• Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Other (specify)

• Wilt Chamberlain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say it's Muhammad Ali, what do you guys say?

mali.jpg

Jordan or Ruth.

The second half of the century belonged to Jordan, the first to Ruth. Jordan was more global, but Ruth arrested American culture in awe in a way that nobody else has ever done but Jordan. Not even Ali swirling in the midst of a raging era of political tempest achieved it.

In America or the world?
In America I would say Ali.
In the World then for people over 30-35 it's Pele, for people under 30 it's Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo.

voted for Michael Jordan but surprised by the lack of Wilt Chamberlain and Cristiano Ronaldo (even tho not a fan of either).

Some strange names on that list, guess it depends on what definition of "greatest" you're going for. In terms of not only being a dominate player but also just being an all around good person and carrying themselves like a professional, Michael Jordan would be my pick. Of course by my definition, half of the people on that list would be eliminated.

Some strange names on that list, guess it depends on what definition of "greatest" you're going for. In terms of not only being a dominate player but also just being an all around good person and carrying themselves like a professional, Michael Jordan would be my pick. Of course by my definition, half of the people on that list would be eliminated.

Who would you put on the poll?

Who would you put on the poll?
A lot of the same ones, but a few like Ali, Mayweather, Tiger Woods would have to come off. Terrific in their sports, no doubt. But as a public figure, they're by no means role models. Larry Bird could be added, Serena Williams. I'm sure with some more time I'd come up with a few more.

A lot of the same ones, but a few like Ali, Mayweather, Tiger Woods would have to come off. Terrific in their sports, no doubt. But as a public figure, they're by no means role models. Larry Bird could be added, Serena Williams. I'm sure with some more time I'd come up with a few more.

You would take Ali out? He's universally praised by most people in the world.

You would take Ali out? He's universally praised by most people in the world.
He is now, sort of. Time has a way of changing perspective. In his hay day, he most certainly wasn't respected by everyone. He still isn't, but you don't hear about it, mostly out of respect.

I'm from Boston and a big Larry Bird fan. That said, he wasn't exactly a squeaky clean role model either. Talked a TON of shit on the court. Abandoned his first daughter. Used to get drunk a lot and get into bar fights and stuff. He was protected by the fawning local media to an extent that an athlete these days would not be. Also athletes these days would be ripped to shreds for starting as many fights as he did on the court, let alone off of it.

I'm from Boston and a big Larry Bird fan. That said, he wasn't exactly a squeaky clean role model either. Talked a TON of shit on the court. Abandoned his first daughter. Used to get drunk a lot and get into bar fights and stuff. He was protected by the fawning local media to an extent that an athlete these days would not be. Also athletes these days would be ripped to shreds for starting as many fights as he did on the court, let alone off of it.
Never actually heard that before. Then I'd agree, take him off the list.
giphy.gif

Of course if we dug deep enough, the list would be really short.

Pretty disrespectful that Jackie Robinson isn’t on the list but scrubs like Bo Jackson and roided up losers like Messi are.

Back