Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Monday
Pulls 35%of max rep so 5*6, 30% of max rep so 5*5.
Pushes 48% of max rep so 5*12, 40% of max rep so 5*10.
200 Crunches.

Tuesday
Nogi with coach Le Gourrierec:
Wrestler bridges including walking in rotation.
Bear crawl and spin out of guillotine from turtle drill.
Anaconda with wrestler grips.
Counter to counter.
Keys: when bear walking to back out of guillotine, turn your rear into the side of the arm that's choking you and come to dog fight.
When on the offensive use Gable, when you've clasped your hands pinch your elbows, straighten your own same side leg simultaneously to help get the roll, while you're in bear crawl position you can also pull your gable all the way through to the near side, sit through to the far side and pull uke onto their back in a suplex type motion, switch your hips fast and go belly down and snake your hands through for the d'arce.
King of the hill with the loser staying in.
Rounds.

EMOM press ups 10*12 =48% of 25
Gi class with prof. Stefanutti:
Half guard sweeps.
Keys: use your top leg to snake uke's near side leg and straighten it out so they cant use it to base or as a post, reach behind uke with your near hand and get a grip, they'll try and whizzer you hard, post your other hand and, when uke pressures you go under them and hook the far leg sweeping backward to come to their half and/or side control.
You can also keep coming straight up once you have your underhook and knee tap uke's far leg.
EMOM press ups 10*12 =48% of 25.
Bridges and 200 crunches.

Thursday
Regular warm up then one partner guard one in guard and guard player swings between arms setting up Kimura.
Drill Kimura set up.
Drill Kimura hip bump sweep.
Keys: When uke posts both hands fake to submit one arm and swing up to the other looping your top arm over, ensure you use your lat and elbow to pinch uke's arm in, if uke defends by pulling their elbow in hook the wrist of your looping arm and free your other arm to post, bump up hard with your hips and turn uke over in the direction of the trapped arm.
If you wish complete the Kimura use the same side leg to break uke's posture and hang your weight from them.
Situational drilling with various partners, sweep, pass or sub.
Rounds.

Gi class with prof Stefanutti:
Similar sweeps from half as Tuesday.
Situational drilling with various partners, sweep, pass or sub.
Rounds.
Pulls: 35% of max rep set on the minute for 10 minutes, so 10*6.
Push: 48% emom, so 10*12

Friday
Gi class with prof Stefanutti:
Scissor/ Pendulum/ Flower sweeps.
Situational drilling from full guard with various partners, sweep or pass.
Rounds.

Have been spamming the tozi, people HATE it:

Last edited:
I'm only going to have one day in the gym this week as I'm going out of town
The other days I'll do body weight, animal movement and yoga

Tuesday
No gi class with coach Le Gourrierec:
Coaches warm up and no gi guard pull, keys: one collar tie and one sleeve dragging weight down through collar, pull sleeve out and sit to guard on that side, stay sat up and jam your shin into the crook of the elbow of the 'sleeve' arm, make an angle off to the opposite side and switch the shin over the trapped arm, cut the opposite angle to set up the triangle, ensure your feet have tension with toes pointed at the ceiling, get wrist and elbow control of the trapped arm and kimura if necessary, simultaneously bridge and drag the trapped arm across your body, keep cutting angles and pinching your knees, squeeze, pull the head and bridge to complete.
We do rounds from standing.

Gi class with prof. Stefanutti:
We do all of the closed guard sweeps that have been taught over the last month
We do situational training using only closed guard
Rounds
Animal movement

Monthly Masters meet up on Sunday
Got crushed by all the old men with their old men game
17*5min rounds

Last edited:
Tuesday

Coaches warm up followed by standing collar drag, the partner being dragged must focus on good posture.
High crotch to double being aware of the guillotine, keys: get to pummel and collar drag, drive top of head into uke's collarbone, look into their chest and bull neck, flare their the elbow of their outside arm up, keep spine tense, drop levels and shoot forward knee between uke's legs trying to bring your shoulder to their hip, drive your arm up hard with your shoulder into their groin, suck their leg hard into your chest and keep look up and to 'turn the corner', look to get the foot of your forward leg to the outside of their far foot and drive with your rear foot, drive to get uke hopping and complete takedown on their back with s grips and elbows pinched or working out of the guillotine to the opposite side of their controlling arm using the von flue to help you come to side control.
Rounds from standing working take downs.

Stretch and chats with the homies.

Nogi class with professor Stefanutti:
Regular warm up then movement drills: double leg, head outside partners leg switching sides replicating stack pass, continuous bull fighter, cartwheel over open guard to back, headstand and somersault through open guard, switching hips to side control.
Rounds.

