ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Going to see this today.
Sounds like it's an inferior ripoff of Stalker but unlike the George Solaris it's actually work seeing.
It's definitely inspired by Tarkovsky in many ways, but I didn't find it derivative.

I thought it was excellent. I'd like to go see it again though. I forgot my glasses and missed on some of the key visual details eg the moving fingerprints, the action of the water. I felt it was a challenging movie, but not overly abstract. I'm still trying to piece it together.

Oh, that fuckin bear was one of the more well thought out monsters I've seen in film.

I don't think it was, despite the nod to the "visual acuity" gimmick from JURASSIC PARK. I hover somewhere between the notion that in a real bear attack one does nothing to provoke the bear, and maybe it'll get bored and leave you alone; and the sci-fi conceit that emotions and mentalities are also being refracted and dispersed alongside genetic mutation/recombination. Reduction of fear emitters, or someshit.

I was also thinking on the time matter that if everything was affected by the shimmer then it would seem plausible that time within the shimmer was different. I mean astronauts in space that come back down have a different time on their synchronized watches here on earth. this topic should not be a bother to anyone IMO. It doesnt even really affect the story but add to its mystery

I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being one of those movies where if you DID like it then you get accused of being a nerdy cinema snob. Not the other way around.

Well we will test this theory out tonight because I am definitely not a nerdy cinema snob

It was visually stunning, and excellent sound. It really is a movie, intended for the theater experience. And while I did enjoy the film, I didn't love it. Good sci fi, I can watch again and again, but this just didn't do it for me. 7/10

Great acting, interesting story, Natalie Portman sex scene..kind of. The bear scene was really great, the last few minutes were phenomenal as well IMO. Felt kind of like an acid trip, i'd assume. Most of all, it felt fresh.

It is kind of a slow burn, and it jumps around a lot, but it was coherent enough to understand what was going on. I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to see this tonight. I started reading the book two days ago and I'm about to finish it right before I watch the movie. The book has given me the weirdest dreams. I'm really looking forward to this.

Sounds like it's an inferior ripoff of Stalker but unlike the George Solaris it's actually work seeing.
yeah, i think it's very easy to compare this movie to Stalker, but i actually enjoyed this movie more.

i also think the Clooney Solaris is really underrated.

yeah, i think it's very easy to compare this movie to Stalker, but i actually enjoyed this movie more.

Yeah Solaris is good

I been trying to get Shadow to watch it for a while now

I'm going to see this tonight. I started reading the book two days ago and I'm about to finish it right before I watch the movie. The book has given me the weirdest dreams. I'm really looking forward to this.

Just finished the movie, it was pretty damn good. Very different from the book, which I didn't mind especially when I read that the writer of the movie didn't read anything else in the series and just adapted the 1st book(which clearly isn't the end of the story) so this as a stand alone story is really good. Only thing I didn't like is I felt the psychologist was miscast. She quickly lost her cool and didn't seem like a leader. Plus that actress usually plays crackheads

I saw Clooney Solaris eons ago and can hardly remember it. My problem with it is more the same problem I have with Van Zant's remake of Psycho. Not as bad considering it wasn't a shot by shot remake but kind of worse in a way because reshooting Hitchcock is pointless; filming something Tarkovaky already did angers the cinema gods.

Anyhoo Annihilation was fucking awesome. I will own this on Blu Ray when it comes out.

Our favorite reviewers talking about a criminally underrated movie.

I saw Clooney Solaris eons ago and can hardly remember it. My problem with it is more the same problem I have with Van Zant's remake of Psycho. Not as bad considering it wasn't a shot by shot remake but kind of worse in a way because reshooting Hitchcock is pointless; filming something Tarkovaky already did angers the cinema gods.

Anyhoo Annihilation was fucking awesome. I will own this on Blu Ray when it comes out.

I'm buying it too. Crazy movie. Had me thinking about it for days

Saw it. It was terrible. Started out okay. Then it just turned too fucking weird.

Id like to annihilate jane foster

Back