Hockey Fans Thrown Out for "Racism"

Not on principle... I honestly didn't think you would say that. Making those kind of gestures to a black person is deeply degrading and dehumanizing and for you to think it isn't explicitly racist is confusing to say the least.
It's degrading and dehumanizing to do it to anyone, yes? Specify what is explicitly racist about it. Sound it out.

You're depending on signals, context, history, and implication. I'd say it's pretty straightforward, but the problem with that is crossed signals. Could just be guys monkeying around-- being jackasses. It could be guys intending to degrade someone without intending racist intent (ex. is it not racist, or less likely to be perceived as racism, if it's a black guy doing it to another black guy? Like how black guys can drop "n****r" and not worry about a second glance unless they're on national TV?)

The key to demonstrating what is explicit means reducing the noise (i.e. subtext). An example I used earlier was blackface. There's really no other signal or indication with blackface. It's uniquely tied to that tradition. Even better are explicitly racist terms, and just as much is racial invective or threats (i.e. "Go home, blackie! Your kind are too stupid to play quarterback!")

Sure it does. Devante Smith-Pelly is 6 ft even. Wonder what reason they may have been yelling "basketball" at him?

I'm not dumb its because he's a black hockey player and my example are because he's a gangly white kid, both are mean things to say.

That's stretching things quite a bit. They were basically telling him to bugger off and play another sport, and since basketball is a sport consisting of mostly black people, they yelled "basketball" at him as a joke. I didn't take it as the reason they want him gone in the first place is because he's black.

A joke....you racists fucking amaze me. You define racism in a post and then say it wasn't racism......in the same fucking post!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did I say wrong, my boy?

Why do you view the world in such black and white (no pun) terms?

So you don't think they were targeting his race, just happened to say "basketball" randomly - they want him to get off the ice and go play basketball instead... but it has nothing to do with him being black at all.

Do I have that right?

<36>

It's a private property and they have every right to kick them out and keep them out.

However why is shouting basketball racist?

I must be behind the times on what's racist and not anymore.

You did say it? or was this just phrased incorrectly:

"racism doesn't have a power component despite what SJWs want people to believe"

Well if it plays a part than that explains why a lot of white people and society in general don't take it a seriously as minority racism, which can be a problem as well.
so who has more power/influence here in this specific situation
white rando young male hockey fans

or a black NHL professional hockey player?

clearly the hockey player right? but this is an individual matter, not systemic/government sanctioned so that's why it is not a necessary part of the equation

So you don't think they were targeting his race, just happened to say "basketball" randomly - they want him to get off the ice and go play basketball instead... but it has nothing to do with him being black at all.

Do I have that right?

<36>

Just about.

They wanted him off the ice possibly because they don't like him for other reasons (why, I don't know... I don't watch hockey or even know who this cat is.) Their decision to chant basketball had to do with him being black, but that isn't racist in and of itself because basketball isn't racist, even if it's a sport they don't like.

Just about.

They wanted him off the ice possibly because they don't like him for other reasons (why, I don't know... I don't watch hockey or even know who this cat is.) Their decision to chant basketball had to do with him being black, but that isn't racist in and of itself because basketball isn't racist, even if it's a sport they don't like.

Lockard - do you realize that basketball is a stereotype towards black people. Is that something that you acknowledge and understand?

If so, that might help you realize WHY they were chanting this at a BLACK player. They werent chanting this at white players - it was at the black player.. because his skin color is black.. that is inherently racist.

Shut up, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Most things including racism are not as simple and cut and dry as people wanna make them out to be.

In this instance it was cut and dry. And you made yourself look like an idiot.

That's stretching things quite a bit. They were basically telling him to bugger off and play another sport, and since basketball is a sport consisting of mostly black people, they yelled "basketball" at him as a joke. I didn't take it as the reason they want him gone in the first place is because he's black.

Lockard - do you realize that basketball is a stereotype towards black people. Is that something that you acknowledge and understand?

If so, that might help you realize WHY they were chanting this at a BLACK player. They werent chanting this at white players - it was at the black player.. because his skin color is black.. that is inherently racist.

No it isn't. Because like I said in my very first f'n post, the stereotype isn't a negative one.

Same thing with joking about black people loving fried chicken and watermelon - It isn't saying negative really, it's just a funny stereotype about what black people love to eat.

In this instance it was cut and dry. And you made yourself look like an idiot.

Anyone who believes anything that was said here by these fans is "racist" is the idiot, not me. Typical simpletons of average/below-average intelligence.

No it isn't. Because like I said in my very first f'n post, the stereotype isn't a negative one.

Same thing with joking about black people loving fried chicken and watermelon - It isn't saying negative really, it's just a funny stereotype about what black people love to eat.

Saying a black person should be playing basketball instead of hockey IS racist.

Using your example, that would be like chanting "watermelon" or "fried chicken" at a black person eating at an Italian restaurant. You don't see how that is racist?

so who has more power/influence here in this specific situation
white rando young male hockey fans

or a black NHL professional hockey player?

clearly the hockey player right? but this is an individual matter, not systemic/government sanctioned so that's why it is not a necessary part of the equation

How is this clearly the hockey player who has the power in this case? He's in a minority in a sport which the players are 99% white, all the owners and all the people with power are white, the fans are at least 90% white and he's being racially goaded. It's not like he can just walk out and leave during a game.

Last edited:
Saying a black person should be playing basketball instead of hockey IS racist.

Using your example, that would be like chanting "watermelon" or "fried chicken" at a black person eating at an Italian restaurant. You don't see how that is racist?

It isn't if it's only intended as a joke.

And I already explained to you several posts ago the flaw in your logic, but you're either ignoring it or just too fucking stupid to get it:

It isn't if it's only intended as a joke.

And I already explained to you several posts ago the flaw in your logic, but you're either ignoring it or just too fucking stupid to get it:

You are the one exposing yourself as the idiot in this thread, believe me.

I was shocked at how hard this is for you to grasp. Literally shocked to the point where I feel legitimately bad and embarrassed for you.

This thread is extremely eye opening for me.

Back