Gi class with professor Stefanutti:
Waiter sweep to omoplata sweep to triangle, waiter sweep climbing to double arm bar, dummy sweep coming up to reverse arm bar, pinch uke's knees to sweep.
Keys for omoplata: when uke stands to pass take a sleeve grip, under hook same side leg and pass the sleeve to the under hook hand, hip up and swing outside foot toward uke and backward in a 'counter-intuitive' manner then swing inside leg forward and triangle to trap arm, pump hips up and down, roll onto your side and over to complete sweep and come up, sit on uke's chest and pull them into triangle.
Keys for arm bar: complete sleeve control as above, hook the leg opposite to the sleeve, keep uke's posture broken and re-hook the further leg, swing outside leg over uke's head and snap down pulling hook up to complete sweep and come to classic arm bar position.
Keys for sweep and bar: when uke stands hip up and open guard, grasp uke's feet and point toes down driving hips forward, use an arm to post and help you come up, come up and take collar grip with the other hand which will help you frame if uke tries to counter, place the same side shin across the back of uke's neck and shoulder roll using grips and legs to carry them into position.
Pinch knees sweep: there were to versions, one where you have double sleeve grips and cross uke's arms, the other where you have double sleeve grips and drag forward and down, the basic premise is to open your guard a little when ukee stands and then quickly close it tight again around uke's knees collapsing them inward, you then use the grips to move uke into position.

Situational drilling from open guard: sweep, pass or sub.
Rounds.

Thursday

I'm late for no gi class with coach Le Gourrierec:
We do arm drag to square up and snap down to anaconda/ suplex to come up and d'arce.
Keys: From standing go collar and sleeve with your head in uke's collar bone, keep good posture, walk uke around with the sleeve then drop your collar arm and drive it into the tricep of the sleeve arm, simultaneously drag and step out and through turning uke's arm out and across your chest, use wrist control to brace the arm and come hip to hip, turn and turn spiralling your partner to the mat, if they turn into you square up quickly and snap them down with head and arm.
Get to gable with the head and arm when you've clasped your hands pinch your elbows, straighten your own same side leg simultaneously to help get the roll, while you're in bear crawl position you can also pull your gable all the way through to the near side, sit through to the far side and pull uke onto their back in a suplex type motion, switch your hips fast and go belly down and snake your hands through for the d'arce.
Rounds

Gi classes with prof. Stefanutti:
Self defense-Hip toss and osoto gari an attacker attempting to choke you from the rear.
Counter hip bump sweep counter with triangle.
Rounds.
Worm guard to omoplata sweep.
Rounds.

Last edited:
17 x 5 minute rounds? Crikey.

Yeah bro that's pretty standard for that group session
They're all guys who're well over 30 too so their games are slow and grinding
Really puts an everyday session into perspective

Last edited:
Tuesday
Nogi with coach Le Geurrierec:
Shots and sprawl game to warm up
Tech: Uke shoots and you sprawl into their shoulder, keep your inside arm straight and peel their head away from you, square up again and use your free hand to chin strap, pull their head away walking back in the opposite direction, place your head in the hole under their arm between their lat and their hip, take a grasp of the heel on that side simultaneously pulling both the chin strap and heel and driving forward, release your heel grip and swim under uke's head placing your thumb in the nape of their neck,get darce position and suck your elbows in, squeeze and sprawl or step over uke to finish.
Rounds.

Gi class with coach Stefanutti:
Seoi nage, keys: get an 'inside track' on uke's collar grip and flare their arm out, step in and slam a deep under-hook in with your other arm curling it around uke's upper arm, step in hard driving your opposite shoulder into the shoulder of the trapped arm, no gaps once you've stepped all the way in, ensure both of your feet are between your opponents once you've stepped in, drop your hips into them and pull them across the shoulder of the trapped arm.
3 back take/reversals from closed guard, several partner responses/transitions occurred which , keys for third are:
Key lock one of ukes grips and drive it to the opposite side, sit out and wrap your free arm across their shoulder gaining a grip of that side collar, release your sleeve grip and gain a grip of the closest pants leg, ensure you keep your head tight to uke's, when they attempt to posture pull collar and drive pants until you come to S mount, you should be able to draw on one or two arms to get a lock.
Class split into two with 'upper' and 'lower' weight classes for king of the hill.
Rounds.
Kick and dirty box bag.

Thursday
Nogi class with coach Le Geurrierec:
Shoot and sprawl game, drill snap downs and shots, keys: have your head level to your opponents, take grips on wrists and flare your opponents elbows out and up, drop levels, shoot and drive through them, continuing to drive with your rear leg, if necessary wrap their leg with your rear to complete, ensure you clasp behind their legs beneath their buttocks.
Once in opponents guard dump weight on their torso and posture, from here you can go to knee up the butt positioning your lead leg in combat base.
If your opponent has long limbs you can also stand to pass pinching your knees on their hips and stripping off one leg, sitting back onto the heal of your rear leg with your lead coming to defensive combat base.
King of the hill.
Rounds.

