If you wanted to rig your enemies election...

Hah!
Truly a gift that keeps on giving.
There are not enough facepalms in all the world.

Using @Starman's logic,

72.5 million people didn't vote for Donald Trump.

That is 53% of Americans. A clear majority of the eligible voters did not support Donald Trump.

I never specified that a majority supported Clinton only that we should probably care what the majority thinks.

ensure that the worst possible candidate in Presidential history is one of the participants

@Starman slapping fools down. Then slapping down the reinforcements.

I loled at reinforcements.

i0ZrZGe.gif

Whose duty? In the United States the majority does not automatically win, by design. The United States is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. Democracy allows the majority to tyrannize the minority. In a democracy, minorities lose every time, without fail. This is why the U.S. is not, and was never designed to be, a democracy.

It is your duty as a citizen to familiarize yourself with, and understand, the legal systems that govern this country.
Again with this not understanding democracy thing? A constitutional republic is a democracy. It's reasonable to ask whether the electoral college is not democratic enough under the democratic system of constitutional republicanism when it produces election results that stray too far from popular opinion.

Only people who don't like the end result feels like the elections has been rigged....
tenor.gif

You can. I just questioned your logic of a "rigger" wanting a candidate to win the popular vote but lose the election when the popular vote doesn't decide the presidency.

What impact do your imaginary riggers in your imaginary world think this would have?

You would want as many people as possible to be disappointed with the current leader and it would reduce their support.

Only people who don't like the end result feels like the elections has been rigged....
tenor.gif

No less true is that when supported the winner they refuse to believe it could have been rigged.

But that's not what this thread was about. Maybe I can't ask the question I asked in the current climate as both sides are a bit too emotional but I am still interested in people's answers to my question.

Using @Starman's logic,

72.5 million people didn't vote for Donald Trump.

That is 53% of Americans. A clear majority of the eligible voters did not support Donald Trump.

Exactly right. But Donald Trump did win a majority of the states and a majority of the electorate. Hillary Clinton didn't win a majority of anything. Do you understand now?

I never specified that a majority supported Clinton only that we should probably care what the majority thinks.

The majority of voters thought 4 other candidates were better than Hillary Clinton.

A majority of the states and a majority of the electorate thought Donald Trump was the best of the 5 candidates. Because Trump won those majorities, he won the presidency.

None of the other 4 candidates won a majority of anything.

Now do you understand?

Exactly right. But Donald Trump did win a majority of the states and a majority of the electorate. Hillary Clinton didn't win a majority of anything. Do you understand now?

The majority of voters thought 4 other candidates were better than Hillary Clinton.

A majority of the states and a majority of the electorate thought Donald Trump was the best of the 5 candidates. Because Trump won those majorities, he won the presidency.

None of the other 4 candidates won a majority of anything.

Now do you understand?

I understand completely. You were just wrong and assumed my argument.

I never said a majority supported Clinton only that a majority didn't support Trump.

Again with this not understanding democracy thing? A constitutional republic is a democracy.

It isn't a democracy in the sense that most people here or indeed most people throughout the western world think of democracy (majority rules). It isn't the original Greek style of direct democracy where people voted on initiatives and whatever the majority decided on that was what they did. It is not a democracy in the sense that whichever candidate gets the most (or majority of) votes becomes the president.

This is the very issue people don't understand, and why they get angry and sarcastically say "is this how a democracy is supposed to work" when their candidate loses. Because they simply don't understand the difference between democracies and republics. There is a difference.

It's reasonable to ask whether the electoral college is not democratic enough under the democratic system of constitutional republicanism when it produces election results that stray too far from popular opinion.

The United States was not designed to be a democracy. It was never designed to hand power over to an angry mob. The popular vote has zero to do with an election, as it should be.

In a true democracy (majority rules), minorities have no voice. Ever. It is a mathematical impossibility. The electoral college was designed to prevent the majority from tyrannizing the minority.

For example, this is every state in the Union that has a SMALLER population than that of a COUNTY (L.A. County):

b0774651676bd0b21f003e1503cd77da.jpg

In a true democracy, California and New York would determine every election, and no one from any other state would ever matter again. Is that fair?

