Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Panther- 7/10
Probably my favorite Marvel film, though that may not be too high of praise as I can't stand super hero films. Though it did feel formulaic in a lot of ways, the characters had enough to them to make me care. And Michael B. Jordan is great as Killmonger, finally an interesting villain.

Death Wish(2018)- 5.5
Went in expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Revenge flicks have always been one of my favorite sub genres so there were a few moments that had me really grinning. This is also the first Eli Roth film I've enjoyed since Hostel. Toyed with the idea of giving it a 6 but in a lot of ways was just too standard. I liked that they went with a lighter tone, but really wish they pushed the fun factor more.

Ouija: Orgin of Evil (2016)

Ouija_two_xxlg.jpeg

It got off to a slow start but did produce some pretty creepy moments. Overall, it was fairly predictable and nothing really all that original.

5/10 - "C-"

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Beauty_and_the_Beast_2017_poster.jpg

This was a completely unnecessary remake that lacked the charm of the original. It's just a pathetic money grab. I don't understand why so many people sunk money into it at the box office.

2/10 - "F"

Game Night
I struggled to understand the tone of this movie, on one hand it has plausible elements and apparently leads to some sort of mature comedy type of film but then it has other so over the top, plainly stupid scenes / gags that made it impossible to follow its logic. Just incredibly badly written, unbearably cheesy and predictable.

Black Panther
Very boring, it has nothing to do with the the black panther seen on Civil War, and again cheesy to levels hard to stand without cringing.

Coincidentally, the media reviews on these movies are above average to great across the spectrum, so I insist, they must be the result of systematic ingrained lobby or they are just customized to the north american market.

Game Night 8/10

Movie offers a solid mix of laughs, action, and mystery. Very good acting too.

It was really enjoyable and had some funny scenes that felt like they weren’t redundant of other comedies which is saying something these days.

Also, to its credit, really good characters and all the main and supporting actors made the most of their time. Winnie the Bish’s Denzel impression has me rolling.

Bateman and McAdams killed it. McAdams needs to do more comedy.

Lincoln (2012)

Lincoln_2012_Teaser_Poster.jpg

This was a very strong film with great performances.

10/10 - "A+"

Game Night - 4/6.

Had some good unexpected jokes. I laughed often. Rachel McAdams makes my eyeballs happy. A forgettable comedy, but exactly what I paid for.

Finally got around to 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Goodman has got to be one of the GOAT- especially in terms of how eclectic his talents are.

Definitely did an awesome job with this movie. Really liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead as well.

Legitimately creepy atmosphere throughout with an air of mystery.

Ending of course feels like you are watching a different film, but it still worked well.

7.5/10

Teenage Cocktail: Mesmerising tale of love. Shining a light on that special period in your life. Even a messy ending can't ruin a fresh and rewarding experience .. 9/10.

Predator (1987)

Predator_Movie.jpg

Had not watched this film in probably at least 20 years. It holds up. It has great characters. Easily in my top 10 greatest action films of all time.

9/10 - "A"

Geostorm - 7/10

Jim Sturgess acting was terrible. But I'd tear Abbie Cornish's ass up.

Throroughbreds - 6.5/10

Slow, dry, funny at times, but still enjoyable. Not so much a dark comedy, but a psychological thriller with a side of humor. The girl from Bates motel was the best part. Even though I sound like I'm talking this movie up, it's about two teenage rich girls blaming all of their problems on their parents until they decide to take a dark turn. Entitlement at its worst. There isn't much to it other than an interesting experience.

The Discovery 7.5/10

Solid premise and acting, though a bit slow is spots. The main chick was annoying, so it dropped it by a point, or a half-point.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Decent film to pass the time. Main characters accent was pretty off and the film was kind of a mess at points but I liked the cinematography and the time period. Depp was forgettable and Dafoe was underutilized.

6.5/10

ANOES (Remake) - 0/10 - Holy Jesus fuck this movie was terrible. Terrible abysmal awful crap. Easily the worst of the entire franchise, which is saying a lot considering filth like Freddy's Dead exists.

Annihilation - 3.5/10

Really bad movie.

I actually liked it. Totally different, interesting, not great. Had some really creepy moments. The beasts were awesome and freaky. Concept was pretty cool. 7/10.

Last edited:
Game Night - 7.5/10

Pretty disappointed about this one. I mean it had some funny moments, and overall it was enjoyable. But I guess I heard too many good things about it and it certainly didn't live up. My biggest complaint was that some of the parts were too over the top ridiculous and unbelievable it just detracted. Also, similarly, there were just too many disconnected random movie turns and lulls and whatever. Just a lot of stuff thrown together.

Examples of the above:

where he cleans up the dog with the shirt and some water. I mean anyone with a brain would know that smearing the blood all over the dog isn't a way to cleanup/hide the blood. The dog shaking itself all over the dude's wife shrine and it being a shirt of her was funny, but the whole scene was way too unbelievable.

Other problems were where they just bent over backwards to save his brother, then speed off leaving him to get what seemed an inevitable shooting. But somehow they're able to regroup, get their friends and then find him. Those kind of lulls and plot turns that didn't make sense made the film feel rather thrown together.

But overall it was quite funny still. Thank goodness I'm a comedy nut.

Last edited:
Throroughbreds - 6.5/10

Slow, dry, funny at times, but still enjoyable. Not so much a dark comedy, but a psychological thriller with a side of humor. The girl from Bates motel was the best part. Even though I sound like I'm talking this movie up, it's about two teenage rich girls blaming all of their problems on their parents until they decide to take a dark turn. Entitlement at its worst. There isn't much to it other than an interesting experience.

I'll give it a try. I've got the MoviePass so I figure I don't really have much to lose and I haven't seen anything since Game Night so I'm looking to get to a theater again soon. I saw the trailer a couple of times at Alamo Drafthouse and laughed pretty hard when the asshole dad was imitating a robot, "I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine." Doesn't necessarily seem like my type of movie but I'm willing to give stuff like this a shot. Also, I really like Yelchin (RIP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back