I thought we already discussed this? @anorak picked up some hookers like he does every so often and I was only there for a few drinks. He got so drunk I had to pay but it wasn't enough and that's when I got dropped with a textbook example of a knee before @Yodsanan came to my aide.

I've trained in Chiang Mai twice. I love it there.

Obviously there's less gyms but I do love how it is up there; bit less of a tourist trap, food is great and the people are extremely nice. The only downside for me was that there wasn't much to do during your downtime like there is in Phuket or one of the islands - I'm mostly talking about beaches here, haha. But then again, you can do a weekend getaway to the islands if you want to. And having not much to do does mean less distractions and temptations, so there's that!

Was just in Thailand. Bangkok is cheaper than Phuket but phuket and the nearby islands Ko phangang and phi phi have better surrounding jungle environments. One thing to watch for is which gym is connected to which promoter/stadium. A lot of fights are rigged to the betters in the crowd and mismatches happen all the time where trained tourists get given tuk tuk drivers.

http://muaythaipros.com/fighting-thailand-good-bad-ugly/

http://muaythaipros.com/the-important-role-of-the-promoter-when-you-fight-in-thailand/

both articles explain how things work in thailand. When i was in phuket I was told the average fighter gets about $100usd in baht for a fight at bangla stadium. thats enough to live in moderation each week if you arent paying top dollar for a gym. thats not including any side bets you put on yourself for the fight

3000 baht is pretty standard for a fight in Phuket. Ive heard smaller gyms like Kaewphitaek give their fighters 5000 but I dont know if thats true. I split my earnings with my trainer and so did anyone I knew who fought so youre really not making much off a fight.

Can you tell me what it's like? I've heard how inexpensive it is there and the idea of taking 3 months to train 4-5 days a week sounds pretty awesome. Plus, I love Thai food and massages. I heard that Chiang Mai is really affordable but understand there are less gyms there than Bangkok and Phucket. I'm also concerned about some of the scams I read about but understand that as long as you stay away from drugs, prostitutes, scooters, jet skis, tuk tuks, and don't act like a moron that it's pretty safe.

Any stories or advice? My dream trip would be a primary emphasis on training, massages, and eating out a lot, hopefully on a reasonable budget. Secondary emphasis on tourist stuff like sight seeing and hanging out on the beach. Thanks.

I found old city Chiang Mai to be as expensive as Phuket. Obviously because of the tourism. I trained at Santai and its 20 minutes outside of Chiang Mai. Not a lot of westerners in the area so costs were much cheaper. 50-60 baht for breakfast. Plenty of temples and sites to see around Chiang Mai. Wed go hiking near Doi Suthep. There are some nice hot springs a 30 min scooter ride away from Santai. I was only at Santai for 2 weeks. Wish i would of spent at least a month there. Ive spent most of my time training in Phuket.

Ive never had a problem with scammers and have never been worried.

Not this again Sebastian I thought we already discussed this? @anorak picked up some hookers like he does every so often and I was only there for a few drinks. He got so drunk I had to pay but it wasn't enough and that's when I got dropped with a textbook example of a knee before @Yodsanan came to my aide.
WHAT??
Who kneed you? XD

Back