We drill Seoi nage and then another back take from full guard.
Keys: when you've broken grip and redirected the arm and come up to take a collar grip, hip escape a little and place the opposite side butterfly hook in, keep your head on uke's head and drive into them using your non butterfly leg and grips to push and pull uke flat on their chest, their hips will be twisted so their pelvis is pointing up, if they really posture remove both your butterfly hook and head from behind theirs and pull them onto their back.
Rounds.

Friday
We do this simplest version of back-take from closed guard then rounds.
Some of the crew get stripes, coach puts the ones I washed off back on mine.

Last edited:
Monday is a public holiday
20*5 pushups alternate w 20*5 triangle hip ups
40min rolling
Emom pulls 6*10

Tuesday
Thai box bag.
Nogi class with coach Le Geurrierec:
Warm up and shoot and sprawl game, also do pummel to collar and single/ snapdown and sprawl game.
Technique is collar and sleeve, release collar and go for drag, if uke squares up snap down and then switch to dog fight.
Rounds.
Thai box bag.
Feels good to throw hands mang......................

Wednesday
Thai box bag, easy warm up then work off one of the pt's timers doing 1minute on 30sec off.
I do lots of punches working reasonably hard, my cardio is bollox.
Good to give the shoulders a smashing.
Dozens of crunches.
Evening I do dozens of pushups.

Have to do big caloric prep for tomorrow

Thursday
No gi class with coach Le Geurrierec:
Warm up drills then drill low single, keys are: drop levels and clear space, shoot with your head inside lower than opponents knee, hook leg and drive to that side, use other arm to smash hip, come up to combat base controlling the leg.
Rounds.

Gi class with irmão Stefanutti:

Prior to class one of the high level students showed me hhow to negate stiff arms when passing, he advised to jam your forehead into armpit of the the 'top' frame.

Closed guard passing, stand and long step, we do two versions, here's a summary of the combined details: two hands on belt, trap a sleeve using cross grip and then pin under your other hand, step up on opposite side into lunge drawing grip up as you step into squat, keep drawing on sleeve and drive your hips forward, use your free hand to strip that side leg and drive it to the floor pin with that side knee, your other leg will be perpendicular to the mat supporting uke's other leg, push that side elbow under the crook of the knee then drive your arm under and use shoulder pressure to push the leg back, reach across uke with your free hand, take a grasp of the gi and back step your leg out keeping pressure with the other three limbs, switch your under hook hand to the mat and come to side control.

When you come to squat position you can walk forward and stack uke on their shoulders, you can reach around the guard and across for the lapel switching base and using the bread cutter to submit.

We also do Thiago's version of the Sao Paulo pass, he switches his hips and kicks a leg forward when he's walked around, to prevent being reversed over his back hhe keeps a strong collar grip, if he's low he'll get the pants grip, when he switches base he uses his free hand to strip the lower leg on that side and pins it as he window wipes through......

Rounds.

Wrestling class with coach Hibberd:
We do wrestling drills including bridges, commando rolls and shooting, we also do a stutter step which is a short step backward off the rear which sets up a big step moving forward.
We drill pummeling and collar tie with outside grip of tricep, we then drill a double thats suited to mma, here are the kkey points: mirror your partners stance and pull them so they square up, shoot your lead leg between your partners and jam your forehead into their solar plexus, change levels and drive forward keeping your neck bulled and posture taught, dont shoot lower than the hip.....you'll get sprawled on or choked......clasp behind your partners knees and dead-lift them onto one shoulder, use your head to steer them and simultaneously pull their legs dumping them through the mat...keeping control of their legs.

Friday
Gi class with irmão Stefanutti: We do the standing pass to negate closed guard then rounds.
Mr Vela describes methods for passing the 411 or taking the passers back.
I've been on bottom in an unfavorable position before and the method of escape is to get the under-hook on the top side, and stretch uke's sleeve away on the bottom side, weave your head out and behind uke and start to take the back.

Saturday
Gi class with Mr P. Vela: I was late due to catching public transport, never again.
We do a version of method of standing pass as we'd done earlier in the week reaching across for the paper cutter and walking around to finish.
If your opponent is good at blocking the hip lift them higher and step over their far leg maintaining your grips at all times, sit out and pull their hips onto yours simultaneously triangle your legs, keep control and change your triangle hooks to a twister hook, use the hook to drive their leg away, this will force them to turn away and give you their back.
Rounds.

Also had to leave early, not impressed with my performance.

