Ben Askren vs Jake Shields

Shields, although I think "prime" Shields was at MW and not WW. He had a run of Lawler, Miller, and Henderson at MW. Very impressive.

What's also impressive is how close Miller was to Subbing Jake. Miller survived against Jacare...he has some seriously underrated BJJ.

What's also impressive is how close Miller was to Subbing Jake. Miller survived against Jacare...he has some seriously underrated BJJ.

Well, I don't underrate him. That's why he's on my list of impressive victories.

Also, look at Hendo's run that Shields interrupted....

Shields a striker? LOL!! that fight "IF" would stay on the feet would look like Ronda sparring boxing with another Ronda...shit

Hes comparing the 2.

Jake Shields is Silva compared to Askren at striking.

Easy for Shields, Askren isn't on that level.

Jake Shields was a beast. One of many fighters that looked like world beaters until coming up against GSP. Then they looked ordinary and everyone moaned about GSP fighting cans

Shields beat Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia back to back. He beat Dan Henderson. Plus I don't think you are going to find too many Askren fans around here so most in this thread are probably going to say Shields. Shields was also the one that ended GSP's 33 consecutive rounds streak.
Yeah true. To be fair though, probably would have never happened if it hadnt been for the eye poke. But still, great fighter.

Jake Shields has wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Akiyama, Tyron Woodley, and Demian Maia.

Does that answer your question?

No, not even close.

Askren wins.

Gottq go with ben

Another wasted talent. Miller also had a granite chin. If the guys' personal life wasn't such a mess, he would have been a top fighter at 170.

Jake Shields has wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Akiyama, Tyron Woodley, and Demian Maia.

My thoughts exactly.

Shields is more well-rounded, I think most everyone would agree there. But I'd give the nod to Askren in this matchup.

And, a game Dave Menne, back at the Rumble on the Rock WW tournament.

Both in their prime at 170, who wins?

Inb4 not the fans because grapple-fest.
I genuinely don't know, Shields was a beast but that was long before he got to the UFC. The best version of both guys are scary good grapplers. It would be a great fight

At least in training he'd subbed Askren wherever he wanted while Askren couldn't do the same.

This video is soooo old that it's totally irrelevant,not that rolling is super relevant anyway.As for the fight who gives a shit unless it's happening which it isn't.

Back