Rewatched Whittaker/Romero

Whiitaker is a fucking beast. Hope he stays MW champ for a long time.

That fight shows how good Whittaker is. Yoel has KO'd everyone, and Whittaker shut him down.

Whittaker 2nd Round KO/TKO in the rematch

"Styles may make fights" but there are such things as Cain vs JDS, where the most likely outcome for a second and third fight does not happen in the first. Thompson may have Knuckles number, but you best believe Vegas would favor Knuckles if they fought today. Bobby and Max are the most improved UFC fighters over the past 3-4 years and there is no way around that.

Agreed, but Bobby would be favored because he has improved and Thompson is now pushing 40, not because their first fight was a flukey outcome ala Cain/JDS 1

how the fuck do you not get taken down by yoel? tossed jacare around like a child w/o getting sub'd and has superb cardio and striking. never witnessed a fighter so skilled in all areas. future champ and legend.

All this while whittaker had a blown out knee. I was there live and that fight was f8cking great.

Didn't Bobby have a leg injury in the 1st or 2nd Rd, making his performance all the more impressive, IMO.

Incorrect. Lots of fights to make, especially if Whittaker wants to take more time off.

Romero/Gastelum, Romero/Jacare II, Gastelum/Jacare, Weidman/Jacare, Gastelum/Weidman II.

Personally I'd love to see Gastelum/Romero in a title eliminator. Don't care that Gastelum lost to Weidman. Anything to get to Gastelum/Whittaker, which is one of my most anticipated fights in the sport going forward.
Gastelum vs Romero is a terrible idea.. Gastelum is extremely talented and a fight vs Whittaker would be great on paper but he’s not ready to fight an elite champ

Romero wins you have Gastelum losing 2 in a row and pretty far from a title shot, Gastelum wins Romero’s chances at a title shot are most likely over

Romero Whittaker II makes the most sense, both are super high level guys that have completely crushed the division and the first fight was a great fight

I remembered that fight being a snoozefest. Yet here is TS pulling out these gems.
It won FOTN and there is like 10 users in this thread agreeing with TS that it was a great fight.

Logical alone tells me it probably wasn't a snoozefest........

- Easily 2-2 going into the 5th
- Biggest moment in the fight was when Romero fell in the 5th. Looked like he overextended himself during a strike and slipped.
- That said, Whittaker's top control was amazing in the 5th. Gassed or not, Romero cannot be easy to control on the ground. Whittaker deserved to win R5 and the fight.
- Whittaker landed some decent GnP in the 5th for a bit. Has anyone ever landed GnP on Romero lol?
- Whittaker is definitely the better striker. He was crisp, fast and had power. Romero went for takedowns for a reason.
- Whittaker is FAST. Romero looked almost normal speed for once. His speed was a key factor is making Romero look human for once.

tumblr_osttmcLXq01u6fe5yo1_500.gif

- Goddamn Whittaker has good TDD and a great ability to get back up, especially toward the end.

GrandUnnaturalKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

- I don't see Romero doing what he did to Rockhold to Whittaker. Kickboxing with Whittaker without any TD threat might get Romero TKOed eventually.
- Whittaker was gassed toward the end too. Romero actually has decent cardio and knows how to pace himself. Whittaker gave him little time to rest, though.

Easily the most underrated fight of 2017 IMO. Loved the fight and can't wait for these two to fight again.

robert-whittaker-ufc-213.jpg

152_Yoel_Romero_and_Robert_Whittaker.1499473588.jpg
I like how he doesn’t seem to be the most technical striker, but somehow he makes all his skills combine into this great style. The way he can box while moving forward and backwards very fastly is just great combined with how he can defend takedowns or just jumps up right away after being taken down.

Bobby is a class act. Lucky he doesnt have to fight gsp just yet.

More impressive in that fight was the fact that Romero couldn't get any meaningful offense off, because he knew how dangerous Whittaker was the whole time. Definitely a close fight, but who knows what Whittaker might've been able to do with two working legs.

Too bad he wasn’t on a different level than everybody at welterweight...
Was what, 5 years ago? If you don't think he could compete with those guys now you're just a blatant hater.

You gotta fight the best when ur champ, but I can’t help but feel bad for Whittaker. Just dispatched this beast and now has to slay him again next fight.

yeah i remember watching at the time and saying whoever wins the 5th is gonna get it.

wouldn't call it an underrated fight though, it was actually kinda dull. it was just less dull because it was a " big " fight.

Whittaker is the shit.
A videogame nerd and a family man.

Soldier of Gay Jesus comes across as a hardcore religious nutcase, a bully, and a bigot.

While Yoel certainty doesn't deserve a rematch (missed weight) I hope Bobby knocks his head clean off.

07cbcc9c6c47c22c30fc79f3fe713572

That girls hair must be what Robert's is like uncut. haha.

Yoel needs thousands of hours on a treamill and a time machine to bring him back 5 years in age to defeat Robert unfortunately. He pummles everybody else in the division though. Hell, he already has cleaned out the division including many former champs. But Robert is younger and his style has Romero's number. Not much else to say. Any time this fight goes the distance Whitaker will win.

Yoel will have to finish him.

Back