Last edited:
Thursday
Most have the week has passed, last week I took a step forward, this week I've had a setback in terms of time on the mat.
I've been having some awesome hangs with my boy which has brought things into perspective, I have to lead by example in everything I do.
Sharky took nogi this morning as Sean Le Geurrierec is fighting on hex tomorrow.
I dig Sharky as a teacher, he's a little older and he keeps things simple, injecting some humor into the class.
I also have similar injuries to him so it's good to see how he does things.
We did a simple passing from standing drill: get grips on down mans' shins and compress to their chest, one hand to inside knee and one hand to hip, walk knee to floor and scoop down and away, use footwork to circle back and to their rear getting chest pressure on the hips.
Rounds.

We do knee up the butt pass situational drilling and rounds.
I got some good details which I'll have to focus on primarily a strong lower back and pelvic tilt when posturing in closed guard.
We did situational drilling and rounds for the rest of the class, it was arduous.
Drilling stretching

Friday
We did another closed guard pass which incorporated a strong collar grip: lunge/ stand on the same side corkscrewing uke into that side pulling the grip, keep that side elbow on the outside using your free hand to drive uke's other knee to the mat, knee slide through over the trapped leg, pull your collar grip elbow to the inside, aim to get cross face and simultaneously window wipe over uke's down leg, put your collar grip hand to the mat and drive uke's hips away completing the pass.
Rounds.
Old Lion Mr. Peter Florinini took me through some foot sweep and osoto gari concepts.
Gotta pick my balls up and give them a crack in live sparring.
He also reminded me to keep myself healthy.
Short and hard week this week, working a comp on Sunday. YTB

Last edited:
Tuesday

Did some body weight work.
20 crunches-10 push ups*10.
3*10 hammer curl w 15kg DB with 12 push ups in 'rest'.
EMOM pulls so 10*6.
10 'kushti type' pushups and 20 air squats*5.

Light stretch, chat to homie about ish.

Gi class with irmão: We pass the open gaurd, get doublem pants grips then switch to collar and pants, attempt knee cut and be blocked> swap collar grip to same side as down knee> lift down knee and walk to other side> place own same side knee into uke's hip> pull grips, drive knee and jump your other leg out of the guard back-stepping to side control.
If opponent blocks with the knee shield keep your initial grips and walk them across, snap the collar outward as hard as you can and reinsert your elbow between your torso and ukes shield.
You can also walk uke across and turn into them pinning their legs with your shins, get heavy pressure on their hips and window wipe to come to the back.

Rounds, weep because I tap to top control.

Thursday
Double leg: sleeve and collar, push uke away and pull when they respond, drop to both knees, head tight, pinch arms behind hamstrings and tip to side, go one for one.
We then drill variations of Tuesdays passes, rounds upon rounds.
I drill on the bag a little after class and chat to Mr P. Vela.

Saturday
I do some drilling with purps at the sister gym, they take me through some fundamentals and then I roll for one round with one of the homies.

Last edited:
Monday
I do some drilling with one of the homies, he takes me through some fundamentals and then I roll for two easy rounds.

Tuesday

Nogi with Sean Le G: we do a smash pass: ankle control, stuff the butterfly hooks between your legs and sit on your heels, keep your elbows pinched and put a forearm across uke's pelvis hooking the far hip, rock uke side to side keeping tension then smash their legs to the side which resists least, keep chest pressure on the hip and 'wear the bottom of their chin like a hat', under-hook both legs and pass to the back.
Rounds, getting caught by the 'beginners' congrats to them and boo to me.

Class with irmão Thiago: We do foot trip to makikomi to warm up and also do the foot trip sequence to double. Thiago emphasizes that it's important to use the correct foot work and penetration to get uke draped across you. You can then lift and tip them at will.
Then drill a window wiper version of smash passing the half: ensure you have the collar and outside knee grips, if uke blocks your knee cut pass lift the leg you have a grip of and fake cutting to the other side, spin and window wipe your legs across uke's and keep tension against their hip, gain a back of the collar grip and spin to the back, take their back and submit how you wish.

We also do a step out of open guard pass: as per previous gain pants and collar grips, step in and back squaring yourself up to uke as much as possible ensuring your legs are parallel to theirs, kick the leg that is between theirs out and back simultaneously crossing your arms to twist uke and come to side control.

Situational rounds passing and sweeping with open guard.
Rounds focusing on passing and improving top position.

80 sprawls.
Kushti push ups: did 6*20 with shadow wrestling.
Failed pulls 35% of max rep set on the minute for 10 Minutes 10*6, could only manage 7.

Thursday
Nogi with Sean Le G: We do two for two doubles, loose arm control, head position, drop and shoot, sprawl driving outside arm in between your hip and uke's head, stretch yourself hard and redirect shooters head, stay wet blanket.
Simple half guard pass then situational drilling and rounds.

