Was GSP scared of Woodley? Cherry Picking Bisping?

He was scared of Woodley, and Whittaker, and Romero, and Jacare, and Weidman, and Rockhold, and pretty much every middleweight not named Bisping. There's a reason he started talking about coming out of retirement after Bisping won the title. There's also a reason he vacated immediately after he took it from Bisping.

MMA continues to produce the least intelligent fans in the world.

The idea that GSP was afraid of any of those people is ludicrous.

I really don't care what Danaher says. GSP was in a bunch of interviews saying he wanted to fight Bisping. Show me one interview where GSP talked about fighting Woodley.

Woodley isn't much of a money fight and after those two Thompson fights and the Maia fight nobody would pay to see Woodley do much of anything.

GSP went for the Cash. Bisping can talk up a much more interesting fight than Woodley ever could

If he ever fights any of them, I'll take my words back and change my opinion.

I mean as long as your comfortable having a wildly misinformed opinion.

I can see Bobby Knuckles being a really hard fight for GSP but always leaves his hands down Rockhold, not amazing stand up Jacare, legit no threat after rd 1 Woodley (I mean did you see how easily Rory pieced him up?) Yoel could be a tough fight.

There's two tough fights presented here for GSP but neither would be enough to actually scare him off. That's a foolish thought

For those who are quick to claim GSP is scared or Tyron, Cherry Picked Bisping and faking his medical issues to "Duck" MW I suggest giving this a watch/listen. John Danaher on JRE.

Didn’t watch but yes. Gsp cherry picked the weakest champ the ufc has ever seen and never intended on defending that belt should he win. He wants nothing to do with Tyron or any of the top guys at 185 and if this colitis thing is true, I’m sure he was aware of the situation before the bisping fight.

Also gsp tapped to strikes so it makes me more certain that his mental fortitude is that of a guy who would do exactly what he’s being accused of. He quit once before after that beating Hendricks put on him and he didn’t want to give him a rematch.

For those who are quick to claim GSP is scared or Tyron, Cherry Picked Bisping and faking his medical issues to "Duck" MW I suggest giving this a watch/listen. John Danaher on JRE.

If you watched this and really pay attention you will see that George started training for 185 when Rockhold was champ.

A mother fucker training to fight the Rockhold of Old, isn’t scared of Tyron boredly

He came back to make millions and win the MW title. Why is this such an unsolved mystery to some people?

Because most people on Sherdog are billionaires, making a few extra million is pocket change for them and so not even worth considering.

Its interesting that Woodley wanted to fight GSP (who hadn't been in the cage for four years) rather than the number one WW contender - presumably the same Sherdog posters think that meant Woodley was scared of the number one WW contender, and not that Woodley, like everyone else, wanted the biggest payday possible (GSP in his case).

Didn’t watch but yes. Gsp cherry picked the weakest champ the ufc has ever seen and never intended on defending that belt should he win. He wants nothing to do with Tyron or any of the top guys at 185 and if this colitis thing is true, I’m sure he was aware of the situation before the bisping fight.

Also gsp tapped to strikes so it makes me more certain that his mental fortitude is that of a guy who would do exactly what he’s being accused of. He quit once before after that beating Hendricks put on him and he didn’t want to give him a rematch.

Worse than tapping to strikes, he tapped to an armbar. Ask any doctor, the consequences for not tapping to strikes is far worse than the consequences for not tapping to an armbar. Don't tap to an armbar you're out of action for six months, but no lifelong repercussions. Don't tap to strikes and you have CTE which follows you every day for the rest of your life.

Tapping to an armbar shows weaker mental fortitude than tapping to strikes - again, this is basic medical knowledge.

I don't think he is scared of Woodley. At this stage in his career if he does come back he would just be looking for the fights that make the most financial sense, whilst also keeping his long term health in mind.

I'm a fan of both GSP and Woodley btw.

He was scared of Woodley, and Whittaker, and Romero, and Jacare, and Weidman, and Rockhold, and pretty much every middleweight not named Bisping. There's a reason he started talking about coming out of retirement after Bisping won the title. There's also a reason he vacated immediately after he took it from Bisping.

Or he's an opportunist who, after years of fighting every challenger in his division, saw a chance to come out of retirement to make some quick money. Notice that GSP also didn't go down in weight to fight Conor, obviously he's afraid of him too. In fact, a lot of people want to fight GSP ... there are guys in Bellator who want to fight GSP. Since you don't think GSP picks his fights based on money, presumably you think GSP is afraid of everyone who wants to fight him.

Prize fighting is about money. You take your money where you can get it. Which is why Woodley (very understandably) wants to fight Nate - it doesn't mean Woodley is afraid of everyone but Nate, it means Nate is the most money he can make at the moment.

You can't choose who is champion, so this "cherry picking" idea is bloody stupid!

