MMA Glove Sizing

Lukers

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey Gang,
I have a few questions regarding sizing for MMA-style gloves - when wearing wraps do you go one size up?
How often do you wear wraps under your gloves?

I've recently bought a pair of Title Elite Competition gloves, and after measuring my hand for fit I figured I'd go one size up (Large) since I planned on wearing wraps. I've noticed there's quite a bit of room left over width-wise on the pinky side of my palm. Would you recommend staying true to my hand's actual size and exchange for a Medium? When wraps are on the gloves definitely feel tighter, but it feels like I don't have as much motion with my pinkie. Perhaps I need to break in the gloves?
I've included reference pictures of how my hand fits in them.
Thanks for the help, I'm quite new to the sport!

Attachments

• IMG_7337.JPG
    IMG_7337.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7338.JPG
    IMG_7338.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 14
Hey Gang,
I have a few questions regarding sizing for MMA-style gloves - when wearing wraps do you go one size up?
How often do you wear wraps under your gloves?

I've recently bought a pair of Title Elite Competition gloves, and after measuring my hand for fit I figured I'd go one size up (Large) since I planned on wearing wraps. I've noticed there's quite a bit of room left over width-wise on the pinky side of my palm. Would you recommend staying true to my hand's actual size and exchange for a Medium? When wraps are on the gloves definitely feel tighter, but it feels like I don't have as much motion with my pinkie. Perhaps I need to break in the gloves?
I've included reference pictures of how my hand fits in them.
Thanks for the help, I'm quite new to the sport!

I'm usually a medium w/o wraps and a large with. What will you be using the gloves for?

i learnt when i fight to always go up a size i almost ripped a pair of gloves once trying to get them on my hands after i had hand wraps

I'm usually a medium w/o wraps and a large with. What will you be using the gloves for?
Right now mainly for hitting the bag (not as hard as with boxing gloves), working on proper punching technique, and getting used to the feel of MMA gloves.

Right now mainly for hitting the bag (not as hard as with boxing gloves), working on proper punching technique, and getting used to the feel of MMA gloves.

id not hit bags with good mma gloves if u have a cheap pair id use them i never hit bags with good gloves to save the padding and wear n tear

If your hitting the bag for an extended period of time, I would not recommend those MMA fight gloves. Double end bag and paddle or mitt work might be alright.

If your hitting the bag for an extended period of time, I would not recommend those MMA fight gloves. Double end bag and paddle or mitt work might be alright.

yeah idk why guys want to use mma gloves for bag work its not good iv known guys to break there hands mess up knuckles wrist injuries ect

yeah idk why guys want to use mma gloves for bag work its not good iv known guys to break there hands mess up knuckles wrist injuries ect

Well the guy said he was a beginner, so your prob right.

Before MMA was around I used to do traditional martial arts tae kwon do, judo, keyoshin karate aside from sparring pad work n such was all done bare hand.

To strengthen the hand we did knuckle push ups as well as finger tip push ups. Also punching and gripping/ digging sand bucket works as well.

Look into makiwara training as well. More boxers should do traditional martial arts hand training. It does work. But takes time. Like Thai shin conditioning except for the hands.

{<diva} roll your eyes if you want sherbro's.

yeah kyokushin guys i know use to do knuckle pushups on concrete or wood floors but thats diff from being a beginner and hitting bags with poor technique and little ole mma gloves the wrist and hand isnt use to hitting for one and even if they are shown basics they still arnt skilled enough to hit properly with those gloves.

its just not good i dont even hit bags with mma gloves maybe if its a soft thai bag digging hooks into bags will fuck your hand up if you have any type of power

tbh alot of thais methods arnt very good notice how they are retired in early 20s they all have nerve damage by hitting shins with sticks ect that does much more bad than good to get shins conditioned kick bags and slowly build up to kicking harder bags

Can mess up your knuckles wearing cheap 16oz gloves, incorrect wrapping plenty of ways. I feel wearing a 4oz MMA glove you'd probably accelerate the risk of knuckle injury and this might be the smartest thing you've ever said on the forum.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely won't be hitting the heavy bag with MMA gloves (I use 16oz boxing gloves for that), I thought they might be good for accuracy when using a speed (tennis) ball for some added padding.

yeah kyokushin guys i know use to do knuckle pushups on concrete or wood floors but thats diff from being a beginner and hitting bags with poor technique and little ole mma gloves the wrist and hand isnt use to hitting for one and even if they are shown basics they still arnt skilled enough to hit properly with those gloves.

its just not good i dont even hit bags with mma gloves maybe if its a soft thai bag digging hooks into bags will fuck your hand up if you have any type of power

tbh alot of thais methods arnt very good notice how they are retired in early 20s they all have nerve damage by hitting shins with sticks ect that does much more bad than good to get shins conditioned kick bags and slowly build up to kicking harder bags

Yeah that's how you condition shins you build them up. You don't go straight to kicking trees. I started just kicking a heavy bag and pad work. Then tires then a sand bag. Never tried breaking bats or anything like that. Fractured a guys in arm in sparring with shin guards on years ago.

l@nd0 .

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely won't be hitting the heavy bag with MMA gloves (I use 16oz boxing gloves for that), I thought they might be good for accuracy when using a speed (tennis) ball for some added padding.

They would be fine for double end bags or a tennis ball as you said. But you could do that bare handed or with just wraps, really.

<Fedor23> .

Back