Keys from Sharkie: To pass the knee shield he does a turning motioning looking to drive his hips and shoulders across the legs, he window wipes and comes out behind the legs approaching the pass in stages, feet to knees, knees to hips, hips to torso/ chest.
He's said that he prefers to pass this way than to feel extended reaching for the arm to come to cross face.
He's also said that often higher belts will bait you to cross face whereas (not verbatim but rather used a pass as example>) he's had more success using a modified scarf scissoring legs to base out.

Pulls: 35% of max rep set on the minute for 5 minutes, so 10*6.
Gi class with irmão Thiago:Rugby pass then rounds, I noticed when T comes back behind uke's legs he switches his hips back and forward quickly, I think this will help get the opponent moving to their side.
Situational drilling passing or sweeping from the half.
Rounds.
Kushti push ups: crack 1 fitty.

Friday
Gi class with irmão Thiago was a repeat of Thursday.

Saturday worked another comp.

Last edited:
Sad post is sad:

Haven't trained at all this week and have made the tough decision to cancel my membership with my club.
I've never got any money and I cant afford the 2 hundy a month in fees, I know the quality of training is high but I simply cant afford it.
I cant afford to compete either which just sux when you've worked hard and gotten injured.
There are a places run by volunteers that are far cheaper (5 bucks a class) I feel like I wont make the same progress but I cant give jits up entirely.
To be honest I'm pretty heartbroken as I'm starting to gain the mutual trust of the majority of the mat.
It's kind of fucked because it's the only way I can blow off steam.

My boy is also at an age where he needs his old man (3 years to 80) so I've gotta adjust life in general.
He's actually really hating me at the moment as is his mother which isn't unusual.
I've started to run right out of patience.
My work is a drainer and I've been rejected by several jobs I was sure I had in the bag, Joe Rogan reckons I should pick my chin up and soldier on but what the fuck does he know.

I'm gonna make the most of my last weeks at the gym by being the most dutiful student, best drilling partner and crushingest sparring partner.

Wednesday
Kushti pushups on mma bag.
5 Rounds with two partners, no rest for me.

Thursday
Gi class with Thiago, he shows us the godoi type strangle vs turtle and another arm in choke that I couldn't quite get the knack of. Then we did situational drilling of break and sub turtle and turtle sweeps and re-guards, I used an explosive sit out to escape turtle and used my knee to crack the turtles shell.
Rounds.
Re-guard drill against wall and stretch back.
My back and neck have been super tight over the last week, I've been sleeping terribly waking up at least once an hour, I cant get comfortable and come Friday morning can barely get out of bed.
My ankle and knees are also stiff as hell with swelling in the ankle from arthritis.
I cant straighten up when I walk and am bent like an old man, back into yoga methinks.
I leave the bike at home and miss class Friday morn.........gutted coz there's a couple of brothers I want to mash.

Saturday
Gi class with Peter, we do the clock choke then a crucifix and half nelson if turtle blocks.

I had and unfortunate incident while rolling, I powered out of a choke from bottom and accidentally kneed my partner in the face, it really didnt seem that bad and I tried to joke my way out of it, dude got really emotional and wanted to keep rolling I said ok and he proceeded to throw his knee into me lolol....oh fuck a duck...I told him to stop as the roll was heading in a bad direction... apologized for kneeing him, he was still very emo so I just sat there and told him I'm happy to take the round off, he started to berate me and I just sat and tuned out as I couldn't really understand what he was saying, his lingo and ideas were getting jumbled and he couldnt really get his point across.
A little bummed that a scene was caused and that I upset him to the point where he felt he had to 'get me back', I'm a good partner and don't like that shit to happen, I've had a hard enough time convincing people that I am due to value judgement, life goes on....not a great week...

I did get to have a chat to Peter about departing, he was really supportive and said I'm welcome back anytime...oss

Sunday

I do half an hours yoga with the fam

Last edited:
Monday

In a Months time I'll be down to training only two Jits sessions per week so I want to add some extra conditioning, yoga/ mobility and solo drilling sessions.
Starting this week I'm going to plan.

Solo drills-Just need mat space-one of the boys has a mat hook up-will purchase 9 and set up in garage:
  • 1 round of down ups with push at the bottom-20+Crunch variation-30
  • 1 round of Transitions-1min+Crunch variation-30
  • 1 round of down ups with push at the bottom-20+Slow hip extension against wall-10
  • 1 round of grip-less passing+Invert to crunch pyramid 1-10
Will also be worthwhile getting a heavier KB

Tuesday

Simple yoga session taken from Flavio Almeida.
Chat to young homie, I offer for him to use me as a td dummy, he shows me how to imanari.
It's basically a scissor sweep against a standing opponent that will get you to a leg lock position.
Then no gi with Thiago: We do a basic upa and frame escape to extended full guard, situational drilling then rounds.

