What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

So this guy at work gives me this David Weber book. Oath of Swords. Weber is known for sci-fi, but he tells me it is fantasy, as he knows I prefer that genre.

Normal fantasy story through 80% of the book. And then the wizard summons a champion from another world (multi-verse).......what world does he summon from? Well our world of course, enter a U.S. Marine with a tank, into a traditional fantasy world, with elves, and dwarves, and wizards. Definitely jumped the shark, but I enjoyed it. Just started the 2nd book of the 4 book series.

Just finished Oathbringer, it was good but probably the weakest of the three books so far.

Just about to start The King Killer Chronicles.
I'm done with The King Killer Chronicles (waiting on the 3rd book) It's one of, if not the best fantasy series I've read. I loved Kvothe and Rothfuss's style of writing. The Felurian chapters lost me for a little bit, but as soon as he got back to the University it all fell into place.

I'm on the second book from the Mistborn series atm, it's good and I enjoy Sanderson but sometimes his writing can feel a little PG-13 when it needs to be a hard R.

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Dude goes back in time to stop JFK assassination. I’m about halfway through and it’s already my favorite King book. The guy is a really underrated Sci Fi author. His story “The Jaunt” is one of his best work and I think it’s main inspiration was the sci fi classic The Stars my Destination.

They made a mini series with James Franco, a lot of people slated it but I really enjoyed it, worth checking out imo.

Currently reading Well of Ascention. Been going through Sandersons books. It's pretty decent.

51SV1GPVJHL._SX285_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

510xF0f9CxL.jpg

I've never read a Stephen King book, where's a good place to start?

I really enjoyed the first three books of his Gunslinger series. It was also released as a graphic novel with crazy good artwork by this dude Jae lee

388196-29238.jpg

Just started Ready Player One last night. I'm already loving it.

After this I'm going to hunt down the sequel to The Forever War. It was one of my favorite books ever, but the rest of the series isn't on kindle.

Last edited:
So this guy at work gives me this David Weber book. Oath of Swords. Weber is known for sci-fi, but he tells me it is fantasy, as he knows I prefer that genre.

Normal fantasy story through 80% of the book. And then the wizard summons a champion from another world (multi-verse).......what world does he summon from? Well our world of course, enter a U.S. Marine with a tank, into a traditional fantasy world, with elves, and dwarves, and wizards. Definitely jumped the shark, but I enjoyed it. Just started the 2nd book of the 4 book series.
Seems like something I would like. Weird juxtaposition of two styles. Reminded me of those old "Lost Regiment" books a tad bit.
362138.jpg

If you like that premise, check out "Grunts" by Mary Gentle. It's a dark comedy/fantasy.
A tribe of orcs are hired by a necromancer to steal a dragons treasure. The treasure turns out to be a gigantic cache of modern military guns, munitions, and vehicles. It's also enchanted so that the orcs start turning into stereotypical marines. It's sort of Full Metal Jacket meets LotR.

If you like that premise, check out "Grunts" by Mary Gentle. It's a dark comedy/fantasy.
A tribe of orcs are hired by a necromancer to steal a dragons treasure. The treasure turns out to be a gigantic cache of modern military guns, munitions, and vehicles. It's also enchanted so that the orcs start turning into stereotypical marines. It's sort of Full Metal Jacket meets LotR.

Lol

nice. i really loved the first book in that series, and have been wanting to find time to read the other two.
Just started the first. A buddy let me borrow them, and said it is basically a must read trilogy for SF fans. Hopefully he didn't hype it up too much, but he and I have similar tastes in SF.

Just started the first. A buddy let me borrow them, and said it is basically a must read trilogy for SF fans. Hopefully he didn't hype it up too much, but he and I have similar tastes in SF.
i found the first book really interesting as science fiction told from a chinese perspective. also a cool take on the "virtual reality" theme you see in a lot of SF.

If you guys like those kind of books then you should try A. Lee Martinez.
518HFzlAW6L.__BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg
Gils_all_fright_diner.jpg
martinez-a_monster.jpg

Back