Encompassing Athleticism and Fighting

Rest day today but I did some really fun stuff yesterday. Kinda hard to write because the exercises don't really have common names, but I'll be adding them in my workout for sure. I'm still figuring out how I want to mold it, but I'm getting somewhere. Also did my warmup a little bit different which I'll also change.

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup with gradual builup incl. walking and regular A skips.
- A few activation exercises of the glutes, serratus and anatomy slings.
- Weight shifting and hip turning

Workout (mostly rotational power and stability exercises):
- One legged pressups
- Sidelunge to one legged pressups
- Lunge, 45 degree and sidelunge with rotiation (broom)
- Landmine rotations
- Practicing rotation sequencing with hip fireing first, then shoulders turning over

Power/explosiveness:
- CMJ 3 sets of 6 reps
- Max effort lead and rear hook (both stances) on the bag for 8 reps
- Lateral jumping, sticking landing

Turkish getups:
- 5x5kg plate
- 5x5kg plate
- 5x12,5kg dumbbell

Cooldown/stretching

I was at a commercial gym yesterday helping my mom out with making a workout plan for her and going through the issues. She's having a lot of trouble with her neck and always have pain in her back and knees, so it's a challenge. Did some manual therapy on her as well with took the edge off. Anyway, it was pretty cool nonetheless. I wanna see her get back into it. I also did a few kms on the treadmill running and I was very surprised at how easy it was. I was barely out of breath. LISS training must be starting to pay off.

Today I went with a friend who has shoulder problems, especially overhead. I have a suspicion that it's the tendon of the long head of the biceps head clicking under there, but it could be a few different structures. I'm moving more away from being too structure specific as there is really no point, his main problem is with the arthrokinematics which is what I tried guiding. Helped him out with a few exercises (doing them correctly), going through the mechanics, explaining about increased sensitivity, pain mechanisms and lowering some of that pesky fear-avoidence. Also did some Mulligan on him which was surprisingly effective. Pretty interesting.

ANYWAY, I managed to get a little of my own training in. My lower back is killing me right now, but it'll pass soon enough. On the flip side neck is feeling great! I need to adjust to the rotational work I've added, and I shouldn't have done the program today, but I did it anyway because I wanted to!

Warmup:
- A skips walking and regular
- Dynamic warmup
- A few banded pulls

Trapbar DL:
- Relevant Facilitating Exercise (RFE)
- bar
- 8x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 3x100kg
- 3x100kg
- 3x120kg
- 3x120kg
- 3x120kg

Some neuro eye and ankle stuff between sets

Benchpress
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 3x80kg
- 3x85kg
- 3x85kg

Power Circuit:
RFE
- CMJ x5
- Maximal power hooks on bag x5 each side from both stances
- Maximal power body kicks on bag x5 each side from both stances
x2

A little bit of bagwork showing off at the end.

LISS running/walking for about 40 min

Doing running drills, agility/footwork drills and shadowboxing outside for about 30-40 mins

Only had a short time to train today before school so didn't get everything in.

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup
- A few banded pulls

Squat:
RFE
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x80kg

Circuit:
RFE
- Sidelunge to single leg press 5 reps each side with 20kg kettlebell
- Row with 25kg dumbbell 6 reps
- Lateral raises 7kg for 8 reps
- Hip huggers 15kg for 8 paused reps
x3

Slight stretch

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup
- A few banded pulls
- Shadowboxing

Trapbar DL:
- RFE
- bar
- 8x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x90kg

Benchpress
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x70kg
- 8x70kg

Circuit:
RFE
- Forward, 45 and sidelunge 5 reps each side (knee, ankle and hip tracking)
- Turkish Getups 5 reps each side with 10kg
- Single leg push press 10 reps each side with 10kg
- Pullups 6 reps
- Pallof press isometric with band for 15-20 seconds each side
x2-3

Pump:
Lateral raises, hip huggers, unilateral rows, reverse flys
x2-3

Stretching/cooldown

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup
- A few banded pulls

Squat:
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x90kg

Circuit:
RFE
- Sidelunge to single leg press 6 reps each side with 20kg kettlebell
- Reverse flys 10 reps with 8kg
- Hamstring curls on bosu ball 12-15 reps
- Frontplank to sideplank and bridging
- Trap 3 work with band
x3

Cooldown/stretching

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup
- A few banded pulls

Trapbar DL:
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg

Benchpress
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x70kg
- 8x70kg

Light neck isos between sets

Was with a friend today so did some circuits together.