Thursday

Gi class with irmão Thiago: We attack turtle by getting to double unders from the back, staying tight and doing headstand/shoulder roll to force uke to roll, you will have the back, needs to be done at speed. Situational drilling then rounds.
Summoned up the courage to let him know I'm leaving, thanks for starting me on the journey, he was supportive and said I'm welcome back anytime.
If I get some coin together I'll do some privates with him and Talgat Ilyashov.
My elbows have been giving me grief so I did hammer curls after class.
1*12@10, 1*[email protected], 2*8@15, 1*[email protected], 1*5@20, 1*[email protected].

Saturday

My shoulder is a bit glitchy so I do some rotator cuff exercises my big homie taught me at uni, then sets of down ups until Gi class with Mr P. Vela, he teaches us to arm bar the turtle: (If left side to uke's right side) Be hip to hip and keep weight on turtle, reach across their back and under the far arm monkey gripping the wrist, turn the hand in and the elbow out, swing your left leg over and ensure your foot reaches all the way through to the far (right) hip, pin uke's head with your right shin, reach your right arm through to kimura uke's arm, pinch your knees and turn onto your right hip rolling uke over onto their back, keep kimura grip and complete arm bar, if they sit up into your guard frame your elbow and shin against their face and roll again until you catch them, you can also shoot your right leg through under their head and figure four your legs to triangle.

Rounds.
Drill on the mma bag.

My plan at the new club is to spam technique from absolute, I intend to go back through my posts and collate the techniques so I have a list to work off.
As Peter has suggested I'll attempt to combine passes, subs and transitions into sequences.

https://thegriphouse.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/mega-smasher-murilo-santanas-guard-passing-breakdown/

Last edited:
Tuesday
Downward dog, cobra, pigeon etc.
Nogi with James Walters, say hooray to Sean he's off to worlds.
We do high mount escape using T frame to single X, sweep, come up etc.
Then we do situational drilling which just turns into rounds.

Downward dog, cat, pigeon.
Gi class with big dog, we do: transition from classic to high mount to arm bar, transition from S mount to back take and back to mount if uke responds, sliding up uke from classic to high mount to cross collar, arm bar, half nelson choke and bow and arrow.
Situational drilling then rounds.
Crunch variations.

Thursday

Gi class with big bro, start with Rounds then do tech: get to leg drag and drive other knee in, get a collar grip from the back and a tricep grip of uke's bottom arm, step over uke's top leg with your non pinning leg, drag yourself up to mount, if necessary push uke's leg down.
Situational drilling from mount and then rounds.
My shoulder is a tad fucked so I replace push or pull with hammer curls:
1*12@10, 1*[email protected], 1*8@15, 1*[email protected], 3*5@20, 1*[email protected]
Couple hundy crunches and neck bridges.

Friday
Gi class with big bro, we do the same simple submissions that we did on Tuesday night, situational drilling from mount and then rounds.

Saturday
Gi class with P Vela, we do the same simple submissions that we did on Tuesday night, situational drilling from mount and then rounds.
I decided that I was just going to defend when fully mounted, I got subbed a lot, there are some ruthless mo fo's whose eyes just light up when you offer to let them mount, my god what a hard morning.
I used the mma bag to drill at the end of class working on my balance and being tight in positions.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Yoga positions.
Big day today, nogi in the morning with James Walters (swolters), we do single to X to sickle sweep.
When in X it is key to keep your top hook flared and as high to the groin as possible, drive uke's far leg away as hard as you can, you can then drop your bottom hook to uke's heel and scissor them backward.

Yoga positions.
Nogi with big dog, we do warm up, single leg take down, two knee on belly escapes which are basic shrimp and bridge forcing uke's foot to half then situational drilling and rounds.
Gi with big dog, we do osoto gari, tech was basic re-guard and invert to re-guard play, situational drilling then rounds.
Tonight I am pooped, I basically offer my back and try to escape, I don't do any other drilling or body-weight sessions after class.
One of the boys is doing his grading and do some dummy drills with him, he's a rough handler and overdoes one of his techniques which tweaks my shoulder hard, sleep is fucked tonight.

Thursday
Wassup to the homies and yoga for 10 minutes.
Nogi class with Swolters, we do single and X then single X sweep to ankle crush, he's particular about the hand position and also encourages to come up when using X hooks as we're still able to dominate the ankle.
The keys are to keep uke's foot pinched tight in your armpit with your over hook, use guillotine type grips pinching your elbows, pull up and stretch looking away to extend the submission.
If you force your foot into uke's hips you'll prevent them from standing.
We then do situational drilling and rounds.
I'm finding some of my white belt homies more desperate and clumsy these days, I just try and keep the rolls moving by putting myself in bad positions then defending and escaping.

