2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Band: Taproot
Song: Poem
Release Year: 2002
Why: They didn't get the recognition they deserved because the whole alt-metal/rock and somewhat nu-metal scene was jam packed in the early 2000s, but I always had a special affection for these guys. I saw them a few times over the years and they always closed with this song.

Artist: Phil Collins
Song: You Can't Hurry Love (The Supremes Cover)
Release Year: 1982
Why: I caught Phil on his tiny tour where he exclusively covered Motown songs, and even though the songs were great and his versions of them excellent, it just felt a little hollow seeing Phil Collins in concert not singing a single one of his own songs. That said, it was still a very enjoyable concert, and at least he played this during the encore so we were familiar with his rendition of it ahead of the show. Now that he's back, it's just a matter of time until I'm able to catch him live doing his own music. And then, Genesis!

Band: Gojira
Song: L'Enfant Sauvage
Release Year: 2012
Why: One of the times I saw the band Mastodon on tour, I didn't even know that Gojira was co-headlining the tour with them. I had been a fan of sorts before then, but seeing them live really turned me on to them. This song will not be for everyone, but I guess that could go for the other sixty three songs put up so far as well.

Band: Dream Theater
Song: A Change of Seasons
Release Year: 1995
Why: Yes, if you clicked on the youtube link and couldn't believe your eyes, this is a 25 minute track. It's actually one half of an EP the band released between major albums, and "A Change of Seasons" is split up into seven parts. It's funny, this EP was actually longer than their earlier albums, but that's how they roll I guess. I have seen this band over ten times, and I have seen this performed in its entirety, and it was beautiful.

Band: Deadsy
Song: The Key to Gramercy Park
Release Year: 2002
Why: This is where it all began. The first concert I ever planned out and attended of my own volition was Deadsy, playing with Mindless Self Indulgence. We met the band after, got a bunch of pictures and signatures, and I couldn't have been prouder. Ah, Deadsy, I've missed you. I used to listen to this band religiously, and there are rumblings that they will return this year. I'll keep my inner child's fingers crossed.

Band: Kraftwerk
Song: Tour de France
Release Year: 1983
Why: Kraftwerk doesn't seem to get nearly the credit or love they deserve for being pioneers of the electronic and techno music worlds. They were making mechanical clicks and beats with odd samples years before anyone even thought that would be a good idea, and listen to music these days - it's all done with computers. These guys were building instruments and developing technology way ahead of their time, and for that, I thank them. You would be positively shocked at all the bands and artists that were influenced by Kraftwerk. So, stay a while and listen.

Artist: Notorious B.I.G.
Song: Juicy
Release Year: 1994
Why: Biggie was shot 21 years ago to the day, in a murder that to this day still remains unsolved. Admittedly, I was not a rap fan for most of my life, but a few years ago I started learning about the guys behind the music (like that the Wu Tang Clan are huge kung fu movie fans, and Rza even made one of his own called The Man with the Iron Fists) and opened my eyes. I thought what better to remember his passing than a track where he chronicled his own life, rising from nothing to become the powerhouse he was for a very short while.

Band: Iron Maiden
Song: Can I Play With Madness
Release Year: 1988
Why: A great song from an equally great album. Sometimes that's all we need to hear.

Band: Curtis Stigers & The Forest Rangers
Song: John the Revelator
Release Year: 2008
Why: This song has been around for almost 90 years now, and so many different artists and bands have taken a crack at it over the years. This particular version was performed and placed at the end of Season 1 of the TV show Sons of Anarchy, and it wraps up the season so perfectly that it was the only song that made sense today. A character of the show named John wrote a book that the main character was going to follow going forward to lead people in a new direction. That's about as fitting as it gets.

Band: Failure
Song: Stuck on You
Release Year: 1997
Why: This song and its accompanying video make me miss music videos so much. They used to be so creative, but now you have to search for good ones these days. It's not just any music video. It's Failure's version of The Spy Who Loved Me's intro video. Considering that's one of my favorite James Bond movies, it's no denying that when I first saw this video, I thought "hey, I've seen something like this before!" Great song by a sorely underrated band of the 90s that came back again and released a good album a couple years ago, and I hope keep making more music.

Artist: Neil Young
Song: The Needle and the Damage Done
Release Year: 1972
Why: The New York Times released a predictive needle indicator during the 2016 Presidential election, saying who they expected to win, and it went all over the map that night. They brought it back for a special election last year much to the chagrin of most pundits and pols. Tonight for another special election in Pennsylvania, it came back, but was pulled shortly after its launch. This is for the pols on both sides.

Band: Dixie Dregs
Song: Cruise Control
Release Year: 1981
Why: Going to see this band live in the near future, so I thought what better time than the present to feature them as the song of the day?

Artist: Miles Davis
Song: All Blues
Release Year: 1959
Why: It's just pure musical bliss.

Band: Pat Travers Band
Song: Crash and Burn
Release Year: 1980
Why: Thought I posted this yesterday, I listened to it the day before and it stuck out. I'll update this again later today.

Band: Run DMC
Song: Tougher Than Leather
Year: 1988
Why: The UFC event in London that just ended featured not one but TWO fights that ended at the last possible second. Previously, no fight to go three rounds had ever ended at the last second, and this happened twice today. So, the first two words of this song are how we in the MMA community feel about these surprising results.

Band: Blur
Song: Parklife
Year: 1994
Why: If you've ever wondered what the genre "Britpop" sounded like, this is it. This is everything about that genre boiled down and condensed into a three and a half minute song. The music video is a trip too. Also, it was used as a walkout song by British UFC heavyweight Mark Godbeer yesterday, and although he lost, the song was definitely a highlight.

Artist: Sinead O'Connor
Song: Nothing Compares 2 U
Year: 1990
Why: Woke up with it stuck in my head for some reason. I don't know why actually, I haven't heard it in a year or so. It's funny how the mind works, coming up with music you haven't heard in a while out of nowhere. Maybe this song was one of those "earworms" that I see studies about every now and then.

Back