Leaving gyms

Yea if you're paying them a membership you don't owe them anything, just give them advanced notice and be done.

I recently left one of the gyms I was training at. Wanted to ask your guys opinion about my decision and if you would do the same? I'll try to keep it short........ My reason for leaving is that my coach only held pads for me twice 1 week before a title fight. All other training prior to that consisted primarily of bagwork and shadow boxing. A typical night of training consisted of 5 rounds shadow boxing, 5 rounds bag work, 2 rounds pads with partner (hopefully they know how to hold pads, most dont), 2 rounds me holding pads, 2 rounds sparring.

6 minutes of pads and 6 minutes of sparring is not enough IMO. The basic recipe for fighting is pads/clinch/spar, many more things can be supplemented in but they should not replace the main staples of training: pads/clinch/spar. im looking for fight training, not "muay thai class" and fighters do not prepare for fights by taking class. My record is now 8-2 so the guys I will be fighting are not beginners, many of the guys I could have been matched up with locally have made the jump to pro (early IMO). The other thing I noticed is that when the coach fights, he does not prepare himself for his fights in the same manner he prepares his fighters. Meaning for his fights he made sure he got in plenty of pads/clinch/spar. Where as when it comes to his fighters its pretty much.......shadow box, bagwork, go fight. I also saw a guy that couldnt even switch kick get sent to go have his first fight. So I guess to make a long story short, I left because I didnt feel that I was getting the training that I needed and to because of muaythaiathletes quote below. If I am paying for training and fighting/repping your gym, I feel that the coach should make sure you are well prepared. Many times it felt like we were just paying to use the facility. Why should myself and my friend pay to train at your gym so we can hold pads for each other, when we can hold pads for each other in my home gym for free.

“. . . As a student, you are paying for training and have a finite amount of years to pursue this passion, so make sure your training at a place that can reciprocate the effort you put in.”

To emphasis the effort I was putting in, i recently quit my job and was training twice a day 6 days a week with the goal of fighting going pro etc etc. now you may see twice a day 6 days a week and think that might be a bit overwhelming for the coach but for this specific situation, ( i cross train at 2 gyms) I was only training at the gym 1 x day, twice a week ( 2 sessions a week). I did try training at the gym 5 days a week, but the other days were even more "watered" down and the days I was going in were considered the better/harder training days. ( part of the reason for cross training at 2 gyms)

so to make a long story short I didnt feel that I was training at a place that was reciprocating the effort I was putting in. Specifically since Im older and only have a few years left to fight.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with my decision? Would you have done the same?

@ARIZE decided to tag you man, hopefully some of the other experienced regulars can chime in as well.
You're not to blame here at all. Going by what you're saying here and what I've seen from your other posts, you need a fight team with people you can build on. A coach who knows you through and through and who can actually coach you and training partners who have the same mindset as you so they can help you prepare. I would consider anything that doesn't fit in that plan a waste of time.

You're not to blame here at all. Going by what you're saying here and what I've seen from your other posts, you need a fight team with people you can build on. A coach who knows you through and through and who can actually coach you and training partners who have the same mindset as you so they can help you prepare. I would consider anything that doesn't fit in that plan a waste of time.

thanks man

Last edited:
I recently left one of the gyms I was training at. Wanted to ask your guys opinion about my decision and if you would do the same? I'll try to keep it short........ My reason for leaving is that my coach only held pads for me twice 1 week before a title fight. All other training prior to that consisted primarily of bagwork and shadow boxing. A typical night of training consisted of 5 rounds shadow boxing, 5 rounds bag work, 2 rounds pads with partner (hopefully they know how to hold pads, most dont), 2 rounds me holding pads, 2 rounds sparring.

