Aqua Bag, questions?

They come deflated (obviously) but its rolled up like a burrito. Its a very thick, hard plastic, so you kinda need to inflate the thing by blowing into it so it can take form.

I just used the "JET" setting on my water hose attachment and used it about 1/3 power and it filled up fast as hell. I would recommend hanging it first, and then filling it after.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

I personally regard Aqua Bags as a kind of marketing scam.

Aqua Bags are just Taylor Made marine buoys with fancy colour schemes on them.

Standard Taylor Made and Polyform marine buoys are pretty much functionally equivalent.

Both are easy to fill using a tapered nozzle adaptor. You may need to use a screwdriver beforehand to open up the valve a bit. And of course you will need to buy your own D-shackle and chain or rope to hang the buoy.

This stuff is not rocket science. I've had a standard Polyform marine buoy in my gym for some time now. It was easy to set up and it's a highly useful and durable piece of equipment.

I didn't pay anywhere near the cost of an Aqua Bag for it.

Every time I hit the one at the gym I hurt my knuckle. I think they have their bag too full of water. Is it possible to overfill one of these and make it too firm? It feels like the water has no room to expand inside the buoy, and the bag is pretty hard.

Every time I hit the one at the gym I hurt my knuckle. I think they have their bag too full of water. Is it possible to overfill one of these and make it too firm? It feels like the water has no room to expand inside the buoy, and the bag is pretty hard.

Yeah it is. The larger ones (12+ inches) you see in boxing training footage with the pros (like Canelo, etc.) hitting it have some slack where it wasn't filled all the way with water OR air, just filled like 4/5 of the way so it expands and sloshes and changes form a little (noticeably) when hit.

The SMALL (7-9 inches diameter) ones can be filled completely inflated with water and maybe some air. That's how GGG likes to hit his. He pushes it away on a very long chain from the ceiling and when it swings back to him he hits it with a full-force right hand for a fantastic collision. He does this over and over

You can find these on youtube. I'm to busy/lazy right now to link them

Yeah it is. The larger ones (12+ inches) you see in boxing training footage with the pros (like Canelo, etc.) hitting it have some slack where it wasn't filled all the way with water OR air, just filled like 4/5 of the way so it expands and sloshes and changes form a little (noticeably) when hit.

The SMALL (7-9 inches diameter) ones can be filled completely inflated with water and maybe some air. That's how GGG likes to hit his. He pushes it away on a very long chain from the ceiling and when it swings back to him he hits it with a full-force right hand for a fantastic collision. He does this over and over

You can find these on youtube. I'm to busy/lazy right now to link them
I've seen the same thing in the videos of the larger ones, you can see the water is *hanging* in the bigger bags, that the bag isn't full. The one at my gym is completely filled, the bag is tight, hands just bounce off it, hard, and it doesn't absorb the impact. Probably why it keeps bruising my knuckle.

I've seen the same thing in the videos of the larger ones, you can see the water is *hanging* in the bigger bags, that the bag isn't full. The one at my gym is completely filled, the bag is tight, hands just bounce off it, hard, and it doesn't absorb the impact. Probably why it keeps bruising my knuckle.

I've sprained my hand on an aquabag also, its not just some cushy marshmallow, you gotta be careful and check your form.

Also yeah I'd show your gym owner some vids of the pros using theirs and recommend letting out some of the water from the bag to match. He'll probably agree if you agree to do the work and adjust the water yourself.

It's only when I throw hard uppercuts on it that it hurts my knuckle, I let it heal, them tried again and hurt it again. I'll see if he'll let me drain a little out of it, the coach himself asked another guy if hitting it hurt his hands, because I think the coach hurt his hands on it too. Yet he let's others keep hitting it, why not think to just drain it a bit.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ended up shelling out for a 21" Aqua bag from Sugar Ray's here in the UK. £160 plus £5 delivery. Just arrived today and certainly looks overpriced for what it is.

Was looking at the Taylor Made and Polyform buoys on Amazon and online, but by the time I'd paid import duties and shipping costs from the States I wasn't saving a significant amount over just buying the aqua bag here.

It's 86kg approx when filled. I'm planning to hang it in the top bedroom where I keep my weights etc. Any advice on the best method/equipment for hanging it. Whether to hang it from a wall bracket or ceiling? Length of screws/bolts needed to cope with the weight etc? Recommendations of where to buy brackets, swivels, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how it is there, but in my area in U.S., hardware store has everything needed to mount a heavy bag. All the chains, brackets, etc have working load weight ratings on the bar code tags, so I know what they can handle.

I would want the hardware to be rated at least 4-5x the base weight of the bag. Maybe less would be ok for an aqua bag since it absorbs more shock/force, but for safety I would go with higher work load rated hardware.

