Inb4 not the fans because grapple-fest.

not the fans because grapple-fest

Askren is pretty solid and takes Shields any day. The real questions are:
Askren vs Rory
Askren vs Lawler
Askren vs Woodley.
Askren vs GSP.
Askren vs Diaz.

I picture Askren being competitive in every one of these five fights, but can he actually win them?
I am not so sure.

I’d have to say Shields.

Askren. Shields' best work comes from top. He wouldn't get Askren off of him.

Jake Shields has wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Akiyama, Tyron Woodley, and Demian Maia.

Does that answer your question?

Shields by being far superior striker. And great scrambler.

Shields a striker? LOL!! that fight "IF" would stay on the feet would look like Ronda sparring striking with another Ronda...shit

Last edited:
Askren is pretty solid and takes Shields any day. The real questions are:
Askren vs Rory
Askren vs Lawler
Askren vs Woodley.
Askren vs GSP.
Askren vs Diaz.

I picture Askren being competitive in every one of these five fights, but can he actually win them?
I am not so sure.
He could probably beat Diaz and MAYBE Lawler, but gets embarrassed by the rest.

Jake Shields has wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Akiyama, Tyron Woodley, and Demian Maia.

Does that answer your question?
Prime Shields is a top 3 all-time Welterweight for sure, but it's a tough matchup stylistically. Would probably favor Shields though.

Askren. Shields' best work comes from top. He wouldn't get Askren off of him.

At least in training he'd subbed Askren wherever he wanted while Askren couldn't do the same.

Prime Shields is a top 3 all-time Welterweight for sure, but it's a tough matchup stylistically. Would probably favor Shields though.

Shields beat Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia back to back. He beat Dan Henderson. Plus I don't think you are going to find too many Askren fans around here so most in this thread are probably going to say Shields. Shields was also the one that ended GSP's 33 consecutive rounds streak.

Shields, although I think "prime" Shields was at MW and not WW. He had a run of Lawler, Miller, and Henderson at MW. Very impressive.

At least in training he'd subbed Askren wherever he wanted while Askren couldn't do the same.

Great vid. Obviously its just rolling in practice but Jake ain't no joke in the grapple dept.

The correct answer is Marcelo Garcia.

Shields a striker? LOL!! that fight "IF" would stay on the feet would look like Ronda sparring boxing with another Ronda...shit

Good enough to keep Woodley on distance with his kicks...same will happen to Askren.

Back