6 minutes of pads and 6 minutes of sparring is not enough IMO. The basic recipe for fighting is pads/clinch/spar, many more things can be supplemented in but they should not replace the main staples of training: pads/clinch/spar. im looking for fight training, not "muay thai class" and fighters do not prepare for fights by taking class. My record is now 8-2 so the guys I will be fighting are not beginners, many of the guys I could have been matched up with locally have made the jump to pro (early IMO). The other thing I noticed is that when the coach fights, he does not prepare himself for his fights in the same manner he prepares his fighters. Meaning for his fights he made sure he got in plenty of pads/clinch/spar. Where as when it comes to his fighters its pretty much.......shadow box, bagwork, go fight. I also saw a guy that couldnt even switch kick get sent to go have his first fight. So I guess to make a long story short, I left because I didnt feel that I was getting the training that I needed and to because of muaythaiathletes quote below. If I am paying for training and fighting/repping your gym, I feel that the coach should make sure you are well prepared. Many times it felt like we were just paying to use the facility. Why should myself and my friend pay to train at your gym so we can hold pads for each other, when we can hold pads for each other in my home gym for free.

“. . . As a student, you are paying for training and have a finite amount of years to pursue this passion, so make sure your training at a place that can reciprocate the effort you put in.”

To emphasis the effort I was putting in, i recently quit my job and was training twice a day 6 days a week with the goal of fighting going pro etc etc. now you may see twice a day 6 days a week and think that might be a bit overwhelming for the coach but for this specific situation, ( i cross train at 2 gyms) I was only training at the gym 1 x day, twice a week ( 2 sessions a week). I did try training at the gym 5 days a week, but the other days were even more "watered" down and the days I was going in were considered the better/harder training days. ( part of the reason for cross training at 2 gyms)

so to make a long story short I didnt feel that I was training at a place that was reciprocating the effort I was putting in. Specifically since Im older and only have a few years left to fight.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with my decision? Would you have done the same?

@ARIZE decided to tag you man, hopefully some of the other experienced regulars can chime in as well.
I'm surprised you didn't leave earlier! That sounds like the type of Schedule for first year beginners definitley not Fighters. I just train for fun and would normally expect a minimum 5x5s clinch 5x3s pads and sparring. If you are willing to fight for a gym then you deserve the coach to give it his all to give you the absolute best shot you can have, fighting is dangerous as fuck and never something that should be half arsed. If you're coaching for fitness or fun then whatever it's your business run it how you like but to never even hold pads for a fighter is beyond poor.

Nothing to feel bad for. Everything in life has to be mutual, they get money-you get quality training.
One gym I attended once in Oz had us hold pads for one another which is bulllshit..."I'm not paying to be trainer, I'm paying to be a fighter" 55

I left a bjj gym close to a year ago. Told them I'm getting too old and feeling the bumps too much. I've been at a muay thai gym since then.

I'd be honest no matter why I left. This is their business in most cases so I'm guessing they would want to know.

Iv been to a few gyms. originally a pure MT gym, i wanted to transition to mma eventually and had more of a boxing footwork than a pure MT footwork. It worked for my style but my Kru was having non of it so i left.

Second gym was mainly a bjj gym but i had to leave because i was moving houses and it would be too far.

Shopped around for a bit and found a bang bro gym. It was okay as i hadent sparred much so it really helped me face my fears and not be afraid of getting hit. As soon as i was over that though the squats and bag work didnt help me much (never hit pads there).

Found Bazooka was just over a 45 min drive so it was viable and started there. I really felt as if they were trying to make you into a better fighter but ince again was mostly conditioning and pads (hitting pads with a partner was a new concept for me here so it actually helped a ton). I ended up moving further north and it was too far a travel.

The gym im at now and will hopefully stay at and make a hq is the best so far. Proper technique on the pads is super important to the gym and my coach has a notebook he keeps little notes on everyones progress in. It feels more like a home than any of the others and its the only time iv had a coach actually talk 5-10 min after class about myself or techniques with me

Iv been to a few gyms. originally a pure MT gym, i wanted to transition to mma eventually and had more of a boxing footwork than a pure MT footwork. It worked for my style but my Kru was having non of it so i left.

Second gym was mainly a bjj gym but i had to leave because i was moving houses and it would be too far.

