Which genre suffered the most from the shift to digital?

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I used to think it was Hard Rock/Metal but this video makes me think it was Hip-hop/Rap.

It might have to do with African-Americans not as willing to buy music from a computer than from a physical location when the shit happened (1999-2008?). Not being racist, point it out to me if I'm missing something.

I actually really liked Chingy, but aside from the shift to digital, his talent reeked of being a novelty act. I don't think the rappers from St. Louis were ever considered as being sick lyricists or anything.

And lol at his career suffering from him dating a transgender rumors. If that happened today, it might boost his career.

Jazz

You started getting new age trash like Pat Metheny's 80s/90s work once synths became the norm.

Do you mean suffered in financial terms only?

I mean quality and quantity from a consumer's perspective. There are only a handful of artists and bands from either Hard Rock or Hip-hop that made it really big debuting after 2005.

I mean quality and quantity from a consumer's perspective. There are only a handful of artists and bands from either Hard Rock or Hip-hop that made it really big debuting after 2005.
ok, well in that case it's easily rhythm and blues, or RnB as it's known now - it declined in quality in exact inverted proportions to the quantity by which it became available in digital age. From soulful, fun, groovy, funky, played stuff to the godawful overproduced, overmelisma'ed mainstream crap we have today. Especially the hybrid of generic RnB with an overlay of generic hip hop. Ain't no soul in that, from this consumers pov.

RnB lost out because of people like my wife who, apart from having really shitty musical taste, also hasn't got the ear to tell the difference between good and poor quality recordings. So now instead of buying CDs she just listens to playlists on youtube and that covers her musical needs.

Back