Circuit:
RFE
- Reverse lunges 20 reps
- Crunches with bosu ball 20 reps
- Single leg push press 8 reps each side with 15kg
- Goblet squats 15 reps with 30kg
- Pullups 6 reps
x2
- Reverse lunges 40 reps
- Crunches with bosu ball 40 reps
- Single leg push press 10 reps each side with 15kg
- Goblet squats 20 reps with 30 kg
x1

Misc:
Frontplank into sideplank into half bridge into lunges into lateral squats, and so on. Just messing about. I'm really starting to feel stronger and stable in more positions. It feels fucking great, never felt like this before. Just feels different working in more planes of motion. The dynamic warmups and agility/shuffling I do with that in the beginning is also helping my footwork.

Tried a Turkish Getup with 25kg which was challenging as hell, but I did it. Borderline unsafe though, but I'll slowly work up to it. No rush.

Pump:
Lateral raises, hip huggers, reverse flys, band work
x2-3

Stretching/cooldown

Last edited:
LISS running/walking for about 30-40 mins

Warmup:
- Footwork
- Dynamic stretching
- A few banded pulls
- Shadowboxing

Squat:
RFE
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg

Bench:
RFE
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x80kg

Circuit:
RFE
- Forward, 45 and sidelunge 5 reps each side
- Sidelunge to single leg press 6 reps each side with 20kg kettlebell
- Leg curls on bosuball 12 reps
- Plank to sideplank to sidebridge each side
x3

- Turkish Getups 5 reps each side with 10kg
x3

Damn the getups were hard today.

Misc:
Handstand holds against wall for 10-20 seconds + freestand as long as possible
x3
Bands, serratus work, trap 3 work, mobility, bridging

Cooldown/Stretching

Phew, long session today and weights are getting heavier. I'm loving the bridging stuff though, feels really good for my shoulders.

LISS running/walking for about 30-40 min

Warmup:
- Dynamic warmup
- A few rounds of bagwork/shadowboxing

Trapbar DL:
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x120kg
- 5x120kg
- 3x140kg
- 1x160kg

I wasn't supposed to go that heavy, but it felt fine. 160kg was way easy, looking forward to what the max says in two weeks. I'm guessing around 190kg trapbar is about right, but we'll see. I haven't tried to max out on a trapbar before so it's all new.

Benchpress
- RFE
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x80kg

Pump:
Lateral raises, hip huggers, seated dumbbell OHP, reverse flys, external rotation with dumbbells
x2-3

Cooldown/stretching

Overall a tired workout. I still felt the squats a little bit from last session, but I'm feeling it less now. Got a friend to record a few bagwork rounds as well:

Last edited:
May I get your friend for some recording too :)?
Hooks look killer, man. You have always looked good on the bag and when shadow boxing, but there is some real improvements going on lately. I have noted you about that in the previous shadow boxing video too.

What is RFE btw?

May I also ask you about rest times and how long per average is your work out time?
I ve kind of noticed I spend about 2 hours per work out starting from entering the gym, eating my protein bar, changing for sports, warm ups, actual work out, warm downs, showering, changing, and drinking a protein bar. And that is quite a lot of time I do not have the luxury to use anymore.

Long ass session today. Felt like I needed to release some pent up energy.

Warmup:
- A little dynamic stretching
- BW squats

Place was packed with people today so I didn't have space to do my proper warmup drills. Got thrown off a little bit and had to rush to a squat rack as well.

Squats:
- Bar
- 10x70kg
- 5x100kg
- 3x110kg
- 3x120kg
- 3x120kg
- 3x130kg

Last set was iffy. Weight coming forward and not deep enough. My hips didn't feel good and stance was a little off. Goes to show how important the warmup is for me, I didn't do my RFE either and I had to go up in weight fast as most plates were taken. Anyway, with a little adjustment it's not bad!

Bench:
- Bar
- 10x50kg
- 5x70kg
- 5x80kg
- 3x90kg
- 3x90kg
- 3x90kg

Explosive Circuit:
RFE
- Split stance CMJ both sides 5 reps
- Landmine punch rear hand both sides 5 reps
- Max effort hooks lead and rear side 5 reps, only orthodox
- Flying knees on bag 3 reps each side
x3

Bagwork for about 20-30 min
Shadowboxing for about 10-15 min
Footwork/headmovement drills for about 20-30 min

Pump/misc:
- Lateral raises, handstands, reverse flys, horsestance iso squats, a little bandwork

Cooldown/Stretching:
- Adductors, glutes, neck, pecs both PNF and static

I'm spent, but in a good way.

Last edited:
May I get your friend for some recording too :)?
Hooks look killer, man. You have always looked good on the bag and when shadow boxing, but there is some real improvements going on lately. I have noted you about that in the previous shadow boxing video too.

What is RFE btw?