I would ceiling mount if possible, into a ceiling joist, assuming construction is the same there as it is here.

man those aqua bags look amazing but screw that name brand price thats a rip off im sure you could get some half price off amazon somewhere

My friend lives in nyc and was trying to find him a wrestling club and he sent me this we dont know if this is legit or if this is a joke lol
http://www.metrowrestling.org/

the site says metro wrestling is nycs gay friendly freestyle wrestling club for adults and teach at the staten island lgbt center

METRO athletes compete locally and internationally at Gay Games, wtf lol is my friend gonna get molested here?

centery has some good gloves tbh gloves are like shoes your basically paying for that nike logo is it really worth the extra 60 bucks?

are the best i gotta say i mean they make ufcs official glove and ufc refuses to even use the winning pride gloves that they own the rights to

why doy care anyways not like this is your place this is a pretty dead forum anyways anythings better than nothing

they good enuff for dana

man those aqua bags look amazing but screw that name brand price thats a rip off im sure you could get some half price off amazon somewhere

I ended up shelling out for a 21" Aqua bag from Sugar Ray's here in the UK. £160 plus £5 delivery. Just arrived today and certainly looks overpriced for what it is.

Was looking at the Taylor Made and Polyform buoys on Amazon and online, but by the time I'd paid import duties and shipping costs from the States I wasn't saving a significant amount over just buying the aqua bag here.

It's 86kg approx when filled. I'm planning to hang it in the top bedroom where I keep my weights etc. Any advice on the best method/equipment for hanging it. Whether to hang it from a wall bracket or ceiling? Length of screws/bolts needed to cope with the weight etc? Recommendations of where to buy brackets, swivels, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I got the Bytomic Heavy Duty Punch Bag Bracket from made4figthers for my 18inch aqua bag. seems to be holding it up no problem I have attached it using a climbing rope and a climbing clip thing (not sure the technical name).

Also if you not opened it all up and can return it wouldn't you be able to get the Polyform 75" A4 Net Buoys cheaper? www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk or ebay? I know this is not exactly the same but is what I would get if I wanted a bigger one

Thanks in advance.

Question about that I would have thought that the UK would have been covered in Marine Bouys seeing as you're essentially a small island surrounded by water, was it really that hard to find them? :O

Does anyone know if the Polyform A brand would be practical to use as a cheap Aqua Type bag?

Yes I just filled my Polyform A4 up yesterday works perfect

I know the Taylor Made brand do the bags for Aqua, but I heard a rumour that the Polyform buoy was basically the Ringside version of the Aqua bag. I can't get the Taylor Made brand in the UK without paying import and high postage fees from the states, but I can get the Polyform for about £60.

Any feedback?

71c9dLYVy0L._SL1500_.jpg

I have two polyform buoys in the gym and they work perfectly. You'd be a fool to buy a genuine Aquabag in the states.

I have two polyform buoys in the gym and they work perfectly. You'd be a fool to buy a genuine Aquabag in the states.

That's right, and furthermore you'd be a fool to buy one in any Western country, I think.

I set up my own "Aqua Bag" ages ago. All you need is to buy is a marine buoy, a slender or tapered hose fitting, a D-shackle, and a rope or chain. Then fill up the buoy, hang it up, and punch it.

At the time I did it, this all came in at less than AUD100, when a genuine Aqua Bag of equivalent dimensions would have cost something like AUD300 or even more.

Boxing may be a science, but it ain't rocket science guys... Aqua Bags are an obvious marketing scam.

(Of course, if the opportunity cost of going to a marine supplies store and a hardware store is very high for you, the convenience of just ordering a genuine Aqua Bag may be worth it. But most people are not in that situation.)

Hi guys, I've been away from Sherdog for nearly 5 years. Recently re-activated my account.

Thank you for this great thread, especially Cheap Shot and J-Boxing's posts above me. I recently installed my own Polyform A-4 buoy as a water bag because of this thread. The bag cost $99 Australian.

I am absolutely in love with it, the best bag for boxing I've ever owned. The first bag I've ever been truly able to punch 100% speed and power without some sort of problem (excess movement, noise, top too soft bottom too hard etc, all the usual heavy bag problems)

Like any bag, it has some pros and cons but overall for around the $150 mark (including the buoy, spring, big d-ring to fit it etc) it's perfect for power punching at home or in a gym.

A couple of tips for anyone thinking of buying one:

- Make sure you have a heavy duty frame to support it, it's very very heavy relative to its size (one of it's great benefits)
- Hang it first before you fill it! Or be prepared to require 2-3 people to lift it
- Use an air compressor if possible to fill it with air first and stretch it to fulll size (what I did), if you just try and fill it with water the bag is very strong and water pressure alone won't stretch it out, and you'll end up with water going everywhere before it's even 10% full (my bag came collapsed in upon itself like a half moon crescent shape, they are designed for air not water after all)
- Add water a bit at a time in between deflating the bag a bit at a time so the bag keeps its shape as you fill it
- Fill the bag to about 75-80% capacity for best comfort (less if you're not a power puncher). At 80% full with wrinkles visible in the bag (meaning it isn't full of air too) you will get the best training effect IMO
- If you fill it to 100% with any combination of water OR air it will be VERY firm and your punches will rebound off it (not good IMO) GGG uses a small head hunter bag which is full of air/water (no wrinkles) but with a bigger 21 inch 190lb size bag I don't think its a good idea (I have seen Canelo hitting a bag like mine as well as fully inflated too though)
- Air the bag out for a few days initially, my buoy had a fairly strong chemical smell for a few days after unwrapping it

I'll try and post some pics in the coming days if people are interested.

Last edited:
I've got a polyform A2 that I feel I over filled, it's a little hard for my liking. Anyone know how to remove a little water out of these things? I already tried opening the valve and putting pressure on it, but nothing came out. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Back