Cherry picking was Anderson Silva picking Sandman. Move up a weight class and fight an irrelevant opponent.

GSP certainly ducked MW after beating a beautifully cherry picked weak Champ, slinked away AGAIN just as many predicted.

Imagine Kevin Gastelum had fought Bisping before GSP and KO'd Bisping and took his belt. Then imagine GSP fought Micheal Bisping next coming off that devastating loss and beat him and everyone acted like GSP had just done something amazing by beating the Ex Champ one fight removed and on his way to retirement.

That is what Anderson did with Forrest and everyone praised Anderson loudly for it and it was one of the biggest parts of his legacy talks when GOAT and other topics were raised as people praised him for stepping up and challenging themselves.

GSP stepped up and did so in a better way than Anderson (instead of fighting Bisping (Forrest) after losing his belt in devastating fashion, he fights Bisping (Forrest) while he is on one of his best win streaks since being in the UFC.

So my point is that unless you are critical of Anderson for the same reasons then you are being hypocritical. But if you are critical of Anderson for the same reasons then carry on.

Nah, Bisping held the MW strap for far too long waiting for the GSP fight, UFC was in on that bullshit too. If not for GSP, Bisping would've defended against a true contender much sooner.
Yup. Had Bisping beat GSP you can bet he would have pushed for a Super Fight with Woodley next and Woodley would have welcomed it. And the MW division would be still held up.

GSP did the MW division a favour as Bisping was going to avoid the top contenders at MW as long as he could and if GSP never came back he would have pushed for that Woodley fight and then who knows what after.

GSP returned that division to sanity.

MW somehow allowed Bisping to win the title and parade it around for far too long. GSP came back and put an end to that.

You all should thank him.
<TrumpWrong1>

'Scared' is not the right word, but he definitely cherry-picked Bisping.
Well you can argue there is cherry picking in most fights outside the Champ and top contender matchup. Particularly when it comes to what are positioned as Super fights or the promotions big money fights.

You can't choose who is champion, so this "cherry picking" idea is bloody stupid!

Cherry picking was Anderson Silva picking Sandman. Move up a weight class and fight an irrelevant opponent.
Yup.

As I said above had Gastelum fought Bisping first and gave him his worst beating and loss and took his belt and then GSP said "i am ready to test myself at MW now' and then beat Bisping and fans started touting that as GSP stepping up and challenging himself at the division above I am sure the same people like @Peteyandjia would be praising GSP now just like they did for Anderson right? Right Petey. You do recognize that what GSP accomplished is miles better than what Anderson gets praised for because to be the same GSP would have fought Bisping after losing his belt to Gastelum.

picked bisping cuz hes a mediocre fighter. if youre gonna go up in weight after being retired for years, u dont wanna fight a legit champ

Again?

I swear, fighters can't even take a break or retire these days without having some fat basement dwelling losers accuse them of running away or ducking.
LMAO, take a break? Motherfucker, he just came off of a FOUR year break, wtf are you talking about? I mean, I know the sight of Gay Ass P gets your jimmy stiff, but don't let that cloud your pitifully short little memory...

Yup. Had Bisping beat GSP you can bet he would have pushed for a Super Fight with Woodley next and Woodley would have welcomed it. And the MW division would be still held up.

GSP did the MW division a favour as Bisping was going to avoid the top contenders at MW as long as he could and if GSP never came back he would have pushed for that Woodley fight and then who knows what after.

GSP returned that division to sanity.

<TrumpWrong1>
GSP did nothing, other than get Bisping a better payday for taking the inevitable ass kicking he was already going to take, regardless of what route he took. UFC allowed it because it was their best oppurtunity to take in some cash on a higher drawing ppv. What GSP did to the MW division, was to further de-legitimize the belt and jump in front of the line of more deserving contenders.

Yah, cuz GSP's COACH is going to be the most objective person here. OF COURSE he was cherry picking, who on earth can not see this? To those that follow the sport, have become acclimated with GSP's ways, it was no surprise. Afterall, he fought Diaz coming off a loss and opted to fight only one new breed fighter (which every non GSP fan knows he lost) and then retired in his prime with out even getting anything close to Conor money.

LMAO, take a break? Motherfucker, he just came off of a FOUR year break, wtf are you talking about? I mean, I know the sight of Gay Ass P gets your jimmy stiff, but don't let that cloud your pitifully short little memory...
The amount of bitterness and hate you have towards GSP is seriously affecting your comprehension skills.

I was refering to him taking a break BEFORE going on a 4 year hiatus. Not after he came back you inbred moron.

First thing I said was "Again ?"

You were accusing him of running AGAIN.

Don't remember him ever running, unless of course you're talking about his short time at MW. In that case, you might have an argument.

Last edited:
Back