On a sugar-free diet, is 1 gram per serving that significant?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a truck driver and have done a pretty good job of watching what I eat.

I'm 6'0 and currently at 208 pounds, and am attempting to go sugar-free. No soda (I've completely kicked that habit), and I'm drinking only bottled water, coffee, and unsweetened almond milk.

But I've noticed something concerning to me. I have a small refrigerator in my truck and my favorite snacks to store are mozzarella string cheese and lunch meat (Angus Beef and Turkey, mostly).

I just looked at the nutritional statistics to see there's 1g of sugar in every cheese stick and in serving of lunch meat I buy.

...WTF...?!?

So, my question to you guys is, when trying to lose more weight (and I've been hovering around 208 for about two months, and am trying to get down to 190 at least), is 1g per serving a big deal? Or should I say fuck it and find other good food/snacks for the road?

1g of sugar is nothing. That said, there's no reason for cheese to have sugar and I would try to find another brand. I forgot what brand I eat but it's 0 sugar, 0 carbs.

1g of sugar is nothing.
Good to hear.
That said, there's no reason for cheese to have sugar and I would try to find another brand. I forgot what brand I eat but it's 0 sugar, 0 carbs.

Yeah, I'll finish up the cheese sticks I've already bought and check out the other brands.

I'm still amazed lunch meat has sugar. Sodium, I knew of, but sugar?!?

*Sigh*

A lot of meat is sugar cured. One thing I find odd is the bacon I have is sugar cured but has no sugar. Wat.

Good to hear.

Yeah, I'll finish up the cheese sticks I've already bought and check out the other brands.

I'm still amazed lunch meat has sugar. Sodium, I knew of, but sugar?!?

*Sigh*

Try to ditch the lunch meat if you can. I know it ain't easy though. I get those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, then shred the meat and put in the fridge for lunch. If you can stick to 4-6 oz of chicken for lunch, one of those chickens should last 3 or 4 days.

Also, do you like cottage cheese? I also eat that with lunch. Maybe you can substitute it the string cheese.

That said, some weeks I get deli turkey for my lunches. Love turkey.

Im having kind of the same problem, and i decided to basically ignore the few grams of sugar intake. I dont think it will interfere too much with the plan :) If you want to loose some weight, you might want to try green tea extract (I use this one: https://liftmode.com/health-promoting/green-tea.html). It helps a little, but surely will not to the hard work for you. You will have to do some sports and eat healthy.

Last edited:
Try to ditch the lunch meat if you can. I know it ain't easy though. I get those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, then shred the meat and put in the fridge for lunch. If you can stick to 4-6 oz of chicken for lunch, one of those chickens should last 3 or 4 days.

I've tried the rotisserie chicken thing - too much work.

Also, do you like cottage cheese?

No.

Is there any sugar-free yogurt on the market?

That said, some weeks I get deli turkey for my lunches. Love turkey.

I'll try to check out picking up turkey from behind the counter at a Walmart.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Im having kind of the same problem, and i decided to basically ignore the few grams of sugar intake. I dont think

Yeah, after kicking the soda habit, I don't think 1g here or there will matter overall.

When you look up the amount of sugar in Mountain Dew (3.8 grams per ounce) and think some people (like me) have been drinking 2 Liter bottles of it for a very long time, replacing it with water and small snacks with 1 or 2 grams is a VAST improvement.

Hell, I'm not even drinking Chocolate Almond Milk anymore because of its 15 grams of sugar per serving! And I FUCKING LOVE CHOCOLATE MILK!

How long have you been sugar free?

I’m about 2 weeks in and hate/love it.

A few grams will not affect you.

It's all about calories, homie.

A few grams will not affect you.

It's all about calories, homie.

Incorrect.

I've gained pounds back by drinking Powerade Zero. It has no callories or sugar. But what it does have is the sugar substitute known as sucralose, and its just as bad.

That's the sugar replacement in diet pops, which makes it as bad if not worse than regular soda.

How long have you been sugar free?

I’m about 2 weeks in and hate/love it.

I've been mostly sugar free for months, but just made the decision to cut it out of my diet a week ago.

