The Russian Propaganda Campaign

They are all propaganda channels lol. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, whatever, they are all propaganda channels.

To a certain extent, all are. Can't disagree there.
RT seems to come out with much more fake shit than the channels you listed, and i don't recall ever seeing something from RT where it apologizes for just making shit up. At least the channels you listed sometimes back track and correct their BS.

Like I said, I got a longer reply coming, but just for the sake of this public discussion, let me ask you: Where do you get your news?

If your attitude is that "they are all propaganda channels," then how do you stay informed? You can't be in all places at all times, so how do keep aware of what's going on in the world?

I stopped watching the cable news outlets years ago. You simply cannot trust them and its multiple reasons why you can't trust them. This last election should have been a great indication of how little you can trust these people. Here is just one example of piles and piles of examples of why you cannot trust them man.

In a late-night post on Twitter, WikiLeaks revealed that a (New York) Times reporter used to feed State Department email updates of the stories the paper would be publishing days before the stories appeared. At the time, Hillary Clinton was the Secretary of State. The heads-up email was intended to give State and Clinton time to come up with some spin for stories that may have caused problems.

You are dealing with professional liars.

I stopped watching the cable news outlets years ago. You simply cannot trust them and its multiple reasons why you can't trust them. This last election should have been a great indication of how little you can trust these people. Here is just one example of piles and piles of examples of why you cannot trust them man.

In a late-night post on Twitter, WikiLeaks revealed that a (New York) Times reporter used to feed State Department email updates of the stories the paper would be publishing days before the stories appeared. At the time, Hillary Clinton was the Secretary of State. The heads-up email was intended to give State and Clinton time to come up with some spin for stories that may have caused problems.

So that doesn't answer my question though, where do you get your news? Again, you have to get it from somewhere.

And wherever that is, why do you trust them?

So that doesn't answer my question though, where do you get your news? Again, you have to get it from somewhere.

And wherever that is, why do you trust them?

No I don't generally look to get news. If a major event happens like a shooting or some national news then I might see what is said but for the most part I don't want those assholes in my head. I've told you before, they are so good at it you wouldn't even know you were being manipulated. Even tiny shit that doesn't matter they will manipulate you with.

Here is a funny one of a "reporter" trying to convince you the weather is way worse than it is, its ridiculous and their offenses get way more egregious than this one.

RT seems to come out with much more fake shit than the channels you listed, and i don't recall ever seeing something from RT where it apologizes for just making shit up.

Yeah, I don't think they really do that. I was reading one story about some military action where, if I remember correctly, they said Ukranian forces had killed 1500 to 2000 people (this was in an effort to make Ukraine look particularly vicious). In reality, the figure was 163.

They never issued a retraction. In fact, they used the same false stats again later in another story.

Propaganda channel who tricked a few legit journalists into working for them. I like Thom Hartman, but how they tricked him, I don't know. How did he not see shit like Abby Martin and realize what was up?

Information should never be consumed without consideration of the source.

Especially in the age of "BREAKING:" and "____ leaks...". It's literally NEVER been easier to misinform people. Laziness has deformed the consumption of information into nothing beyond an act of convenience. We're now at the point of dismissing reality when it no longer conforms to what we feel we know, simply because it's easier.

Reputations of credibility long-abused have been a casualty, thankfully. But what's stepped up in it's place is nothing more than a hole devoid of legitimacy called the internet. And that is scary as fuck.

Last edited:

Especially in the age of "BREAKING:" and "____ leaks...". It's literally NEVER been easier to misinform people. Laziness has deformed the consumption of information into nothing beyond an act of convenience. We're now at the point of dismissing reality when it no longer conforms to what we feel we know, simply because it's easier.

Reputations of credibility long-abused have been a casualty, thankfully. But what's stepped up in it's place is nothing more than a void of legitimacy called the internet. And that is scary as fuck.

Yep, its pretty much a self created fantasy by the likes of CNN or the BBC that they represent some kind of "correct journalism" when in reality biases are very clearly present.

The main thing to consider really is that often as not its not outright lies so much as bias of focus, whats being reported, whats being ignored. Can't say I'v watched a ton of Russia Today but it tended to fall into that category for me, basically covering stories friendly to a Russian point of view more often.

Last edited:
No I don't generally look to get news. If a major event happens like a shooting or some national news then I might see what is said but for the most part I don't want those assholes in my head. I've told you before, they are so good at it you wouldn't even know you were being manipulated. Even tiny shit that doesn't matter they will manipulate you with.

Here is a funny one of a "reporter" trying to convince you the weather is way worse than it is, its ridiculous and their offenses get way more egregious than this one.

Propaganda channel who tricked a few legit journalists into working for them.

I was quite surprised to that Larry King had two shows on RT. Apparently he produces the show himself and they just air it, so they don't have any editorial control, but I'm surprised that he was even willing to be affiliated with the network. I mean, he's Larry fucking King.

Here's an interesting article:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/how-the-truth-is-made-at-russia-today

It seems that their usual tactic is to lure in young journalists who are eager for a job doing something that's not their local news, and then after these inexperienced journalists get into the job they realize it's not what they thought it would be.

