ways to increase pull up /chin up?

XxaemaeThxX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, any fellow guys in here that weight train have any tips on increasing pull ups or chin ups? I've always been able to increase my bench or dead lift or other generic lifts like that, by simply increasing the weight , but always struggled with pull ups /chin ups. I'm currently plateaued around 8-10 reps, I'm also 5'10 185lbs, so I'm not exactly light and carry some extra weight (though I'm mostly muscular) but I'm sure that isn't helping.

Do weighted reps with a progressive overload. Body-weight pull ups will become much easier afterwards. Add them on days when you train your back.

Grease the groove training, or something similar. Volume is the key IMO. You want to do more pull-ups? Then do more pull-ups.

how often are you doing pull-ups?

Are you doing negatives? Isometrics at various points of the movement?

Do you flex your entire body when you are doing the exercise?

Pyramid definitely works.

1 pullup, drop shake off
2 pullups, drop shake off
3 pullups etc...

Go as high as you can each time you do this exercise. Over a 3 month period my former colleague was an absolute pullup machine doing this. Like a previous poster said repetition is key. I would strongly advise against adding weight unless you're bodybuilding. If you're trying to achieve high reps then this method works 100%

do a day of weighted chins 5-6 reps alternated with 2-3 reps 3 sets and another day of BW chins 3xmax reps

Have you tried breathing? I'm not joking. Focus on your breathing, your muscles need oxygen if you plan on doing anything more than 10.

Greasing the groove worked for me. Hang a pull up bar outside your bedroom and crank out 5 or 6 reps each time you walk under it. I tested my rep max once per week and I would take one or two days off completely from pull ups every week just to properly recover.

In about a month my rep max went from 16 to 23. My lats got pretty juicy too.

For awhile I straggled with pullups, but I found working alot on your back overall will contribute to it down the line. Before I could do only 3 tops, and didn't really feel negatives were helping, but I basically did a very high volume (for my standards) routine where I did alot of horizontal rowing, and lat pulldowns. The ratio of vertical to horizontal was 3:2. The pulldowns aren't very popular opinion, but I feel without them, I wouldn't have been able to get my pullups where it is. Currently I can do 15 BW and 8-10 with 45lbs suspended. I'm 175-ish

Do weighted reps with a progressive overload. Body-weight pull ups will become much easier afterwards. Add them on days when you train your back.
Do this but do big sets with the assisted pullup machine too.

Start to use different grip width, use isometric holds keeping chin over the bar and entire body flexed both overhand and underhand grip (5x30 seconds each grip, 60 sec rest inbtwn sets), add weighted pyramid (3 sets adding weight, 3 sets back down to body weight), work on 100 rep ladder (1,2,3...up to 10, then 9,8,7..back down to one with adequate rest btwn each tier of the ladder, when you can do the full ladder start decreasing rest btwn each tier) When the ladder gets too easy start doing it with muscleups instead of pull ups.
<20>

Whats a good goal number of pull/chin ups the average person should aim for?

Hi guys, any fellow guys in here that weight train have any tips on increasing pull ups or chin ups? I've always been able to increase my bench or dead lift or other generic lifts like that, by simply increasing the weight , but always struggled with pull ups /chin ups. I'm currently plateaued around 8-10 reps, I'm also 5'10 185lbs, so I'm not exactly light and carry some extra weight (though I'm mostly muscular) but I'm sure that isn't helping.

I was going to post this question as well. Thanks for doing the work for me!

I'm doing them 2-3 times a week and I seem stuck at around 8 as well. I can do three sets but quality goes downhill pretty fast.

I'm about 190 and 6'2. My lanky frame just doesn't want to lift me. This is definitely the hardest exercise I've attempted. I seem to improve quickly with presses and weighted dips... Guess I have a weak back.

as with any exercise you want to train three areas ..

sprint - normal - hangs

1. super fast reps as many as you can all grip patterns (wide, medium, narrow, pull & chin)
2. Your normal routine (try to decrease rest intervals if possible, work breathing)
3. Hanging around (super slow pull & chins, hold positions at various positions both going up and down

Back