MMA fighters have similar age to pro golfers, similar athletes?

Randy Couture put in similar levels of reflexes/acuity and obtained a title in his late 40s. You will find many golfers drop off around this age as well but can still contend. Anaerobics aren't hard to obtain, think about all the soccer moms etc involved in HIIT, it's not some kind of special level of athleticism that's unattainable, it can be had over the course of perhaps a 6 months training regimen.

There is some quality trolling going on in this thread

Golf is probably the most difficult sport to reach the pinnacle in of all sports.

MMA not so much.

Physically however, IDK if athleticism is a huge factor in golf at all. It is part of it, but a small part.

Literally 99% of NBA,NFL,MLB athletes all play golf the majority have lessons,coaches and are elite athletes and yet none have ever crossed over into professional golf (besides a couple one-offs)

TS is clearly on point. The sports require similar levels of athleticism. I don't believe the PGA has ever had a champion as old as Couture was. But frankly, golf requires far, far more skill.

This thread makes me miss Golf so much, I used to play it often about 8 years ago, it was fun and relaxing at the same time. I find Golf really boring to watch, but if you actually play it then its fun and enjoyable.

Randy Couture put in similar levels of reflexes/acuity and obtained a title in his late 40s. You will find many golfers drop off around this age as well but can still contend. Anaerobics aren't hard to obtain, think about all the soccer moms etc involved in HIIT, it's not some kind of special level of athleticism that's unattainable, it can be had over the course of perhaps a 6 months training regimen.

Randy couture was on TRT lmfao ......FACT

It' the only reason he was even competitive that long......horrible choice in example TS.

I've never seen a golfer take a punch to the face or defend a sub. Would love to though if anyone has gifs
81Mzpy

81Mzpy

Its definitely because golfers and fighters are 2 sides of the same coin.
Fuck , the way they swing those clubs is VERY similar to the method I've seen some guys use to swing fists. And the grit of golfers is legendary.

Also, salespeople tend to peak in that age range as well. And some of those guys are real animals. Basically MMA fighters without the fighting, right?

Fighting is COMPLETELY different from ball sports comparisons are useless and often very wrong......cough cough.....

None of these guys have been punched in the has or kicked in the head by a professional.......

Tiger woods,mickeldon,happy fucking Gilmore all get absolutely fucking wrecked in an mma fight .....like seriously it's fucking amazing someone would think otherwise.

As stated in the title, it's not uncommon for many champs in MMA to be competitive in their late 30s, even mid to late 40s similar to professional golfers and bowlers.

Is this because each sport requires similar levels of athleticism, or because the talent pool for each has middling at best average levels of athleticism where they can get away with it.

For instance, if LeBron James played golf from a young age we know his drives would be > than Phil Mickelson's in terms of distance (although Phil would still likely often be #1 in scrambles). Similarly we know he would mop up the Ngannou's (who last 3 minutes at best) and Mark Hunts of the world.

Just because LeBron James is good at basketball doesn't make him a proven great at EVERYTHING.

Assuming he would just pick up golf or MMA as easily or as fast as he did basketball is overwhelmingly unintelligent.There are guys who have excelled at multiple sports but it's very rare.

Especially MMA it's not the same AT ALL .

I'm gonna reply to this thread simply because...I find so many things wrong + I detect a kind of snobbishness and ignorance which kind of pisses me off.

I've played a bit of golf and have wrassled (a little bit of striking experience) and I am telling you...they are nothing alike.

People who havent put enough thought into things are quick to delve into so-called "similarities" when really they haven't even scratched the surface regarding the core differences. You are seriously gonna compare the mental, physical process involved in setting up a triangle or kimura (which is actually highly dependent on your opponent's skills and body composition) with getting a friggin par or eagle?

The differences are quite substantial...one sport you use a metal rod to swing, there are many environmental factors that come into play (wind, grass condition, course difficulty)..another you use nothing but your bare body .

I cannot say which sport has more complexity, but I can say that they involve different kinds of complexity. The confusion here is that everyone has a different definition of athleticism (and rightfully so).

I believe MMA is a sport that requires an immense amount of training and dedication. Yes shit goes crazy when your dealing with heavyweights, but bring it down to the lightweight, welterweight level, and it really is a game of inches (different kind of inches from putting)

I have landed blows on peoples faces, I have grappled with bums in the street. I have NEVER sunk an eagle.

Also you simplify the terrain of MMA in comparison to golf. Each golf course has it's challenges, and match up to different people's strengths. The human body is the terrain in MMA. Dealing with peoples length, timing, power, technical skills and even trash talk are all variables that come into play and have to be navigated and game planned for. Quit selling MMA short.

You put Phil Mickelson in right now on a series of TUF straw weight women I think he emerges at the top even without training. If you disagree, you're an imbecile.

I have landed blows on peoples faces, I have grappled with bums in the street. I have NEVER sunk an eagle.

I have driven a perfect shot at the driving range,I have sunk a hole in one at mini golf,I've never landed a single strike or takedown on a ranked professional mixed martial artist.

TS is right. I trained with several UFC fighters throughout my life and never had an issue with them grappling or sparring. Despite most of them being LHW and me at WW.

I got into golfing later and sometimes roll around with the old dudes. Their old man strength is crazy because of years gripping a club. They shut me down pretty easily despite being 20+ years older, up to 50 lbs lighter, and never having a minute of BJJ training in their lives.

This thread reminds me of the time me and a couple of other Sherdoggers joined a golf forum and started making MMA-related posts, like "Vijay would be the UFC HW champ with 3 months of TDD training."

Basketball is much easier to learn than fighting. Much simpler. And it relies more on athleticism than fighting does.
More of a jumping around type of athleticism.. Less wear on the knees required.

This thread reminds me of the time me and a couple of other Sherdoggers joined a golf forum and started making MMA-related posts, like "Vijay would be the UFC HW champ with 3 months of TDD training."

Kinda curious how the older more mature golf regulars would react to some low-brow Sherdog trolling.

Back