Shopped around for a bit and found a bang bro gym. It was okay as i hadent sparred much so it really helped me face my fears and not be afraid of getting hit. As soon as i was over that though the squats and bag work didnt help me much (never hit pads there).

Found Bazooka was just over a 45 min drive so it was viable and started there. I really felt as if they were trying to make you into a better fighter but ince again was mostly conditioning and pads (hitting pads with a partner was a new concept for me here so it actually helped a ton). I ended up moving further north and it was too far a travel.

The gym im at now and will hopefully stay at and make a hq is the best so far. Proper technique on the pads is super important to the gym and my coach has a notebook he keeps little notes on everyones progress in. It feels more like a home than any of the others and its the only time iv had a coach actually talk 5-10 min after class about myself or techniques with me

totally bro, for a fighter, the basic recipe is pads clinch spar. if your coach aint holding pads for you and you aint clinching and sparring.......you aint training.

@ARIZE decided to tag you man

Ah shit, sorry man, I've must have missed the tag...

I'm 100% behind your decision... I used to move a lot, so I've changed gyms and trainers a lot. But I've also changed gyms by choice. My first trainer was an old school Thai guy in France. He made me the fighter I am today (stylishly), but he also put the bases on what I consider a proper training session for "serious" fighters. Every other trainer I had, I automatically compared them to him. So when I felt that the level or type of training is not good for me, i don't hesitate, I change gyms... But I make sure I can find something better.

If I wake up a day, and i find myself thinking that I need to train a lot more at my home gym, with the help of some friends... that means there is a problem.
The only time I didn't change gyms even with that feeling, it was because after 2 years there, I had a good relation with the guy and we talked about it. Basically it started as a small gym for pros, but was becoming more of a fitness camp... I stayed 6 more month, but it was getting slowly back to a cross fit thing...

But the main reason I've changed gyms, it's because the trainer wasn't preparing me in my style... I' ve changed gym because one of them was too much into punching combination... I don't use a 6 punch combination in my matches, so to spend an entire month drilling it for example, is a waste of time for me. Another one dint train clinch almost at all.
I need a guy that can adapt his training to my needs, to my style, and not the other way around. (Hell, one of my best experiences, was in a TKD ITF gym, because the guy was very open minded, and was trying to teach me stuffs that I could use in MT, and not just for TKD. He adapted his classes in a way I could beneficiate from it, but still teaching his art. I started there when i couldn't find a decent MT gym, and dint want to loose agility and speed, and finally stayed many more years cross training..)

And that's without the classic "MT gym", but in reality it's a KB one... no clinch, no elbows and some times not even knees...
Or the professional gyms... without a ring.

Another reason I left a gym, was because I was becoming slowly the second trainer there... I don't mind helping every now and then, spend time (that I pay) with some beginner that needs help drilling or explaining something. Because I remember when I was one, it was cool from the more experienced guys to give me pointers etc... But there is a limit. There is a difference from: helping as an experienced guy, and do the trainers job for free.

I understand the concept of "loyalty" to a trainer, to a gym... But when someone at your level, feel it in his guts that something is wrong, something is missing with the training, you gotta go. You are not a beginner, you know what you need... Just make sure you go somewhere that has it.

Since I've been to a lot of different gyms, I've gathered a good amount of experiences, and I know early if it will do for me or not. Of course, the trainers must get to know you, and that may take some time, but you can see how they train the other fighters... I also spend some time after class to talk about my style with them, ask their opinion about it, and see how they respond.

Another think is that I'm not a very social person when I go train... I go to the gym, I train, I go back home... I don't really socialize with those guys, I don't hang with them, I don't do activities they organize. So I may have a good relation, but we are not close friends usually, we are not "family". So I never felt that I "betrayed" them. I'm just not a satisfied client...

Now, if you are at a gym and you train there for free, or even get payed by them to represent them, to attract clients, or to help with classes, then you should talk about it. But if you' re a just client, and if you're not satisfied with the quality of what they sell, you made the right call, and there is nothing wrong about it...