Thursday night we do the same re-guard drills as Tuesday.
The technique for the second session is more of an idea than a specific technique, it involves passing without allowing your partner to catch grips using footwork to come to the back or get to leg-drag. My partner didnt get the drill and instead of resetting held grips and re-guarded by kicking me in the mouth....it was great.
Coach keeps us warm by getting us to roll for the majority of the second session.
I had a roll with a Brazilian brownie who uses all the jits available to him including pain, I went after an ankle and he got there first, I tried to be tough where I should've been smart and my ankle got the pop, he got me some ice and I sat a round out strapping it up.
We cool, if it wasn't me it was gonna be him.
More rounds then bike home to carbs.

Saturday
Did some hammer curls:
12@10, [email protected], 10@15, [email protected], 3*5@20, [email protected].
Yoga focusing on lower back, shoulder and hips as per usual.
Gi class with Mr P. Vela, we do a guard retention drill sequence, at the end of the sequence we come to turtle hip to hip with uke, hook the back of their knee with your near side foot and granby over the same shoulder your should be able to square up too them in guard.
Easy rounds with smaller, older and less experienced peeps, I focus on defending and passing using strict technique, it showed me how much I suck.
Stretch and then watch coach give a free deep half demo getting to guard and coming up on the high crotch single then working the over under pass to side.
One of the boys is running not for profit youth jits at our sister gym, I'll have to suss out if I can make it and if management minds, I'm sure they'll be cool.

Last edited:
Monday
Bike to gym and do my usual conditioning session, this week is my last week at absolute so I'll have to get out in the fresh Melbourne air, future sessions will consist of bear crawls, press ups, sprawls and sprints if my legs can manage it.............

Tuesday

Ride in and nogi class with James: we do butterfly to x guard, sweep, situational drilling and rounds.
The keys for the guard entry and sweep are: scoot your hips as close as you can and keep uke tight, elevate uke with your hands on their hips and switch to hands on armpits as they come over you, hip up and insert your x hooks, ensure you flare your knees as much as possible, ensure you under hook uke's near side leg and cup their knee hard jamming your head across their ankle drive hooks away pushing top foot into uke's thigh, sit up on your free elbow and technical stand keeoing control of uke's leg.

Hammer curls and pushups, I watch and listen to Amit offer some free advice to dudes doing deads, Amit helped the Kregg Jones gain swole.
Gi class with Thiago in the evening, we do warm up then situational drilling, compete to enter to single or double, compete to guard pull, compete to pass or sweep with guard player not allowed to close guard, flow rolling with only three second pause allowed after at least three transitions.
Normal rounds.
Thiago makes class announcement wishing me farewell after class, I ask him if I'm allowed to wear the Maromba in comps, he says it would make him really happy but it's up to my new coach, I'm letting that sink in now and want to tangi, good vibrations from all the peeps, you don't know what you've got 'tll it's gone.

Thursday
Bop in early and do some gi drilling with the homie, he's grading in June, he knows every movement now so will ace it, I tell him it's so so...
Nogi with James Swolters, we do single X defense, situational drilling then rounds.
The keys for single X defense are to get as low as possible and turn away slightly, strip the outside hook off and replace it with that side elbow to block re entry attempts, reach down with your free hand and shuck the inside hook between your legs simultaneously stepping forward, if uke blocks your hip with a stiff arm scoop it at the tricep and step over quickly for the arm bar.

Gi class with Thiago in the evening, we do a rolling bow and arrow vs turtle then rounds.
The sub details are: be in dog fight position, take a far side collar grip with your near arm opening the collar, reach in front of uke's shoulder with your far arm and grasp the open collar simultaneously stepping over with your near leg, your heel will block uke's knee, reach down with your free hand and take a grip of the inside of uke's pants at the knee on the same side leg as the collar grip, pull/ fall backward hard and swing what will be your bottom leg over uke's shoulder completing the sub how you see fit.
Rolls were good, I combined passes and looked to express myself as much as possible, it was fun and sad.
Laters to the coaches, thanks for pointing me down the path, Maromba Academia.

Last edited:
Monday nitro.
First jam at the new gym, we put out the mats, the vibe is really chill, Chris 'the wombat' Arnott supervising while Christian 'Mutombo' takes the class, we do a classic warm up including a transition from basic arm bar to omoplata then focused technique which is basic arm bar defense:
Jam uke's hips with your shoulders and drive the knee on the non armbar side underneath them, base out with your free leg keeping constant pressure, yank your arm free and pass.
Then we did a defense if uke has spider web. The escape is the classic push leg into half and come up. Mr Arnott explained to trap your own threatened arm with your free arm by crossing it over and taking a collar grip, this will buy time to start your escape.
We then did some situational stuff and rounds, Mr Arnott walked around offering alternatives to technique we were attempting while rolling.
He's all about minimal effort and good results.
He shows a last ditch escape and a mount transition which I haven't caught the entire gist of, I'll have to be as observant as possible as he does minor things which result and smash.
I rolled pretty well tonight and caught some subs, the level at the club is varied and everyone has a different challenge to offer.
There's a mix of guys from a lot of clubs on the mat, it's pretty rad.
Wednesday night is a repeat of Monday however we add a triangle onto the armbar to omoplata transition. We also did an omoplata escape to come up to high crotch, look to uke's crotch and granby over the shoulder opposite to that being attacked.
Mr Arnott was encouraging us to be less smashy and smarter about our rolling.
I caught a bashing tonight, dude was not fucking around, I kept looking and listening for the timer and there wasn't one, I shook his hand when squad starting packing up the mats around us and I could no longer physically respond, call me mr nail......ever feel like someones trying to teach you a lesson.......

