cruz is king of smack take

Hmm. My definition of trash talk is what Conor and Mayweather were doing when they done that tour. They'd gotten down to just calling each other 'bitch' by the 3rd stop. I don't think Cruz is really a trash talker - and like you said - he's pointing out facts a lot of the time. He's never really had a verbal sparring match where someone put it up to him, so to speak.

I would think that throwing insults at someone is more along the lines of 'trash talk' because you're trashing them. I think because a lot of the gyms in the States and the fighters, coaches, et al sort of know each other, you don't tend to see those type of insults going back and forth between them, but I bet behind closed doors they're not talking about their opponent in a positive way. Calling someone German a Nazi isn't what I'd tend to find anything humorous behind it. People forget Siver was the one who came out and started speaking about Conor first.

I wouldn't get offended by anything a fighter says, but I think if you start bringing family or nationality into it, you're asking for trouble. I thought Conor was out of order the way he mentioned dos Anjos' kids, but like Sonnen, Bisping and a couple of others, I don't think he takes it too seriously what he says.

Bisping is probably the most called out fighter in UFC history. I wouldn't call him a 'trash talker' either as it's more 'roasting' someone or slagging/taking the piss out of someone as we'd call it. There's a lot of fighters who like to keep it quiet and have no fuss before a fight, whereas others just let loose. While people think fighters are doing it as some sort of WWE promo, we tend to forget they have to go out and fight and risk serious harm.

The only thing that would make me think 'oh, shut up' is if someone can dish it out but can't take it. Woodley being one of them.
Meh, I don't know.
I understand jokes or even talking down someone's weak points, or even discrediting someone's strong suite (i.e. you are a BB in BJJ? How will you submit me if you can't take me down?).
That's talking trash (to me).

Cursing at someone, gloating about money, calling someone a Nazi or saying he lives in the favelas... sorry, this is not trash talking anymore. It is just lowering the level so the idiot speaking wins as he is used to lower-level talk.

Trash talk is intelligent. It is not just cursing at someone.

I got to admit, his "fling-on-a-string" trash talk over No Dad is hilarious.

Meh, I don't know.
I understand jokes or even talking down someone's weak points, or even discrediting someone's strong suite (i.e. you are a BB in BJJ? How will you submit me if you can't take me down?).
That's talking trash (to me).

I feel like that's why they put on these press conferences with all the fighters - so they can go back and forth with one another. You see an MMA writer lobbing a bomb by saying to fighter X "Your opponent said your striking is poor - how do you feel about that?" And it kicks off from there. I just see them as amateur roasting sessions up there and don't really take too much stock of what's said. If something is funny, it's funny.

I'm not trying to rank who is the best 'trash/shit talker' but Cruz is very subtle in how he goes about it. I don't think TAM are full of scholars, or any gym for that matter, but they're like a pack of Hyenas when one of them was fighting Cruz.

Cursing at someone, gloating about money, calling someone a Nazi or saying he lives in the favelas... sorry, this is not trash talking anymore. It is just lowering the level so the idiot speaking wins as he is used to lower-level talk.

Trash talk is intelligent. It is not just cursing at someone.

Whatever the definition of it is to some people, I think there's elements of it to get under someone's skin, haze them over a past performance or just a general comment that winds them up.

I rolled my eyes when Dana said Conor was the master of psychological warfare/new Ali just as much as Rogan was talking about how nothing could affect Diaz mentally as he grew up with his brother. The thing with Aldo getting so wound up I don't understand it. People were saying he disrespected Brazil - but what did he say? I don't think he mocked Aldo for coming from a favela. He made that goofy comment about if it was a different time he'd ride into his favela and kill anyone not fit to work - it's hardly a dynamic piece of shit talking, and how often does Conor say he doesn't care about what people say, yet some opponents still seem to be riled up by it.

Smack Take? Is this a new FS1 show with

skip-bayless-nick-saban.png
Skip is easily a top five all time bad sports analyst. He's like the mainstream Mike Goldberg.

GSP is the king of taking shit talk.
He just sits there and takes it and smiles.

I thought GSP hiring that male nurse to come in and mess with Koscheck during TUF was absolutely brilliant. He absorbed all the drama and had Koscheck so riled up while GSP sat there laughing.

I HATE it when Cruz talks massive sass. But, he’s really fuckin good at it, imo. Even if it does make him look douchey.

