How long do thai fighters train on a day?

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Does somebody know how long thai fighters like Sittichai, Superbon, Buakaw train on a day?

2 times running, 2 training sessions a day. 6 days a week.

I am interested in this subject.

Is it better to put more time into cardio during training camp so you drill while tired or is it better to focus on technique since you've already established a cardio base?

I'm new to martial arts, sorry for my ignorance.

Edit: grammar and clarity

Is it better to put more time into cardio during training camp so you drill while tired or is it better to focus on technique since you've already established a cardio base?
Depends on the person. If you're new to muaythai technique is more important. An experienced fighter doesn't have to concentrate on technique as much. Its more about sharpening up and getting into fighting shape.

Speaking of Buakaw's training, I have heard Buakaw had some crazy training habits like training at 2am to adjust his body clock for when he fights abroad in different timezones. Not sure if other Thais do stuff like that? Can't imagine it'd be pleasant for those around the camp trying to get sleep with pads being smashed that late in the night.

I'm not Thai, but I'll do periods of training camps with the Thai and Foreign fighters from 2 Weeks (being my shortest) to 3-5 months at my longest.

Camps will vary (Tiger Muay Thai being the slackest lmao), but with the running and skipping before the 2 hr class (2x a day Mon-Sat) you'll easily put out over 4-5 hrs minimal, especially if you're training for a fight

Last edited:
train 2 x day for about 2-3 hours each session 6 days a week. I was on this schedule for my last few fights. recently had to pull out and take a break due to many things but plan to get back on it soon.

check out kaewsamrits training routine, which seems to be the "standard" for most thai gyms. Good luck finding training like this in the states, where instead of fight training you get chucked into a "class".

http://www.kaewsamritgym.com/training/

I remember reading Buakaw used to train 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, on 2 meals a day. Don't know if that was the norm for Thai gyms, but it sounded awfully extreme. He likely doesn't train that hard nowadays.

Some fighters barely train for their fights

Have you trained there before? I keep getting asked to come down but been putting it off

no never trained there but definitely would if I had the opportunity.

I was following their training routine myself though.

Last edited:
Some fighters barely train for their fights

that true too.

if you regularly train and are living the "muay thai lifestyle" theres no need for a 8 week camp to prepare because your already in shape etc. just need to push hard for about 2 weeks and you should be good. if im coming back to fighting after a long break, I want some time to get back into shape, but if I am already actively fighting, 3 weeks seems to be a good camp without burning yourself out. IMO.

Back