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

Last edited:
Monday
It's been a couple of weeks since I've done anything other than yoga
There's an outdoor park a block from my work so I'm doing calisthenics there before I start for the day
It's the start of winter so mornings are getting a little chilly
5 pulls on the minute for 5 minutes, 1 kip and 4 pulls on the minute for 5 minutes
Fuck around with kips for another 20
Not surprised I get pretty lactic pretty quick, feels good though......mang

I do a couple of yoga sessions and a session of down ups with a pushup at the bottom
Monday I do jits at Clifton Hill
We do a simple deep half sweep and then a self defense maneuver which incorporates the sweep/ coming up on a single and getting to the attackers back/ gift wrap.
We do situational drilling, top man passes and bottom man attempts sweep from deep half.
Coach picks partners for rounds, I get three purps, he advises to focus on general positions.
Each partner gives me tips ie: use shin on bicep as opposed to traditional spider, enter guard to pass and work on angular knee cuts and x pass, use the collar to pull uke up and take away his ability to stretch you.
Wednesday I do a yoga session specifically for spine maintenance.
Sunday I do another yoga session for back and hips.

Last edited:
Sucks about having to leave the BJJ club, but that's grown-up life I guess and BJJ aint cheap. Keep on trucking and hope it goes OK at the new place(s).

Monday night go to Jits at Clifton Hill, my km's on the bike have upped to 14.15*2+9.26*2 (46.82) on the days I train as I go home first to see my wee man.
There's a new bike waiting in the shop for me.
Chats and yo to the bros, traditional run around warm up.
We do and ankle lock from closed guard: Bait uke to stand in your guard back snapping the collar, when uke raises a leg to stand open your guard, take a gable of uke's post and drag it toward you, that side leg will slip into an X hook and your other foot will post on the mat, use your gable to pull and your hooks to stretch, once uke is partially swept swing your posted foot over the leg you are attacking, flex your foot into uke's hip and curl your hamstring pinching both knees together, slide your hips deeper and shift your hips directly under uke's knee, use your no attacking hand to push the side of uke's knee simultaneously aiming to roll onto that side shoulder, look to 'hide' your bottom elbow and look away/go belly down to finish. The grip should be a gable or self collar type grip.
There are a lot of components to this look in comparison to the Ashi Garame however once control is established/ stabilized it is very difficult of not impossible to escape.
Discussion regarding leg locks vs multiple opponents.
Situational drilling, passing standing and passing closed guard.
Rounds.
Do not over extend to get the cross face or you will be arm barred.
Arm drag to Kimura with butterfly grips is effective and can be used to sweep on the same side.

Tuesday
do a yoga session for the spine

Wednesday
do jits, we do warm up then multiple arm bars from top and bottom with partner to get warm.
Then we do three take downs: uke has your collar, break grips with outside to inside downward elbow, simultaneously step forward to the side and behind getting underhook, get gable of uke's waist, lift with straight back and side suplex into side control.
The second option is to break uke's grips and step further past their side, if your breaking off your right side step your right foot to the rear of their right and drag to trip, you should come to side control.
The third option is and arm drag to inside trip, the focus is on placing your tripping knee on the floor first so you 'knee bar' uke into falling, ensure you gain the underhook on the way down or uke will sit out and take your back.
We do passing and guard playing then rounds.
I've had success with the kimura trap, partners pass while I have the hold and I roll them over me to side control....very good.

Thursday night I do a hip mobility session, I've been doing all of these sessions after the fam eat and boy has gone to bed, it's peaceful and a good segue into sleep.

Friday I do an ab session and spine stretch after bike at the calisthenics park before work, it's great in the chill of winter in the early morning.
I do a hip session in the evening.
Boa super 8 is on this weekend, there are a few world famous in jiu jitsu guys competing for the 20k prize, should be a laugh.

Saturday I drink quite quickly and quite a lot, I'm probably one of the drunker people in the room, I cheer louder than anyone and meet famous guys....fortunately I get home before my chariot turns into a pumpkin.

Last edited:
Back