Rewatched Whittaker/Romero

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- Easily 2-2 going into the 5th
- Biggest moment in the fight was when Romero fell in the 5th. Looked like he overextended himself during a strike and slipped.
- That said, Whittaker's top control was amazing in the 5th. Gassed or not, Romero cannot be easy to control on the ground. Whittaker deserved to win R5 and the fight.
- Whittaker landed some decent GnP in the 5th for a bit. Has anyone ever landed GnP on Romero lol?
- Whittaker is definitely the better striker. He was crisp, fast and had power. Romero went for takedowns for a reason.
- Whittaker is FAST. Romero looked almost normal speed for once. His speed was a key factor is making Romero look human for once.

tumblr_osttmcLXq01u6fe5yo1_500.gif

- Goddamn Whittaker has good TDD and a great ability to get back up, especially toward the end.

GrandUnnaturalKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

- I don't see Romero doing what he did to Rockhold to Whittaker. Kickboxing with Whittaker without any TD threat might get Romero TKOed eventually.
- Whittaker was gassed toward the end too. Romero actually has decent cardio and knows how to pace himself. Whittaker gave him little time to rest, though.

Easily the most underrated fight of 2017 IMO. Loved the fight and can't wait for these two to fight again.

robert-whittaker-ufc-213.jpg

152_Yoel_Romero_and_Robert_Whittaker.1499473588.jpg

Romero delivered more during the first two rounds, going for takedowns and controlling Whittaker against the fence.

Whittaker opened up in rounds 3 and 4, with nice punches/kicks combinations. Romero seemed to slow down/pace himself a bit. It's almost like he "gave" Whittaker round 3.

Last round, as you said, Romero went down and Whittaker had top control.

What surprised me the most is Whittaker takedown defense and his cardio. He's a really well rounded fighter, with an agressive style that did not suited Romero.

In my opinion, in a rematch, i favor Whittaker again. If he's healthy and with his two legs, i can't see how Romero takes this. Maybe with a flash KO..

great fight. romero took off rounds 3 and 4 and paid the price. whittaker showed tremendous heart and skill in that fight. romero was looking strong in the 5th until whittaker got on top of him and took the round and the belt.

this fight will be interesting. coin toss. i feel that romero might be able to do a little bit more and take the fight this time around. he sold out too much on takedowns in rounds 3 and 4 and paid the price. he's never had that much trouble taking someone down. i think he'll have a better takedown strategy this time around.

Whittaker is the shit.
A videogame nerd and a family man.

Soldier of Gay Jesus comes across as a hardcore religious nutcase, a bully, and a bigot.

While Yoel certainty doesn't deserve a rematch (missed weight) I hope Bobby knocks his head clean off.

07cbcc9c6c47c22c30fc79f3fe713572

- Easily 2-2 going into the 5th
- Biggest moment in the fight was when Romero fell in the 5th. Looked like he overextended himself during a strike and slipped.
- That said, Whittaker's top control was amazing in the 5th. Gassed or not, Romero cannot be easy to control on the ground. Whittaker deserved to win R5 and the fight.
- Whittaker landed some decent GnP in the 5th for a bit. Has anyone ever landed GnP on Romero lol?
- Whittaker is definitely the better striker. He was crisp, fast and had power. Romero went for takedowns for a reason.
- Whittaker is FAST. Romero looked almost normal speed for once. His speed was a key factor is making Romero look human for once.

tumblr_osttmcLXq01u6fe5yo1_500.gif

- Goddamn Whittaker has good TDD and a great ability to get back up, especially toward the end.

GrandUnnaturalKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

- I don't see Romero doing what he did to Rockhold to Whittaker. Kickboxing with Whittaker without any TD threat might get Romero TKOed eventually.
- Whittaker was gassed toward the end too. Romero actually has decent cardio and knows how to pace himself. Whittaker gave him little time to rest, though.

Easily the most underrated fight of 2017 IMO. Loved the fight and can't wait for these two to fight again.

robert-whittaker-ufc-213.jpg

152_Yoel_Romero_and_Robert_Whittaker.1499473588.jpg
I had it 49-46 for Whittaker. Both are beasts but Whittaker is just on a different level from everybody else at MW.

Whittaker strikes me as another Stipe. Gets the job done. Doesn't hype himself up to the media and play games. I like him.

At that level if you take a round off. It can cost you the fight. Ala Johny Hendricks in rd 5, vs GSP.

If you let shit go to the judges. When the fight was yours for the taking. You shouldn’t be surprised if you lose, imo.

Hope bobby hands gets healthy and returns quick so this rematch can go down.. Romero with a few more kicks to that knee might b champ..

How can anyone not be impressed with Whittaker?

I love how he was sitting with Bisping, and Bisping tries to talk shit and Whittaker tells him he has always been a huge fan... Bisping laughs and basically says "fuck it", he can't talk shit to this guy.

