Ben Askren vs Jake Shields

I’d go with Shields. Still would like to see this match though.

Askren is pretty solid and takes Shields any day. The real questions are:
Askren vs Rory
Askren vs Lawler
Askren vs Woodley.
Askren vs GSP.
Askren vs Diaz.

I picture Askren being competitive in every one of these five fights, but can he actually win them?
I am not so sure.

Askren takes Shields any day, yet Woodley is a test for him?

Yeah, you really know what you're talking about.

Shields, although I think "prime" Shields was at MW and not WW. He had a run of Lawler, Miller, and Henderson at MW. Very impressive.

Lawler had degenerated at MW. His strikeforce run included being outstruck by a nearly retired Babalu. Returning to WW was something like a Phoenix rising.

Last edited:
Jake Shields has wins over Carlos Condit, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Akiyama, Tyron Woodley, and Demian Maia.

Does that answer your question?

Ya, but Askren beat ummmmm......Aoki, Amoussou, Lima, and Heiron....so there's that.

Shields would dominate Askren in an MMA fight or a grappling match. Not even close IMO.

I just don't think many people will agree with you.

You have an elite wrestler with very good grappling going against a high level but not elite grappler with average wrestling. In BJJ, I'll take Shields every time. But not in MMA.

You have an elite wrestler with very good grappling going against a high level but not elite grappler with average wrestling. In BJJ, I'll take Shields every time. But not in MMA.

Well, we'll never know because Askren and Dana decided to flip each other off.

Shields owns him in the jitz dept. with Askren having better TDs.....

In an MMA fight it could go Ben UD or Jake via sub

Askren. Shields' best work comes from top. He wouldn't get Askren off of him.

There was a video of them grappling together and Shields was making Askren work and pretzeling him.

If I can find it I'll post it.

Anyway...this wouldn't be a ground fight. I don't believe Askren would want it there and Jake would have the hardest time taking him down.

Easy win for Shields, People on here underrate how good Shields was.

Shields a striker? LOL!! that fight "IF" would stay on the feet would look like Ronda sparring boxing with another Ronda...shit
Actually while Shield striking is ugly to look at, he often hold his own standing up.

Askren. Shields won't mind obliging Askren to take top position and the judges will see that.

At least in training he'd subbed Askren wherever he wanted while Askren couldn't do the same.

Interesting. Hard to say from just grappling but Shields seems to have the right style to work against Askrens top control. Would be an interesting fight, I domt know who would win but I would bet big on it going to a decision.

At least in training he'd subbed Askren wherever he wanted while Askren couldn't do the same.

Shields is the bigger threat with a submission. But Askren is the Better wrestler and is actually a good ground and pounder.

I would Give Askren the nod in an actual MMA match because I feel he can end up in strong wrestling positions and deliver strikes. But Shields would still be dangerous with a submission. Getting punched in the face makes a big difference than just grappling and going for submissions without worrying about being punched.

<Y2JSmirk> Just my opinion.

Askren. Shields' best work comes from top. He wouldn't get Askren off of him.

agreed. askren reminds me of fitch. and fitch beat shields a little over a year ago by staying active in shields' guard.

Easy for Shields, Askren isn't on that level.

Your wrong. Shields relys on wrestling to him to submission opportunities and to otherwise control his opponent. Askren is the Better wrestler and scrambler and is super slick with ending up on top. It's a pick em fight because shields is a good wrestler with more submission knowledge. But Askren is one of the best at maintaining strong wrestling positions.

Don't underestimate the Funky Juan !!

aEXtFZt.gif

Askren is pretty solid and takes Shields any day. The real questions are:
Askren vs Rory
Askren vs Lawler
Askren vs Woodley.
Askren vs GSP.
Askren vs Diaz.

I picture Askren being competitive in every one of these five fights, but can he actually win them?
I am not so sure.
The sparring wars between Jake and Ben when he use to come out to Cesars, along with Chael.. were epic. And Jake in his prime, Ben and Chael, were learning from, when coming to train. Askren vs Woodley can be seen anytime both are in the gym together at Dukes. Askren vs Nick happened already at Cesars too. Askren vs Lawler has happened when they trained together. UFC protected GSP from Ben when they didn't sign him bitd. Imo, he abuses Rory..

agreed. askren reminds me of fitch. and fitch beat shields a little over a year ago by staying active in shields' guard.
But Jake use to toy with Fitch and Koshcheck during AKA sparring nights.. during their prime.. which is what the TS asked, not current or recent.

Askren takes Shields any day, yet Woodley is a test for him?

Yeah, you really know what you're talking about.

I actually would pick Woodly over Askren. As Woodly has Ko power and shields doesn't he is also strong AF.

I feel while Woodley is not as skilled a wrestler as the Funky Juan . Woodly hits harder and is good enough to land the more damaging strikes. Provided he can keep from Askren being on top.

That would be interesting to see if Askren can wrangle another wrestler with power.

<Dana05> .

Back