Popular Gear Trends In Your Area

smittywerben_box

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Was wondering what is the gear trend in the area you guys live in. I love gear and fighting so to me its interesting to see what is popular in different areas of the world.

For example I am in Los Angeles and for a while many people were using Fighting Sports gloves. After a year or 6 months or so, everyone moved to power locks (synthetics and leather). About a year in after, I've noticed people getting more Rival RS1's and Rival Low Tops. Been seeing some Fairfax as well as Sabas.

I've also been seeing lots of Top King shin guards as well.

Lots of Rival stuff in Montreal. Of course having the HQ/store here helps a lot lol

Lots of Rival stuff in Montreal. Of course having the HQ/store here helps a lot lol

Where is it?? I have a friend that might be going through Montreal if he isn't there right now... Might have to send him to a detour that isn't the Bell Centre lol

Was wondering what is the gear trend in the area you guys live in. I love gear and fighting so to me its interesting to see what is popular in different areas of the world.

For example I am in Los Angeles and for a while many people were using Fighting Sports gloves. After a year or 6 months or so, everyone moved to power locks (synthetics and leather). About a year in after, I've noticed people getting more Rival RS1's and Rival Low Tops. Been seeing some Fairfax as well as Sabas.

I've also been seeing lots of Top King shin guards as well.

san fran use to have a fairtex muay thai gym so im sure that area has alot of fairtex

Where is it?? I have a friend that might be going through Montreal if he isn't there right now... Might have to send him to a detour that isn't the Bell Centre lol

It's at 9810 Saint-Urbain Street, Montreal, QC.

It's pretty far from the Bell Center. Your friend will have to take a cab to go there.

The UK are mainly RDX, Everlast and Lonsdale for anyone who aren't a gear addict, regardless of level. You would see coaches, armature fighters, new comers use these.

The younger guys usually stick with Hayabusa or Venum or RDX.

The pure muaythai guys are mostly with thai brand: Twins and Top Kings mostly. Shinguards all Top Kings.

Then you will only find winnings and other elite brands within the pure boxing gym with high and serious level of boxers.

That have been my experience.

Of course you also get gear whore like me and some with everything, at any type of gym at any level. (Extreme minority though)

It's at 9810 Saint-Urbain Street, Montreal, QC.

It's pretty far from the Bell Center. Your friend will have to take a cab to go there.

Argh bugger. How far from downtown is it? I might send it to him anyways to see if he can detour there. He usually hires a car for a day or 2 during his returns home

Argh bugger. How far from downtown is it? I might send it to him anyways to see if he can detour there. He usually hires a car for a day or 2 during his returns home

Takes approx 20 min from downtown.
It's not far in km....it's the damn traffic and detours.

Takes approx 20 min from downtown.
It's not far in km....it's the damn traffic and detours.

That's not too bad. ALMOST walking distance. Man I miss Montreal, I gotta go back sometime. It's been like a decade

Egypt
The non picky use Adidas
the older boxers with Amateur experience use green hill
the younger ones use Venum or Everlasts and I've seen some Lonsdales

My gym
Entry level guys all seem to use "Sting" Brand which is an Australian brand that was the 2016 Olympic glove brand. The majority of their sports store gear is shit. This is both boxers and Muay Thai

Medium level fighters
Muay Thai - Twins easily wins out as the most common brand of glove
Boxing - Twins also wins out because the majority of fighters who don't care about gear just buy what everyone else has.

Elite level
Muay Thai - Fairtex & Twins are the common choice with Top King as the shinguards
Boxing - Cleto Reyes, Fairtex, Winning and now Topboxer are all vying for the top spot, the current Australian heavyweight champ is using Topboxer gloves that I bought him, the current QLD Champ uses Fairtex.

My gym doesn't have many guys who really look into their gear, the top guys are starting to come to me to research gear for them as they're starting get more frequent injuries as their careers and age continue to roll on and they know I enjoy learning about and researching gear.

My gym
Entry level guys all seem to use "Sting" Brand which is an Australian brand that was the 2016 Olympic glove brand. The majority of their sports store gear is shit. This is both boxers and Muay Thai

Medium level fighters
Muay Thai - Twins easily wins out as the most common brand of glove
Boxing - Twins also wins out because the majority of fighters who don't care about gear just buy what everyone else has.

Elite level
Muay Thai - Fairtex & Twins are the common choice with Top King as the shinguards
Boxing - Cleto Reyes, Fairtex, Winning and now Topboxer are all vying for the top spot, the current Australian heavyweight champ is using Topboxer gloves that I bought him, the current QLD Champ uses Fairtex.

My gym doesn't have many guys who really look into their gear, the top guys are starting to come to me to research gear for them as they're starting get more frequent injuries as their careers and age continue to roll on and they know I enjoy learning about and researching gear.

I've noticed that there are some boxers here in the American Olympic Training Center that use Sting products. Usually I've noticed people call them shit products and yet we have olympic hopefuls using Sting.

A lot of people don't look into gear so much. I do agree that knowledge on gear does make the athlete happy. It makes me think about one fighter at my old gym I used to train at. He was a young amateur and he literally had shitty Everlast bottom of the barrel gloves and he poked holes into the cuff and made them into lace ups with the longest laces he could find since the velcro wasn't sticking. To be fair it was in the middle of the ghetto but once he got some decent gloves he was very happy.

I've noticed that there are some boxers here in the American Olympic Training Center that use Sting products. Usually I've noticed people call them shit products and yet we have olympic hopefuls using Sting.

A lot of people don't look into gear so much. I do agree that knowledge on gear does make the athlete happy. It makes me think about one fighter at my old gym I used to train at. He was a young amateur and he literally had shitty Everlast bottom of the barrel gloves and he poked holes into the cuff and made them into lace ups with the longest laces he could find since the velcro wasn't sticking. To be fair it was in the middle of the ghetto but once he got some decent gloves he was very happy.

Sting are department store gloves. I've never tried their "high end" stuff and honestly I don't want to, I've got some 10oz sting gloves that have the fluffiest padding in the world and feel like 20oz gloves size wise.

Do you use Rival loves? I just made a thread about them. What ones do you use?

The muay thai gym I train at in Toronto is filled with rival.

Do you use Rival loves? I just made a thread about them. What ones do you use?

The muay thai gym I train at in Toronto is filled with rival.

Use to havethe RS1 (fantastic sparring glove but lack wrist support), RB1 (great bag gloves but thumbs were a bit on the short side) and RB10 (loved them but found the d3o was gimmicky).

The only Rival stuff I own right now are 2 heavy bags which I f...ing love.

In Spain the best you'll see are Charlie or cheap Everlasts. Most people have something even worse without a brand name as such. The best for value and availability over here are Thai brands so that's what I use.

It's annoying because when you spar sb in your decent gloves, in my case sparring specific ones, they're being protected much better than you. If they wanna spar in crap gloves I'll keep my BGV9s on to even the score sometimes :/

In Spain the best you'll see are Charlie or cheap Everlasts. Most people have something even worse without a brand name as such. The best for value and availability over here are Thai brands so that's what I use.

It's annoying because when you spar sb in your decent gloves, in my case sparring specific ones, they're being protected much better than you. If they wanna spar in crap gloves I'll keep my BGV9s on to even the score sometimes :/

I wear different gloves for different people
Guy I respect who spars properly - Fairtex BGV-6
Guy who spars like its a fight against Mike Tyson - BGV-9

Back