I feel like that's why they put on these press conferences with all the fighters - so they can go back and forth with one another. You see an MMA writer lobbing a bomb by saying to fighter X "Your opponent said your striking is poor - how do you feel about that?" And it kicks off from there. I just see them as amateur roasting sessions up there and don't really take too much stock of what's said. If something is funny, it's funny.

I'm not trying to rank who is the best 'trash/shit talker' but Cruz is very subtle in how he goes about it. I don't think TAM are full of scholars, or any gym for that matter, but they're like a pack of Hyenas when one of them was fighting Cruz.

Whatever the definition of it is to some people, I think there's elements of it to get under someone's skin, haze them over a past performance or just a general comment that winds them up.

I rolled my eyes when Dana said Conor was the master of psychological warfare/new Ali just as much as Rogan was talking about how nothing could affect Diaz mentally as he grew up with his brother. The thing with Aldo getting so wound up I don't understand it. People were saying he disrespected Brazil - but what did he say? I don't think he mocked Aldo for coming from a favela. He made that goofy comment about if it was a different time he'd ride into his favela and kill anyone not fit to work - it's hardly a dynamic piece of shit talking, and how often does Conor say he doesn't care about what people say, yet some opponents still seem to be riled up by it.
But that's the thing.
Diaz shut Conor up with trash talk (Touch-butt in the park, etc).
That's trash talk, it is comedy and it was gold.

If Conor was so good at trash talking, he would have some sort of retort. But he didn't, and it showed.
It was much like GSP when he fought Nate. he couldn't take the trash talk, and he sounded terrible.

Yes, trash-talking is to get under your opponent's skin. But it doesn't matter if hurling insults at them does the same thing, this is not trash talking anymore.
The end-objective might be the same, but they are not. And this is what most MMA fans don't understand.

Heck, even Connor have some great pearls. The "who the fook are you" was great!
But the majority is not. It is just insults masked as Trash talk... and mostly because the audience don't know better.

But that's the thing.
Diaz shut Conor up with trash talk (Touch-butt in the park, etc).
That's trash talk, it is comedy and it was gold.

But that's sort of the risk you take when you talk like that. Folk are even scoring press conferences now or turning into armchair psychologists. That was a good one from Diaz but I also thought the gun signs with the right hand and animal balloons with the left hand was a good one - just because Diaz is so uptight when he does press conferences. That press conference went a bit flat when Diaz kept asking who Conor trained with and Conor was telling Diaz his socks were worth more than everything he was wearing.

If Conor was so good at trash talking, he would have some sort of retort. But he didn't, and it showed.
It was much like GSP when he fought Nate. he couldn't take the trash talk, and he sounded terrible.

I don't think either Diaz is a great 'trash talker' They mumble a lot and I genuinely can't understand what they're saying. The press conference with GSP was slightly amusing but confusing on the whole. Something about meeting bumping into one another and Diaz sr talking about not moving out of the way of GSP which seemed to annoy GSP a bit. I think they're up there as the best at talking in the middle of a fight, but outside of that, you can tell they're highly uncomfortable on the dais.

Yes, trash-talking is to get under your opponent's skin. But it doesn't matter if hurling insults at them does the same thing, this is not trash talking anymore.
The end-objective might be the same, but they are not. And this is what most MMA fans don't understand.

Heck, even Connor have some great pearls. The "who the fook are you" was great!
But the majority is not. It is just insults masked as Trash talk... and mostly because the audience don't know better.

Yeah, but they're not comedians. Even Miocic on the Embedded seems funny but when he does the press conferences he answers the questions in a formal manner. I don't believe in the whole 'talking your way to a certain point' They still have to get in there and fight. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose.

only 15 yearold wigger kids like conor thinking hes a good shit talker chael and dom are obviously the best watch dom owning tj here a thing of beauty how he never raises his voice makes people so mad lol

what's a wigger?

please tell me in your own words .. It's better that way .

But that's sort of the risk you take when you talk like that. Folk are even scoring press conferences now or turning into armchair psychologists. That was a good one from Diaz but I also thought the gun signs with the right hand and animal balloons with the left hand was a good one - just because Diaz is so uptight when he does press conferences. That press conference went a bit flat when Diaz kept asking who Conor trained with and Conor was telling Diaz his socks were worth more than everything he was wearing.