May I also ask you about rest times and how long per average is your work out time?
I ve kind of noticed I spend about 2 hours per work out starting from entering the gym, eating my protein bar, changing for sports, warm ups, actual work out, warm downs, showering, changing, and drinking a protein bar. And that is quite a lot of time I do not have the luxury to use anymore.
Hey! Thanks for noticing. Yeah I am improving and I can feel it. The good thing is that I feel like the more I improve now, the more I will improve exponentially in the near future (up to a point of course). I am really looking forward to getting some workouts in with my coach AND having some sparring again. My fitness, mobility and strength is also increasing, so combined with getting more skilled, that's a strong combination. I'm turning 30 this summer so I feel like I have a few years left in my physical prime. My handspeed is not decreasing, and that is probably my biggest natural attribute.

Either way, I'll keep learning and growing. Slow and steady wins the race.

Yeah RFE is just Relevant Facilitating Exercise, which is a term I made up. Basicly it means a facilitating exercise that I find is good to put infront of whatever exercise I have to do next. Can be sprint stance against the wall, glute bridges (bi or unilateral), ankle jumps/boundings, single leg rotation, single leg DL variation, wall slide variations, whatever targets the specific muscles that is important next and "wakes them up". It's just one set with focus on squeeze and both dynamic and iso holds. Takes like half a minute. It's more about the intent than anything.

Workout time various. I try to keep it short, but usually it's about 1-1½ hours. That is just with the workouts themselves, if we add changing and showering it's more like 1½-2 hours on average.

Last edited:
I was KNACKERED after yesterdays training, but played some basketball today and did some drilling/"sparring"/shadowsparring with a friend from class. He's teaching me to play bball a little bit, I'm teaching him how to box. We were at it for a few hours.

We wanted to spar, but only had one pair of gloves so we improvised a little. Got some good rounds in nonetheless.

Good work out! Your friend does not look too bad for a novice. Teach him the footwork on how to jab, double jab, jab cross, double jab cross while going backwards to counter your advancing.

Good work out! Your friend does not look too bad for a novice. Teach him the footwork on how to jab, double jab, jab cross, double jab cross while going backwards to counter your advancing.
Yeah he's really good for how little he knows. He does a lot of things very well and he's hard to get in on. I'm obviously pulling all my punches, but I really have to work for it still and down the centerline he's hard to hit.

Yeah I'm constantly giving him small things on what my weaknesses are and having him stay active with the jab. He has zero experience outside what I've taught him. Cool thing is that I can work on a lot of stuff I want to work on too.

Warmup:
- Joint movement
- Dynamic
- Mobility

Trapbar DL:
RFE
- bar
- 10x70kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x120kg
- 3x150kg
- 3x150kg
- 3x160kg
- 1x170kg

A little hard to stabilise, first time trying that weight on a trapbar really, but felt fine otherwise.

Benchpress:
RFE
- bar
- 10x40kg
- 10x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 3x90kg
- 3x90kg
- 3x90kg

Felt heavy. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few days so that might be it.

Circuit:
- Single leg, unilateral pressups for 10 reps with 15kg
- Leg curls on bosuball for 15 reps
- Single leg deadlifts for 8 reps each side with 30kg
- Pullups 6 reps
x2

- Split stance CMJ for 5 reps each side
- Trap3, serratus and external rotation bandwork
- Neck work
x3

Misc:
- Horsestance isometric, to cossack squats, to lunge with rotations (and neck rotations), to half bridge, to sideplank to neckrolls, and same way back.
x2-3

Fun little movement series, my body feels extremely good after it as long as I can keep stable where I'm supposed to.

Cooldown/stretching

That about sums it up.

So max test for the Trapbar and Bench today. Did a little more than that as well.

Warmup:
- Dynamic
- Joint movement
- Mobility

Trapbar DL:
- Bar explosive jumps
- 5x60kg explosive jumps
- 5x80kg
- 3x100kg
- 1x120kg
- 1x140kg
- 1x160kg
- 1x180kg
- 1x200kg PR

Was a little wonky towards the end.

160kg

180kg

200kg

Benchpress:
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x70kg
- 3x80kg
- 1x90kg
- 1x100kg
- 1x110kg F
- 1x105kg

Failed the 110kg one within a hair. Didn't feel stable or strong. Don't know if it's the setup or what, although my setup does suck.

Decided to try squatting a little and doing some OHP, although I'm testing my real maxes for them in a few days.

Squat:
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 3x100kg
- 1x120kg
- 1x130kg
- 1x140kg
- 1x150kg F

Was really tired at this point already. I think 150kg is where I am at, but we'll see in a few days.

OHP:
- Bar
- 5x40kg
- 3x50kg
- 1x60kg
- 1x65kg
- 1x70kg F

Same thing here, I think I'm around 70kg at the moment. Haven't really done any OHP for a while.

Mobility Circuit:
Horsestance -> cossack squats -> lunges with t-spine extension + rotation -> half bridge -> front plank -> sideplank each side -> lunges with t-spine extension -> cossack squats -> horsestance
x2

So all in all not terrible considering.

Last edited:
Dude, do you even lift? Stop being lazy and post :)

Back