Really funny moment.

great fight. romero took off rounds 3 and 4 and paid the price. whittaker showed tremendous heart and skill in that fight. romero was looking strong in the 5th until whittaker got on top of him and took the round and the belt.

this fight will be interesting. coin toss. i feel that romero might be able to do a little bit more and take the fight this time around. he sold out too much on takedowns in rounds 3 and 4 and paid the price. he's never had that much trouble taking someone down. i think he'll have a better takedown strategy this time around.
The issue I see is that Romero won't win a decision on the feet, and going for too many takedowns will gas him. That leaves him with two options: Go for the KO, or look to maybe get one takedown per round to barely win a few rounds. He's fast enough to catch anybody, but Whittaker is far better on the feet than Rockhold. The second approach may work since judges score takedowns way too heavily IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Whittaker outstruck Romero on the feet 2 to 1 but the judges give the round to Romero because he got one takedown and did nothing with it.

How can anyone not be impressed with Whittaker?

I love how he was sitting with Bisping, and Bisping tries to talk shit and Whittaker tells him he has always been a huge fan... Bisping laughs and basically says "fuck it", he can't talk shit to this guy.

Really funny moment.

That was a great interview.

Whitaker was so cool about Bisping's trash talking knowing that its just Bisping trying to get some heat and knows Bisping doesn't really mean anything mean he said.

Then extra cool of Bisping to realize Whitaker wasn't falling for it so he conceded and said he can't talk shit to Whitaker lol.

I honestly think Whittaker may be the best fighter on the planet. How he stuffed and beat Romero on one leg is astounding to me. He is the most talented and well-rounded fighter on the roster next to Jon Jones, but IMO more exciting. You practically can not take him down, and if you do, you can't hold him there; he will box you up, kick you, defend your shots, land his own; has big power; a great chin; cardio; and even his BJJ is underrated, he had no issue jumping in Jacare's guard to finish him (to be fair Jacare was done from the head kick).

That fight was fucking awesome, I was nervous as all hell for Rob throughout the whole fight. I'm just happy that we finally have an Aussie in the mix. Rob represents the best of Aussie sportsmanship. I will forever be a fan.

That fight was awesome and you're right it's so underrated. Some of the highest level MMA we've seen in the octagon. Bobby Knuckles is an absolute beast. Take in that Whittaker has no wrestling background and won the Austrailian national wrestling championship for his weight class. The dude is a GSP level wrestling prodigy but uses it defensively instead of offensively

And yes he is currently the best striker at MW. I wasn't sure when he was getting reckless against Brunson and after Wonderboy knocked him around but the man has finally figured it all out. The way he just casually took Jacare apart was incredible

That being said. This rematch is the fight to make at MW. A rematch of an awesome fight and it was close enough that you can't just easily say "Well Bobby is just going to win again like he did last time".

Knuckes vs Gay Jesus, Still my boy vs the alligator for the next shot

I agree.

It was just a one point fight for Whitaker but I feel Romero will make the necessary adjustments to take the W in the rematch.

Whittaker is one of the best fighters in the world right now. He defended countless takedowns from Romero while on a fucked up knee that required surgery post fight. Whittaker ended up looking like the better grappler of the two. I mean, who even threatens Romero enough to make him force his grappling? He's always been content to strike and look to land one of those blitzes but against Whittaker he was shooting all night, and unsuccessfully.

I can't wait for the rematch and I hope both guys are healthy going into the fight.

That fight was awesome and you're right it's so underrated. Some of the highest level MMA we've seen in the octagon. Bobby Knuckles is an absolute beast. Take in that Whittaker has no wrestling background and won the Austrailian national wrestling championship for his weight class. The dude is a GSP level wrestling prodigy but uses it defensively instead of offensively

And yes he is currently the best striker at MW. I wasn't sure when he was getting reckless against Brunson and after Wonderboy knocked him around but the man has finally figured it all out. The way he just casually took Jacare apart was incredible

That being said. This rematch is the fight to make at MW. A rematch of an awesome fight and it was close enough that you can't just easily say "Well Bobby is just going to win again like he did last time".

Knuckes vs Gay Jesus, Still my boy vs the alligator for the next shot
I'm surprised how underrated it is. It was the only fight where everyone in the bar I was in either didn't care about the fight or were rooting for Romero going into it... only to end up cheering for Whittaker by the end.

I honestly think Whittaker may be the best fighter on the planet. How he stuffed and beat Romero on one leg is astounding to me. He is the most talented and well-rounded fighter on the roster next to Jon Jones, but IMO more exciting. You practically can not take him down, and if you do, you can't hold him there; he will box you up, kick you, defend your shots, land his own; has big power; a great chin; cardio; and even his BJJ is underrated, he had no issue jumping in Jacare's guard to finish him (to be fair Jacare was done from the head kick).

He's great, but everyone has bad matchups.

Whittaker's worst matchup would be a dynamic kickboxer with solid boxing and TDD. There aren't any of those in the top of the MW division though so Whittaker is safe for now.

I know everyone hates "manlets" but MM is easily the most well rounded fighter on the roster.

Back