I don't think either Diaz is a great 'trash talker' They mumble a lot and I genuinely can't understand what they're saying. The press conference with GSP was slightly amusing but confusing on the whole. Something about meeting bumping into one another and Diaz sr talking about not moving out of the way of GSP which seemed to annoy GSP a bit. I think they're up there as the best at talking in the middle of a fight, but outside of that, you can tell they're highly uncomfortable on the dais.

Yeah, but they're not comedians. Even Miocic on the Embedded seems funny but when he does the press conferences he answers the questions in a formal manner. I don't believe in the whole 'talking your way to a certain point' They still have to get in there and fight. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose.
You guys are gettin lil too emotional over who's the better trash talker... who really cares

Smack take is serious business

But that's sort of the risk you take when you talk like that. Folk are even scoring press conferences now or turning into armchair psychologists. That was a good one from Diaz but I also thought the gun signs with the right hand and animal balloons with the left hand was a good one - just because Diaz is so uptight when he does press conferences. That press conference went a bit flat when Diaz kept asking who Conor trained with and Conor was telling Diaz his socks were worth more than everything he was wearing..

That's the thing though, and illustrate what I was talking about.
Bashing Conor on who was training him is trash talking.
But telling Nate that his clothes are more expensive... what the fuck does that prove? Nothing. That's why IMO this is not trash talking, unless they were both rich economists gloating on who can make more money...

Nate was talking trash.
Conor? being an idiot. (Not saying everything Conor says are bad, some were good (like I mentioned before).
Gloating about money has nothing to do with MMA, so this is not good trash talking.

I don't think either Diaz is a great 'trash talker' They mumble a lot and I genuinely can't understand what they're saying. The press conference with GSP was slightly amusing but confusing on the whole. Something about meeting bumping into one another and Diaz sr talking about not moving out of the way of GSP which seemed to annoy GSP a bit. I think they're up there as the best at talking in the middle of a fight, but outside of that, you can tell they're highly uncomfortable on the dais..

I seriously think they both have some Mental disorder that makes huge introverts. They don't like it. But they are not an act either, which is why I dislike guys like Conor who are NOT the personna you see in interviews, he chooses to act like that. And if you do that, it means you could act differently, be more respectful. Or go full blown comedian like Sonnen went. Yes, Sonnen also offends, but it is a different kind of offense.

That's the thing. If Conor didn't dress up like that, talked like that and acted like that, no way in hell he would get where he is.
He would not get the same matchups, he would not get to the FW belt so fast (not without going through Frankie first) and would definitely not get a LW belt right after.
Same with Sonnen. If he didn't change his personna and became the guy he is today, he would have never gotten the first match with Silva, let alone the second one (and a title shot against Jon Jomnes and TUF, etc and all).
SO they did talk their way into those matches. But like you said, you gotta win them.... though you see that even though Sonnen never did (when it counted), he was indeed one of the highest paid fighters and it was all because of his amazing skills on the microphone.

Edit: By the way, Just want to put there that I like very much our discussion. Even though I might disagree sometimes, know that it is not in everything, and that I enjoy very much looking at it in your perspective!

That's the thing though, and illustrate what I was talking about.
Bashing Conor on who was training him is trash talking.
But telling Nate that his clothes are more expensive... what the fuck does that prove? Nothing. That's why IMO this is not trash talking, unless they were both rich economists gloating on who can make more money...

Mmm, but I didn't see what Diaz was trying to get at with that. He was talking about training with the best sparring partners in the world - as all fighters usually do - I bet if Conor said something like; 'not one of your team mates have won a UFC title' Diaz would have replied with something like 'eh, we don't fight midgets' even though Diaz is usually taller and has a longer reach than his opponents. Hickson Gracie was doing unconventional training methods and his son (whose name I can't remember) trains with Diaz and Conor made a reference to it which Diaz glossed over.

Well, the money thing would have annoyed Diaz as he's always being vocal about not getting paid enough and at that current time he was on 40K in total if he won. He even did an interview complaining about CM Punk being in the UFC - not for the fact he hadn't fought even an amateur fight, but that he'd probably make more money in 1 fight than Diaz had before he fought Conor. When they did go on that financial show, for whatever reason, Diaz had enough and stormed off. Though I'll give my opinion further down why i think he did.