Reputations of credibility long-abused have been a casualty, thankfully. But what's stepped up in it's place is nothing more than a void of legitimacy called the internet. And that is scary as fuck.

One of the big things now a days, when most individual news sources are preaching to a choir who are members of the "team" is, "We've learned from an anonymous source..." and then they throw some meat out there that their viewers want to believe, something that advances their teams narrative. Anybody can say they have a source, but major news platforms are given some credibility and leeway when it comes to having sources in the know.

There was a war roomer who was trying to coin and popularize a term awhile back, I can't remember the blokes handle, that I thought was a great term and I use from time to time, narrative propaganda. Narrative propaganda is different from fake news, it's not necessarily false. It's covering the news in a way that shapes a narrative and picking up stories that fit the narrative while ignoring realities that don't fit the narrative, always spinning the issues to fit the narrative, and wielding that narrative as a political weapon. It is a good way, I think, of describing our current news media. They are narrative propagandists, who generate billions of dollars a year for their narrative propaganda.

The main thing to consider really is that often as not its not outright lies so much as bias of focus, whats being reported, whats not being ignored. Can't say I'v watched a ton of Russia Today but it tended to fall into that category for me, basically covering stories friendly to a Russian point of view more often.

The "Responses" section of RT's Wikipedia page is fascinating reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)#Responses

Some of the criticism I've read elsewhere also has said that RT has been caught red-handed literally just making shit up on numerous occasions, especially in regard to Russia's military action in Ukraine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very obvious propaganda.

I tend to think less of people who repost their stuff.

It's like the BBC, being a state funded broadcaster, except the BBC is full of quite left wing presenters, anchors and journalists and they are given leeway to form their own narrative. Objectivity is allowed and criticism of the government is encouraged.

At Russia Today there is none of that leeway. It is pro government and advances their propaganda mercilessly.

The "Responses" section of RT's Wikipedia page is fascinating reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)#Responses

Some of the criticism I've read elsewhere also has said that RT has been caught red-handed literally just making shit up, especially in regard to Russia's military action in Ukraine.

Again I'v not watched it enough or research enough to know if they themselves engage in invention or its more a bias of sources. I mean the Russian state openly claims a lack of involvement in Ukraine doesn't it? so Russia Today repeating that over claims of involvement(which honestly are pretty clear) is more a bias of source than total invention.

That's why I think viewing a wider range of sources is the best bet for news.

One of the big things now a days, when most individual news sources are preaching to a choir who are members of the "team" is, "We've learned from an anonymous source..." and then they throw some meat out there that their viewers want to believe, something that advances their teams narrative. Anybody can say they have a source, but major news platforms are given some credibility and leeway when it comes to having sources in the know.

There was a war roomer who was trying to coin and popularize a term awhile back, I can't remember the blokes handle, that I thought was a great term and I use from time to time, narrative propaganda. Narrative propaganda is different from fake news, it's not necessarily false. It's covering the news in a way that shapes a narrative and picking up stories that fit the narrative while ignoring realities that don't fit the narrative, always spinning the issues to fit the narrative, and wielding that narrative as a political weapon. It is a good way, I think, of describing our current news media. They are narrative propagandists, who generate billions of dollars a year for their narrative propaganda.

The reason why that term failed is that his 'narrative propaganda' is just propaganda. Narrative is a useless addition making things more vagueness and complicated at the same time.

It is very obvious propaganda.

I tend to think less of people who repost their stuff.

It's like the BBC, being a state funded broadcaster, except the BBC is full of quite left wing presenters, anchors and journalists and they are given leeway to form their own narrative. Objectivity is allowed and criticism of the government is encouraged.

At Russia Today there is none of that leeway. It is pro government and advances their propaganda mercilessly.

The BBC isn't really "left wing" though anymore than a paper like the Guardian(who backed the Lib Dems at the last 2 elections) is. Its socially liberial definitely, probably moreso than the UK as a whole is but if your talking economics or foreign policy I think its very much for the more right wing internationalist status quo, just look for example at the hostility towards Corbyn or indeed how readily they latch onto negative coverage of Russia, Venezula, etc and how little they do with Saudi Arabia or China.

I'd trust them more than I would Russia today but I certainly wouldn't trust them as my only news source as many do.

Part of the purpose that propaganda news organisations fulfil is to make people believe there is no news they can trust.

They influence some people, others they can take out of the game by making them throw up their hands in frustration.

The only way to win is to be discerning enough to validate the veracity of any organisations claims rather than to pick sources and believe or disbelieve them wholesale.

The BBC isn't really "left wing" though anymore than a paper like the Guardian(who backed the Lib Dems at the last 2 elections) is. Its socially liberial definitely, probably moreso than the UK as a whole is but if your talking economics or foreign policy I think its very much for the more right wing internationalist status quo, just look for example at the hostility towards Corbyn or indeed how readily they latch onto negative coverage of Russia, Venezula, etc and how little they do with Saudi Arabia or China.

I'd trust them more than I would Russia today but I certainly wouldn't trust them as my only news source as many do.

Oh God, no I don't trust them. It's state media, but it is state media that I understand very well. The left wing elements are not common to the main channels, radio 4 is their bastion.

Back