SUMO - 2018 Haru Basho (March 11th - 25th)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
2b8ln6.jpg

Another sumo tournament has rolled around.

As usual, the specter of injuries looms over this tournament with a lot of high profile wrestlers having pulled out or coming into the tournament with big injuries that may cause them to withdraw during the competition. Here are the top division rankings for this tournament:

2e4kh9s.png

Tournament Topics:

A Few Returnees, No Debutants: Three wrestlers are returning to the top division, while none will be making their debuts this tournament. Two of the returning wrestlers are guys who once looked like top division mainstays, in Aoiyama and Myogiryu. Unsurprisingly injuries and sub-par tournaments caused them to drop down to Juryo and it will be good to see them in the top division again, although I wouldn't be surprised if they struggle here too.

Sophomore Tournaments: Two of the debuting wrestlers from last tournament will be coming into their second top division tournament with a lot of momentum behind them. Ryuden and Abi both went 10-5 in their debuts and it would be great to see them keep it up. Abi particularly had a lot of great performances and stood out to me as an exciting young wrestler.

Knocking on the Sanyaku Door: Fan favorite Endo is once again competing at M1 and will be looking to finally put in a good performance to get promoted to the sanyaku ranks for the first time. The other three times he's been at the rank he wasn't able to get a winning record, twice going 6-9 and the other time 3-12. I think with the absences at the top he'll be in a good position to break into the top ranks.

Long Awaited Returns to Komosubi: Both of the Komosubi for this tournament are returning to the rank after a long time. Chiyotairyu has been away from the rank for 21 tournaments, and Ichinojo has been out of the rank for 16 tournaments. Both have struggled a lot, but have been looking quite good recently, with Chiyotairyu sticking around the top of the Maegashira ranks with 8-7 tournaments, and Ichinojo riding a couple of excellent 10-5's.

Injured Georgian Champion: After winning the January tournament with a fantastic 15 days, Tochinoshin will be coming into the March tournament with a thigh injury that he picked up in during preparation for the tournament. It would have been great to see him competing healthy again considering he was doing some of the best (if not the best) sumo of his career in January. We'll have to see how the injury affects him, but we all know that this attitude of competing while injured is what's crippling so many wrestlers and hopefully Tochinoshin doesn't just make matters worse for himself.

A Tale of Two Ozeki: While Goeido seems to be back to his old ways of just barely scraping by, Takayasu is coming into this tournament on the back of a 12-3 Jun-Yusho tournament and is probably looking to get the championship this time. I think it's too early to be talking about Yokozuna promotion for him, but with the state of the Yokozuna ranks at the moment, if he can go 15-0 this time maybe a case will be made for him.

Two Out, One In: Both Kisenosato and Hakuho are sitting this tournament out, leaving Kakuryu again as the sole Yokozuna. Encouragingly, Kakuryu was having a great tournament in January, but all that came to a grinding halt in the final days of the tournament as he picked up an injury and limped across the finish line after dropping four of his final five matches. Hopefully he's coming in healthy (he's almost certainly not) and can show the kind of sumo he was doing early on in January.

-----------------------------

So there you go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a great blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although quite outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

2lnzpna.jpg
(again I'll just @ everyone that posted in recent sumo threads)
@JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r

kintamayama's preview:

jason's preview(s):

NHK World preview:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/sumo_preview/2067006/

and unfortunately driving without a license has led to the retirement of Egyptian wrestler Osunaarashi:
Osunaarashi – The End

oosunaarashi.jpeg

Earlier today, a regular meeting of the NSK board took place. One of the items on the agenda was the case of Osunaarashi driving without a license.

The board decided to issue a recommendation to retire, which is the second most severe punishment for members’ misconduct in the NSK’s arsenal. In addition, his severance pay will be docked 30%.

Osunaarashi has already handed in his retirement documents before the board meeting. The NSK will now formally accept them.

And so ends the career of the first representative of Africa in the sumo world. Osunaarashi joined the sumo world in 2012, and by the end of 2013 was already in Makuuchi. He was the first sumo wrestler in the modern era to win kinboshi on two consecutive days.

Last edited:
also, from what i understand the NHK broadcast of the first day of the tournament will also be streamed live, with NHK's english commentary here:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

it'll be starting at 4:00 AM EST tonight (very early sunday morning).

although it's just the first day for now, it seems like they're testing the waters and at least considering streaming the english broadcast for the whole tournament.

Oh damn, thanks for reminding me! My mind and memory are absolutely fried at the moment.

Well shit. It starts today. Happy Birthday Hakuho. GOAT.

not sure if there's more somewhere, but here's the last 50 minutes of action from the NHK english stream:

kintamayama's day 1:

Please let these new young guys stay healthy, seems like every promising Makuuchi newcomer gets hit by the injury bug lately.

Also Tochinoshin is unfairly powerful, injured and still lifting guys up

I don't think we will be seeing Terunofuji back in Makuuchi any time soon

Hattorizakura is keeping his streak alive

Terunofuji dropped to juryo I guess? <DCrying>

good starts for tochinoshin, ichinojo, and kakuryu.

pretty bad for goeido and takayasu though.

Terunofuji dropped to juryo I guess? <DCrying>
yeah, unfortunately he has none of the strength that he once had. he was one of the strongest guys in the sport so it's not even like he's lost some strength but still has something to rely on. it seems like he has lost every ounce of that power.

yeah, unfortunately he has none of the strength that he once had. he was one of the strongest guys in the sport so it's not even like he's lost some strength but still has something to rely on. it seems like he has lost every ounce of that power.
From what I was reading he claims most of the injuries are healed up now but the diabetes is really affecting him. It's sad but I doubt he's ever back to top form again.

From what I was reading he claims most of the injuries are healed up now but the diabetes is really affecting him. It's sad but I doubt he's ever back to top form again.
i hadn't read that but it makes a lot of sense. i don't think he'll ever be in top form again either, and it's looking like he won't get even close.

kintamayama day 2:

NHK World digest:

surprisingly poor start to the tournament for takayasu.

kakuryu also really looked in trouble against endo and you could tell he knew he got out of there by the skin of his teeth. unfortunate to see tochinoshin lose on day 2 as well, but i thought tamawashi looked fantastic. he did a great job of keeping tochinoshin off his mawashi.

There's no way he'll be able to keep his body mass up with the diabetes without going blind or getting amputated in the next 5-10 years.

Terunofuji beat Gagamaru today in a pretty uneventful bout.

Great stuff from Tamawashi, kept Tochinoshin off the belt by keeping his hands in Tochinoshin's pits and lifting the elbow up

Ichinojo really seems to have figured out that he's a mountain and leaning on people is the way to go, could be a contender this basho.

Terunofuji won a 2nd in a row

Kinta did a juryo video for today

Back