Billy Mitchell under fire - UPDATE: Denies all allegations, says info is coming to clear his name

In the past month, there have been a couple of scandals that have popped up regarding folks with records being hosted by Twin Galaxies (the keeper of video game records). If I remember correctly off the top of my head:

- A record owner entered his own score in the Twin Galaxy Database
- A record owner was also a referee at Twin Galaxy
- A record owner is closer friends with Twin Galaxy employees
- Current computers cannot top the "fastest race" of some Atari 2600 scores...therefore, current gamers believe the original "record" was an untruth.
- A handful of records on Twin Galaxies are over twice as high as the #2 on the top 10 list. This seems highly suspicious.

How much longer until Guiness Book of World Records no longer use Twin Galaxies as their official record keepers?

Guinness themselves aren't exactly the masters of record keeping they like to make out. A lot of their bodybuilding records have been given to frauds (biggest biceps, biggest chest measurement). Their current world record holder for "longest mustache" doesn't have a particularly impressive amount of hair coming from his upper lip, but the two dreadlocks of dead hair stuck to his chin were enough to convince their adjudicators.

The first half of king of kong showed the classic arcade community were already having problems with them over a decade ago. I know the speed running community has already pretty much abandoned Twin Galaxies due to various issues they had with them.

The interesting thing is that, from what I've read, the director said that they actually chose not included certain material that they shot because it would make him look like TOO MUCH of an asshole.

Well that didn't work.

I had a world record on one of the Strider remake time trials for a good bit, by a decent margin.

It was like dipping my toes into some bizzaro land... random people were sending me messages on steam to post videos of my runs, wanted me to go to some forum and tell my strategy, jump timing, etc... and it felt kind of insulting to just be like "look, I just played the fu*king level like 500 times and tried different things til I couldnt get my time any lower".

So whag if he used an emulator if its not altered at all?

There is only one Billy Mitchell
220px-Billy_Mitchell.jpg

Was he the battleShip bomber pilot?

Like he said in future conflicts battleships will be sunk by planes?

Damn I never knew all that demonstration in the 1920s were done on an emulator!!

So whag if he used an emulator if its not altered at all?

Well as some people have mentioned, emulation gives you the ability to use saved states and then potentially edit a video together to make it look like it's one continuous run. So that raises suspicion.

For another, Twin Galaxies keeps Arcade scores and MAME scores separate.

Well as some people have mentioned, emulation gives you the ability to use saved states and then potentially edit a video together to make it look like it's one continuous run. So that raises suspicion.

.ah gotchs yeah I see the problems.

Oh well I guess now he is like Anderson Silva.

Tainted meat...

Emulators feel different too. I can grab my NES console, throw on Mario 1 and breeze through the first few levels. Basically just running and jumping continually without stopping since it's ingrained in my memory.

When I try to do the same thing on an emulator, I end up falling into holes and dying in spots where I never fall on the actual console. Something about the game play is slightly different. It doesn't give me an advantage but it's definitely not the same as the console.

He went to my high school. Dude comes from a chicken wing empire. His family’s place is pretty good.

Emulators feel different too. I can grab my NES console, throw on Mario 1 and breeze through the first few levels. Basically just running and jumping continually without stopping since it's ingrained in my memory.

When I try to do the same thing on an emulator, I end up falling into holes and dying in spots where I never fall on the actual console. Something about the game play is slightly different. It doesn't give me an advantage but it's definitely not the same as the console.

Yeah, I saw someone on one of the videos that were posted earlier say that the timing is just a little different.

I can't say I've ever noticed in the past when I played Ninja Gaiden (NES) on an emulator, but maybe that's because I didn't play it back-to-back with the cartridge version.

Yeah it feels laggy at times the FPS mayve the same but it seems the controls respond differently.

I noticed this on Street Fighter 2 Champ Exhibition for the Sega mega Drived.

Its hard to Shoryuken!!

I had a world record on one of the Strider remake time trials for a good bit, by a decent margin.

I set a record on one of the "Bionic Commando: Re-armed" challenge rooms. It lasted about six seconds. No requests for Youtube videos were sent. LOL. I think it's still somewhere in the top 200 though. It least it was when I last checked. Doubt those servers are even up anymore.

Other than that, my only other gaming achievement was being top 5 in NHL 2K....(the one with Roenick on the cover), back when Xbox Live was in it's infancy. That shit was hilarious, because once you get up there, it's just a game who can block the cheap goal exploits the best. You're not even playing the game. You're just trying to have your players be in position to dive in front of the cheese.

Yeah it feels laggy at times the FPS mayve the same but it seems the controls respond differently.

I noticed this on Street Fighter 2 Champ Exhibition for the Sega mega Drived.

Its hard to Shoryuken!!

Donkey Kong is much easier on mame. The cabinets have a clunky stick, you can turn around much faster with a keyboard.

Donkey Kong is much easier on mame. The cabinets have a clunky stick, you can turn around much faster with a keyboard.

I use a game pad that looks like PS1 control

I want an arcade stick for my PC but not available locally I would order it next month thru mazon.

I beat the original TMNT for Nintendo on an emulator in high school.

Emulator or not, idgaf, it counts.

I've noticed the same thing playing Mario games on my soft modded original XBOX(which is loaded with emulators). There is just something off about the games, maybe some small minor barely noticeable lag in the controls or something, it's just not right.

It's hard to believe that someone would go through such great lengths for the high score on a 40 year old game. Fuck him, Todd Rogers and Twin Galaxies. King of Kong needs a short epilogue now.

I saw this documentary a few years ago. It was entertaining but not a big deal. I don't know why TS is jizzing his pants over this.

Seriously TS, what's wrong with you? Go out and get some sunlight.

Agree. Fairly interesting but hardly great.

Everyone seen Chasing Ghost?

I like it better as a documentary of classic gaming than KoK

I think one of the guys is the doc is a convicted Pedo now and amazingly its not Walter Day that really hurts my enjoyment of the film now.

Last edited:
Back