Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
A SAW can be specific to self defense.... That's a go. The other area ordinances you mentioned? Not so much...
my brother was a mortarman in Iraq in the battle of Najar, but due to ROEs and them using the golden mosque as a launching pad he couldn't fire mortars back.

So......he was the SAW gunner. 17 or so 'confirmed' kills (i've heard it's closer to 40 or 50) later to this day he 'would recommend' hahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Najaf_(2004)
never gets talked about, but this shit was no joke. Got down to hand to hand/ fix bayonets, literally

Fair enough, and I agree or a Shotty depending on the situation (and as Bill Burr said, you're not trying to do drywall afterwards and shit haha)

so what do you personally recommend be done about the crazies w/ guns? It's obviously not normal, law abiding people doing this shit. I mean sane people don't kill others randomly

With 300 million other firearms already potentially making their way onto the black market, restricting access or tightening background checks (whatever the fuck that means), is pretty much just security theater like you mentioned.

I also agree that this shit isn't normal. Societal decay is a serious problem here. The obvious tractable answer to me is making these schools and other establishments less of a soft target. For one, teachers that have their CCWs should be able to carry in schools. @jgarner I don't expect them to turn into a tier one operator and go clear a three story compound. I would expect them to take the best position inside the classroom and dictate where the gunfight happens (the smartest option in pretty much any engagement).

M16/4 & M27 - Rifle
M240 - Machine Gun
M249 - Light Machine Gun, or LMG for short.

"Sniper Rifle" is again, just a colloquial term for rifle.
you'd place the 27 and SAW separately? that due to weight, or look? or the use of both mag and belt feeds?

A) it's replacing it partially
B) it's fully automatic, unlike the semi/burst M4s we all use
C) although ti comes w/ a 30 round mag (weak as f), it does optional larger drums

I'm just generally curious, you seem like a pretty big gun guy.

my brother was a mortarman in Iraq in the battle of Najar, but due to ROEs and them using the golden mosque as a launching pad he couldn't fire mortars back.

So......he was the SAW gunner. 17 or so 'confirmed' kills (i've heard it's closer to 40 or 50) later to this day he 'would recommend' hahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Najaf_(2004)
never gets talked about, but this shit was no joke. Got down to hand to hand/ fix bayonets, literally

Oh shit, he was there?? You've seen the video right?

With 300 million other firearms already potentially making their way onto the black market, restricting access or tightening background checks (whatever the fuck that means), is pretty much just security theater like you mentioned.

I also agree that this shit isn't normal. Societal decay is a serious problem here. The obvious tractable answer to me is making these schools and other establishments less of a soft target. For one, teachers that have their CCWs should be able to carry in schools. @jgarner I don't expect them to turn into a tier one operator and go clear a three story compound. I would expect them to take the best position inside the classroom and dictate where the gunfight happens (the smartest option in pretty much any engagement).
that makes sense, i.e. the soft targets.

i work on a marine base, trust me when i say NOBODY is worried about anything (despite Ft Hood and other things).

Serious question: what's an assault weapon?

I believe it's a fuzzy definition based on having a combination of traits, some of which are purely cosmetic or ergonomic like handle shape. I'd need to know what is being banned and how the ban could be circumnavigated to make a decent statement on it.

you'd place the 27 and SAW separately? that due to weight, or look?

A) it's replacing it partially
B) it's fully automatic, unlike the semi/burst M4s we all use
C) although ti comes w/ a 30 round mag (weak as f), it does optional larger drums

I'm just generally curious, you seem like a pretty big gun guy.

I think the idea of the LMG catergory is that an LMG is considered light enough to shoulder-fire, while a Machine Gun typically isn't.. it's usually mounted or used with a bipod. Of course I'm sure there are cases where infantry have used Machine Gun's rambo style, or LMG's with bipods.. so really it's another meaningless distinction.

