The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

They try to limit the number of crew members over the wall because it's a dangerous place with cars coming in and out. The penalty for too many men over the wall used to be to start at the back of the field under caution or a stop and go under green. When they changed the rule to only allow collision repairs on pit road for 5 minutes, they assumed that teams would put extra crew members over the wall to repair it faster and take the penalty so they increased the penalty to disqualification.

The change to 2 laps down will force the teams to put extra people over the wall to keep the car in the race.

Right on! I understand the rule fully. I was just asking for some clarification to his question of what the purpose of the rule is, but it's two fold

What the point of the extra minute is, or the over the wall portion?

I just meant the entire rule itself.

They try to limit the number of crew members over the wall because it's a dangerous place with cars coming in and out. The penalty for too many men over the wall used to be to start at the back of the field under caution or a stop and go under green. When they changed the rule to only allow collision repairs on pit road for 5 minutes, they assumed that teams would put extra crew members over the wall to repair it faster and take the penalty so they increased the penalty to disqualification.

The change to 2 laps down will force the teams to put extra people over the wall to keep the car in the race.

I guess I just never saw it as a real hazard. Nascar loves cautions to bunch up the field. So much so that they changed their entire race format that spanned over 50 years so they could have a reason to implement more cautions. I think it was Kyle Larson that got knocked out of a race last year because of the rule. In years past he could have made a few stops under caution, stayed on the lead lap and stayed competitive in the race. But because of this rule, a top level car had to retire from the race. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me from a fan standpoint.

Nascan is over-regulated and manipulated to the point of it being irrelevant in racing terms.

Hark back to the day when it was glorified moonshiners trying to outrun revenuers in the South.

I just meant the entire rule itself.

I guess I just never saw it as a real hazard. Nascar loves cautions to bunch up the field. So much so that they changed their entire race format that spanned over 50 years so they could have a reason to implement more cautions. I think it was Kyle Larson that got knocked out of a race last year because of the rule. In years past he could have made a few stops under caution, stayed on the lead lap and stayed competitive in the race. But because of this rule, a top level car had to retire from the race. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me from a fan standpoint.

It was Kenseth that was parked because there were too many over the wall.

NASCAR has to have cautions because it is too dangerous to have people out on the track with cars running at speed. Many whiners complained about the number of cautions because of debris. Most of the debris came from vehicles involved in collisions early in the race. Fans also want contenders to stay in the race if possible. NASCAR has to try to balance the safety of the drivers, the safety of the crowd, the safety of the track workers and the desires of the fans. NASCAR has set up rules to keep all cars competitive. In the old days one car could get an advantage by cheating so NASCAR tightened enforcement.

Had myself a little brown pants moment today. Thankfully just a tyre, no damage to the car and didn't make the fence. Will be back out there soon.

They wrecked a bunch of trucks at Daytona last night. Everybody in all classes are very unstable in the draft.

The Xfinity race turned into a demolition derby at the end then guys started running out of fuel as they ran lots of laps to clear the track in overtime. 5 overtimes to end the race. Tyler Reddick holds off Sadler by inches.

turned it off after the fourth overtime.
the risk/reward of trying to bump draft at 190mph without wrecking is dubious

The Daytona 500 is on today.

Danica going to retire after this season.

....well... bye!

Ricky Stenhouse causing more wrecks today.

The Louse wrecks a bunch of cars including himself.

funny to hear Danica and Aaron Rogers are dating.
she'll have plenty of time on her hands after Indy to hang out.

Austin Dillon wins the Daytona 500 after getting a run on Amirola on the last lap. Amirola tried to block and nobody is going to lift on the last lap at Daytrona.

Austin Dillon wins the Daytona 500 after getting a run on Amirola on the last lap. Amirola tried to block and nobody is going to lift on the last lap at Daytrona.

There's so many butthurt people who are saying that it was a dirty move. Dale Jr even told someone not to be so sensitive. lol

Back