I seriously think they both have some Mental disorder that makes huge introverts. They don't like it. But they are not an act either

I think both of them have some sort of anxiety related stuff going on. Diaz sr seems to be the worst affected by it. I've always noticed when he answers a question at a press conference he'll take a big breath in - which is panic attack prevention 101. After the 2nd press conference Diaz stormed off that 'money programme' and just before he did he was twiddling with his mic before he took it off and walked out. I felt like he was having a panic attack there - I have them myself - and that was what came to mind. Or I could be absolutely wrong.

I dislike guys like Conor who are NOT the personna you see in interviews, he chooses to act like that. And if you do that, it means you could act differently, be more respectful.

Closer to a fight you can see a change in his demeanour, for sure. I don't think that means he's putting on a persona, but more flicking the switch up a notch mentally. What interviews are you referring to by the by by being more respectful? Look at the outfit he wore before 205 and the Mink top on the world tour - I don't think many people would wear outfits like that and I thought before 205 that outfit was a bit gimmicky and it wasn't only until a couple of days later I seen the picture of Joe Frazier wearing that outfit.

I get why people dislike him. But my take on him is if he was as arrogant as he's perceived, you wouldn't have all those Irish folk coming over for his fights. I think a lot of it is just him fucking about and if he was so ego centric, he'd need to be fed the attention he supposedly craves on a regular basis. Folk were talking about how quiet he went when Ferguson and Nurmagomedov were talking about him, but he goes off the grid after his fights and you don't see him being pictured out and about at home or doing interviews.

I've heard Rogan say he's treated like a God in Ireland - he's not. Most of those fans who travel over for the fights are going to Vegas just as much for the piss up than to watch the actual fight

That's the thing. If Conor didn't dress up like that, talked like that and acted like that, no way in hell he would get where he is.

But he didn't get into the UFC without doing well on the regional circuit and I roll my eyes when people say he only fights for the money - seriously?

He would not get the same matchups, he would not get to the FW belt so fast (not without going through Frankie first) and would definitely not get a LW belt right after.
Same with Sonnen. If he didn't change his personna and became the guy he is today, he would have never gotten the first match with Silva, let alone the second one (and a title shot against Jon Jomnes and TUF, etc and all).
SO they did talk their way into those matches. But like you said, you gotta win them.... though you see that even though Sonnen never did (when it counted), he was indeed one of the highest paid fighters and it was all because of his amazing skills on the microphone.

I agree with the latter part of that, but you paint a picture that he was handed everything to him. He went out and did his media, drew attention to himself by slagging everyone in the FW division off and people tend to forget he could've pulled out of 189 with his knee - though he wouldn't have earned the money he did - at the end of the day, he signed to fight and, yeah, Mendes wasn't in camp and Edgar claimed Conor turned him down - same as Cerrone who mentioned he was turned down 3 times - but if he lost that fight, I'd have to think they would've still done the Aldo fight because of the build up and money spent, but he still fought.

Same as 196. In the lead up to 202, Florian on his podcast had mentioned that Conor had staph before the fight and was on antibiotics during part of his training camp. But he signed to fight Diaz, lost fair and square and didn't sit out and wait when a lot of fighters would have - though they're not in the same position Conor is financially. He said so himself he pointed to 189 and 196 as to why he should get the Diaz rematch immediately.

I agree in the name of sport that Conor shouldn't have got the title shot at 155. I don't know what everyone's personal take on that fight being made, but some folk were up in arms that Conor got the rematch with Diaz and pointed out it made no sense at the time and questioned how Conor could get a title shot after going 1-1 and winning the closest majority decision in MMA history. Anyway, I'm still trying to work out if Ferguson was injured when Alvarez got the title shot - it's the only reason I can think of.

New York has a huge Irish population, the ticket prices were ridiculous and would that event have sold out if it was Alvarez and Nurmagomedov - I'm not so sure. I don't think I've ever seen a Dagestan or Russian flag when he's fought and his looney manager points out how big of a draw he is by Embedded views. I'm not going to pretend I don't know why they let Conor fight Alvarez. He wasn't canvassing for it, it was Alvarez who called him out. It's situations like that why I think the UFC would be better off getting rid of PPV as it plays a huge factor in who gets a title shot.

Then you look at Conor's record of having 4 fights in 11 months compared to Nurmagomedov having 4 in 4 years. How Ferguson didn't get a title shot in that space of time only came up when his win streak got longer - I don't care if someone is a draw or not, but a lot of folk didn't give a shit about Ferguson at the time or there wasn't really a large out cry as to why he hadn't fought for the belt.

Back