Oh shit, he was there?? You've seen the video right?
yes, he was CAAT A or B in 1/4

he got hit by a Mortar, severed femoral artery but lived. has nerve damage and no feeling in his entire life arm, permanently disabled/retired from the Marines

I think the idea of the LMG catergory is that an LMG is considered light enough to shoulder-fire, while a Machine Gun typically isn't.. it's usually mounted or used with a bipod. Of course I'm sure there are cases where infantry have used Machine Gun's rambo style, or LMG's with bipods.. so really it's another meaningless distinction.
appreciate it
i have virtually no experience w/ weapons outside the military, so i'm not trying to be snarky or anything. Legitimately wanted your view

yes, he was CAAT A or B in 1/4

he got hit by a Mortar, severed femoral artery but lived. has nerve damage and no feeling in his entire life arm, permanently disabled/retired from the Marines

Ugh, I'm sorry to read that mate. I hope he's* being well taken care of? I know how the VA can fuck around sometimes.

Reads like he had a good medic.... or got a TQ on himself quick enough?

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm sorry to read that mate. I hope being well taken care of? I know how the VA can fuck around sometimes.

Reads like he had a good medic.... or got a TQ on himself quick enough?
yes, Corpsman absolutely saved his life before getting surgery to reattach the artery

He's 100% disabled, but has pretty rough PTSD from it all. He's doing good though. As good as can be considered

I mean my best friend growing up was killed in Fallujah in 06, and we went to his funeral, it was rough. It can always be worse

Oddly enough, i served literally in the same company w/ this crazy dude, and swear I took this photo that was used for the story.
3E89169C00000578-4338732-image-m-25_1490208511197.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-v...n-hit-with-upgraded-charges-for-nyc-stabbing/

yes, Corpsman absolutely saved his life before getting surgery to reattach the artery

He's 100% disabled, but has pretty rough PTSD from it all. He's doing good though. As good as can be considered

I mean my best friend growing up was killed in Fallujah in 06, and we went to his funeral, it was rough. It can always be worse

Oddly enough, i served literally in the same company w/ this crazy dude, and swear I took this photo that was used for the story.
3E89169C00000578-4338732-image-m-25_1490208511197.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-v...n-hit-with-upgraded-charges-for-nyc-stabbing/

GD bro... I'm just glad the story ended with him getting out of that shit alive. Was he in the same complex as that video with Haley and them?

Where specifically is anyones right to an AR outlined?

Not a rifle, or firearm, or handgun. But an Assault Rifle?

Why would the Bill of Rights list every type of arm after it says the federal government can't infringe upon The People's right to keep and bear them? The 1st doesn't list every religion or every type of publication. Since it doesn't say internet and the founders could have never envisioned it then it must be excluded, right?

Now answer my question. The Constitution grants powers to the Federal government and reserves what's not listed for the states and people. Where is gun banning granted in as specific or more specific language than where the Bill of Rights carves them out as protected from legislation?

I agree, but apparently we also don't handle being crazy as well

Japan has mad violence in their media/video games, yet little to no violent crime. They do have mad suicides tho

Switzerland has mad guns, but little to no gun crime and certainly not mass shootings

There's something very specific about US society ( I think personally it's the lack of discipline, coddling, everyone's special environment coupled w/ social media, everyone's special and entitled, lack of parenting, etc...with the mental health treatment and drugging of youth/teens) that produces people that not only are willing to die, but take mad innocent people w/ them. In a First World Nation there's something seriously wrong w/ that (we shit on ME and Islamic countries all the time for producing the dame types of people, just w/ bombs or trucks) and literally nothing is being down by both political parties about it

I get it, i hate mass punishment, but i also don't personally own an AR so i clearly i could do without one. Something has to change though, whatever it is I don't know. I post on Sherdog FFS and also live in Cali which has relatively strict laws already

I think you missed 3 of the biggest factors imo, Wealth disparity, lack of social cohesion, poor social safety nets.
Combine all that with easy access to small arms of comparable utility to what armies use and you get America's mass homicide problems.

Back