This is why our founding fathers designed the electoral college:

margin.png

So that one or two states (consisting of a big, large, angry mob) couldn't dictate the fate of the entire nation.

I understand completely. You were just wrong and assumed my argument.

I never said a majority supported Clinton.

Do you need a refresher on what you actually said, instead of what you now wish you had said?

The popular vote is a joke, and has zero to do with how presidents are elected in the United States.

I know like, who cares what a majority of people in a democracy think?

Donald Trump received 62,985,134 votes. Hillary Clinton received 65,853,652 votes. The other 3 candidates won 8,286,698 votes.

65,853,652 people voted for Hillary Clinton. 71,271,832 people voted for anyone but Mrs. Clinton. The majority of the country did not vote for Mrs. Clinton. She did not win a majority of the vote.

That's not how majorities work dude.

Yes, it is how majorities work. Anything else?

No less true is that when supported the winner they refuse to believe it could have been rigged.

Refuse to believe what? Your imaginary crimes of rigging? Or do you think this really happened? If you think an election was rigged, say it, and then prove it. If not, there is nothing for anyone here to believe or disbelieve. It is a hypothetical question.

Regardless you would want more people to have voted against the winner.

If you take away California Hillary would have not won the popular vote. She also won New York. I know we're going to disagree on this, but one or two states shouldn't have a voice over the entire country. This is the purpose of the electoral college.

But she won the majority of California and NYC and that should be enough because theirs is the only opinion that should or even could matter.

Do you need a refresher on what you actually said, instead of what you now wish you had said?

Again, I never said Clinton earned a majority only implied that a majority did not vote for Trump.

I know how they work dude. You were arguing a against a position I never took in this thread.

You were wrong I am right.

A majority of Americas did not support Trump, 53%.

It isn't a democracy in the sense that most people here or indeed most people throughout the western world think of democracy (majority rules). It isn't the original Greek style of direct democracy where people voted on initiatives and whatever the majority decided on that was what they did. It is not a democracy in the sense that whichever candidate gets the most (or majority of) votes becomes the president.

This is the very issue people don't understand, and why they get angry and sarcastically say "is this how a democracy is supposed to work" when their candidate loses. Because they simply don't understand the difference between democracies and republics. There is a difference.

The United States was not designed to be a democracy. It was never designed to hand power over to an angry mob. The popular vote has zero to do with an election, as it should be.

In a true democracy (majority rules), minorities have no voice. Ever. It is a mathematical impossibility. The electoral college was designed to prevent the majority from tyrannizing the minority.

For example, this is every state in the Union that has a SMALLER population than that of a COUNTY (L.A. County):

b0774651676bd0b21f003e1503cd77da.jpg

In a true democracy, California and New York would determine every election, and no one from any other state would ever matter again. Is that fair?

This is why our founding fathers designed the electoral college:

margin.png

So that one or two states (consisting of a big, large, angry mob) couldn't dictate the fate of the entire nation.

The blue counties produce 66% of the country's wealth though.

Again, I never said Clinton earned a majority only implied that a majority did not vote for Trump.

I know how they work dude. You were arguing a against a position I never took in this thread.

The popular vote is a joke, and has zero to do with how presidents are elected in the United States.

I know like, who cares what a majority of people in a democracy think?

Donald Trump received 62,985,134 votes. Hillary Clinton received 65,853,652 votes. The other 3 candidates won 8,286,698 votes.

65,853,652 people voted for Hillary Clinton. 71,271,832 people voted for anyone but Mrs. Clinton. The majority of the country did not vote for Mrs. Clinton. She did not win a majority of the vote.

That's not how majorities work dude.

The blue counties produce 66% of the country's wealth though.

Because L.A. County has a larger population than the overwhelming number of states in the Union. Of course they would produce more of the country's wealth.

Not only do you think minorities shouldn't have a voice when it comes to elections, but now you imply that only the wealthy's voices should be heard?

Back