Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

Limbo Pete

Real History Man
@Steel
Reaction score
Black Panther War Room discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have to find pride in a fantasy film, there's something off about your continent. It's a very entertaining and visually beautiful movie, yet not exactly befitting of social and political reality in Africa. I fully agree that Donald Trump is both petty and vulgar, but was his "shithole" comment so off the mark that people need to rebuke it with a fictional movie?

Or am I just being a party pooper?
A black superhero arrived in Africa over the weekend — inspiring pride, tears of joy and a swift rebuke to President Trump’s crude comments about the continent. The sure-to-be blockbuster from Marvel generated enthusiastic responses from communities from Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa that are often stereotypically represented on the big screen. The film, with its almost entirely black cast and a young African-American director, received rave reviews after its stars walked the red carpet at a premiere in South Africa on Friday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/african-viewers-marvel-pride-black-panther-article-1.3827191

Black Panther has burst onto the screen in Africa, handing a powerful response to the unfortunate remarks about the continent by President Donald Trump.

As the red carpet in South Africa swirled with stunning outfits and exclamations in the local Xhosa language used in the film's fictional Wakanda kingdom, cast member John Kani laughed at the U.S. president's views, which several African nations have openly scorned.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/black-panther-opens-africa-1.4540610

When you have to find pride in a fantasy film, there's something off about your continent.

White people "have to find pride" in a 74 year-old man-child with the sensitivity of a pre-pubescent school girl, the temperament of a newborn, and the intellect of a toddler. Also, shitty country music.

Seriously, after white identity in North America culminated in the electing of the single most incompetent and embarrassing figure in American political history, you all can shut the fuck up about black people being happy to finally feel represented in popular culture instead of being portrayed as criminals, derelicts, and lust-crazed tropes.

White people "have to find pride" in a 74 year-old man-child with the sensitivity of a pre-pubescent school girl, the temperament of a newborn, and the intellect of a toddler. Also, shitty country music.

Seriously, after white identity in North America culminated in the electing of the single most incompetent and embarrassing figure in American political history, you all can shut the fuck up about black people being happy to finally feel represented in popular culture instead of being portrayed as criminals, derelicts, and lust-crazed tropes.

Western civilizations ushered the Renaissance, Age of Sail, Age of Enlightenment, Space Exploration and Digital Age. Africa is still, well, Africa. Are you sure it's "white identity" that brought Donald Trump to office instead of years of dissatisfaction with the status quo establishment?

you all can shut the fuck up about black people being happy to finally feel represented in popular culture instead of being portrayed as criminals, derelicts, and lust-crazed tropes.

Yea cuz a black dude has never been cast as a hero or the lead in a major movie or anything before .. its all so new and exciting. I musta dreamed of danny glover being too old for this shit and eddie murphy not falling for bananas in tail pipes , and will smith welcoming aliens to earth and blade suplexing dudes through the floor

idk about the politics or even the movie but the soundtrack is flames

Western civilizations ushered the Renaissance, Age of Sail, Age of Enlightenment, Space Exploration and Digital Age. Africa is still, well, Africa. Are you sure it's "white identity" that brought Donald Trump to office instead of years of dissatisfaction with the status quo establishment?

Oh Sherfront

When you have to find pride in a fantasy film, there's something off about your continent. It's a very entertaining and visually beautiful movie, yet not exactly befitting of social and political reality in Africa. I fully agree that Donald Trump is both petty and vulgar, but was his "shithole" comment so off the mark that people need to rebuke it with a fictional movie?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/african-viewers-marvel-pride-black-panther-article-1.3827191

Agreed.

MV5BMTkxNzI3ODI4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjkwMjY4MjE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

First of all, I'll go with the heresay that he didn't say Don Lemon's dirty word "quote."

Next, I'm hearing it's basically a Trump-like fantasy-country run as the POTUS would run it (wall and all).

Strange times.

I don't know about Black Pride.

But damn all those white people at Disney, Marvel, are loving those Box Office numbers.

Im a fan of anything that inspires people to be better. If thats trump being an asshole and making you not want to be like that, or some silly comic book movie, youve got my support

Great civilizations are initially inspired by great ideas and beautiful fantasies.

The West as we know it can trace its roots to ancient Greek philosophers fetishizing reason & logic.

Many amazing inventions today were fantasies of science fiction that inspired innovators to manifest them to physical reality.

Nothing wrong with people in Africa being inspired by a fantasy about African wealth and glory.

Someday, maybe soon, it will be a reality and this movie will have something to do with it.

I don't understand how you wouldn't want that to happen.

Some African countries were using Trump's comment as a tourism selling point, asking people to come visit their 'shitholes'.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...umps-shithole-comments-to-drive-tourism-vgtrn

Africans generally see their region maligned and denigrated, so a few of them are enthusiastic about this movie, because it doesn't malign them. Hardly seems like something to get worked up about. I mean are they never supposed to feel good about anything?

Are they not factual? History doesn't care about your feelings. It simply is what it is.

Calm down Ben Shapiro.

Many black people enjoying the movie articulate their reason for enjoying it so much- that it's a great fantasy that would be fantastic if it were true.

poor man's black cougar.

Oh Sherfront
lawlz. Everytime i see a thread about Greece and it's economic state you should see the amount of flaming that goes on in there. How do you feel about virtue signalling when it's white on white criticism?

The movie looks pretty awful. I would rather watch a Thor or Avengers movie although I'm not that desparate. The first 2 Xmen and Spiderman films are the only marvel movies I can stomach. Adding political motivation to the mix and I really must avoid.

Back