Good results so far.

In October, I was 218 pounds, and yesterday I weighed in at 203 pounds.

I'm 6'0, with a muscular build.

I've tried the rotisserie chicken thing - too much work.

No.

Is there any sugar-free yogurt on the market?

I'll try to check out picking up turkey from behind the counter at a Walmart.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, after kicking the soda habit, I don't think 1g here or there will matter overall.

When you look up the amount of sugar in Mountain Dew (3.8 grams per ounce) and think some people (like me) have been drinking 2 Liter bottles of it for a very long time, replacing it with water and small snacks with 1 or 2 grams is a VAST improvement.

Hell, I'm not even drinking Chocolate Almond Milk anymore because of its 15 grams of sugar per serving! And I FUCKING LOVE CHOCOLATE MILK!

Greek yogurt like :eek::eek::eek:e or Chobani doesn’t have much sugar. Supposed to be good for weight too.

Incorrect.

I've gained pounds back by drinking Powerade Zero. It has no callories or sugar. But what it does have is the sugar substitute known as sucralose, and its just as bad.

That's the sugar replacement in diet pops, which makes it as bad if not worse than regular soda.
Yes it causes your insulin levels to elevate I think.

I don't remember endorsing fake sugar though.

But as mentioned a few carbs from sugar won't negatively impact a weight loss plan.

Btw love your name, big MGS fan here

Greek yogurt like :eek::eek::eek:e or Chobani doesn’t have much sugar. Supposed to be good for weight too.

I bought 32oz of Oikos, triple zero...

f429d622-d5c9-4e31-861e-f75965bb3553_1.320df14343cb8aee1fea0cf82e785aa6.jpeg

And its quite tasty!

4 servings in the 32oz container.
8g of sugar, total, not added, per serving.
170 calories per serving.

Not quite sure I believe the '22g of protein,' because that's a shitton of protein for yogurt. I'd like to see the details of that.

On the days I meet a weight loss goal, I can imagine this being a worthy indulgence.

I bought 32oz of Oikos, triple zero...

f429d622-d5c9-4e31-861e-f75965bb3553_1.320df14343cb8aee1fea0cf82e785aa6.jpeg

And its quite tasty!

4 servings in the 32oz container.
8g of sugar, total, not added, per serving.
170 calories per serving.

Not quite sure I believe the '22g of protein,' because that's a shitton of protein for yogurt. I'd like to see the details of that.

On the days I meet a weight loss goal, I can imagine this being a worthy indulgence.

Greek yogurt is known to have plenty of protein. I've eaten it daily for months and I'm down 31 lbs.

I'm down eight pounds from 234 to 226 in less than three weeks by cutting carbs and sugar almost completely. Feel great too albeit still kinda sleepy, it's getting better though.

I didn't seem like I had much to lose at all, kinda built like Chuck or Stipe (I'm a touch under 6'2") but I was starting to get the kind of gut that Chuck had, where I can still see abs but it had a definite outward projection. That's supposedly internal fat which is terrible, and I am as big a sugar junkie as ever existed so that's probably where it came from.

The sugar cravings are horrendous at the moment. I'm killing celery and cream cheese for a snack when I would have slammed an entire sleeve of Oreos and milk , or a big ass chocolate shake in the past, I hope it gets better.

I had the wife make orange sugar free jello with some half-n-half and freeze it in pops so it makes something similar to orange sherbert, but that's only partially quelling the urge.

Also she took some heavy whipping cream and puréed it with a little stevia to make something similar to cool whip that we could put on blueberries or strawberries, that's not too bad either.

I've been mostly sugar free for months, but just made the decision to cut it out of my diet a week ago.

Good results so far.

In October, I was 218 pounds, and yesterday I weighed in at 203 pounds.

I'm 6'0, with a muscular build.

1g of sugar is nothing. That said, there's no reason for cheese to have sugar and I would try to find another brand. I forgot what brand I eat but it's 0 sugar, 0 carbs.

My guess would be the sugar is left from the fermintation process in the cheese.

Just a guess though, I’m no cheese expert.

Back