Anyway, that's my experiences with it, my opinion about it... And I can understand others having a different view about it. (Except the part about the 6 punches combo in MT...)

Last edited:
Ah shit, sorry man, I've must have missed the tag...

I'm 100% behind your decision... I used to move a lot, so I've changed gyms and trainers a lot. But I've also changed gyms by choice. My first trainer was an old school Thai guy in France. He made me the fighter I am today (stylishly), but he also put the bases on what I consider a proper training session for "serious" fighters. Every other trainer I had, I automatically compared them to him. So when I felt that the level or type of training is not good for me, i don't hesitate, I change gyms... But I make sure I can find something better.

If I wake up a day, and i find myself thinking that I need to train a lot more at my home gym, with the help of some friends... that means there is a problem.
The only time I didn't change gyms even with that feeling, it was because after 2 years there, I had a good relation with the guy and we talked about it. Basically it started as a small gym for pros, but was becoming more of a fitness camp... I stayed 6 more month, but it was getting slowly back to a cross fit thing...

But the main reason I've changed gyms, it's because the trainer wasn't preparing me in my style... I' ve changed gym because one of them was too much into punching combination... I don't use a 6 punch combination in my matches, so to spend an entire month drilling it for example, is a waste of time for me. Another one dint train clinch almost at all.
I need a guy that can adapt his training to my needs, to my style, and not the other way around. (Hell, one of my best experiences, was in a TKD ITF gym, because the guy was very open minded, and was trying to teach me stuffs that I could use in MT, and not just for TKD. He adapted his classes in a way I could beneficiate from it, but still teaching his art. I started there when i couldn't find a decent MT gym, and dint want to loose agility and speed, and finally stayed many more years cross training..)

And that's without the classic "MT gym", but in reality it's a KB one... no clinch, no elbows and some times not even knees...
Or the professional gyms... without a ring.

Another reason I left a gym, was because I was becoming slowly the second trainer there... I don't mind helping every now and then, spend time (that I pay) with some beginner that needs help drilling or explaining something. Because I remember when I was one, it was cool from the more experienced guys to give me pointers etc... But there is a limit. There is a difference from: helping as an experienced guy, and do the trainers job for free.

I understand the concept of "loyalty" to a trainer, to a gym... But when someone at your level, feel it in his guts that something is wrong, something is missing with the training, you gotta go. You are not a beginner, you know what you need... Just make sure you go somewhere that has it.

Since I've been to a lot of different gyms, I've gathered a good amount of experiences, and I know early if it will do for me or not. Of course, the trainers must get to know you, and that make take some time, but you can see how they train the other fighters... I also spend some time after class to talk about my style with them, ask their opinion about it, and see how they respond.

Another think is that I'm not a very social person when I go train... I go to the gym, I train, I go back home... I don't really socialize with those guys, I don't hang with them, I don't do activities they organize. So I may have a good relation, but we are not close friends usually, we are not "family". So I never felt that I "betrayed" them. I'm just not a satisfied client...

Now, if you are at a gym and you train there for free, or even get payed by them to represent them, to attract clients, or to help with classes, then you should talk about it. But if you' re a just client, and if you're not satisfied with the quality of what they sell, you made the right call, and there is nothing wrong about it...

Anyway, that's my experiences with it, my opinion about it... And I can understand others having a different view about it. (Except the part about the 6 punches combo in MT...)

hit the nail on the head. and i can relate to everything you said and have probably been in the same shoes for almost everything you mentioned as well.

Last edited:
@shincheckin did you find a new gym already?

I'll be in this position soon as I've been inactive for six months with a knee injury and my old gym closed shop in the meantime. Totally different situation though as I'm an after-work hobbist.

Anyway I'm so afraid of injuring my knee again and having to go under the knife, I may never train seriously ever again. I did a test boxing class last week at the same gym where some friends train and I'm very inclined to just keep going to a playboy gym where I can cruise and show off to college girls :D

Back