Gonna be visiting Providence RD and Boston MA later this month

Tamriel Terror

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Me and my gf are going to be moving early next year (we currently live in Charlotte, NC) and are pretty set on the Boston area or Providence. We're visiting later this month for a few days and we're wondering if anyone had any advice on things to do, see, etc. while we're up there.

We're moving largely because we both want a change of scenery, but also due to job potential. We'd love to move to Boston, but its so damn pricey we can't afford to live near the heart of it, but Providence is still close and considerably cheaper and still has a great job market for my girlfriend's major.

So do you guys have any advice on things to do while we're there?

I got lost in Boston by myself at night and I couldn't find a hotel or anything so I stopped at a gas station and asked where a hotel was because I was tired and the clerk said he didn't know where any hotels were (?) like wtf and then a large scary man gave me a high five so I got in my car and drove like 8 hours home.

I hope your trip goes better than mine.

Cliff walk in Newport, RI
Depending on your girls job prospects, CT may be worth looking at.

Listen to the podcast "Crimetown" to prep yourself on Providence's rich history of crime and corruption - enjoy!

For Boston, the T is pretty damn good public transit system so you don't have to live in the heart of the city to get around easily. As for what to see on your trip, depends. There is plenty of touristy stuff, plenty of history stuff, and a mix of the 2.

Cliff walk in Newport, RI
Depending on your girls job prospects, CT may be worth looking at.
Shes a sociology major. Its important wherever we end up has great schools so she can get her masters.

Listen to the podcast "Crimetown" to prep yourself on Providence's rich history of crime and corruption - enjoy!

For Boston, the T is pretty damn good public transit system so you don't have to live in the heart of the city to get around easily. As for what to see on your trip, depends. There is plenty of touristy stuff, plenty of history stuff, and a mix of the 2.

What's wrong with a mayor being forced to resign from office on an assault charge and then getting reelected a few years later and then be accused and found guilty of mass corruption in his second term? That's typical Providence politics. ;)

What's wrong with a mayor being forced to resign from office on an assault charge and then getting reelected a few years later and then be accused and found guilty of mass corruption in his second term? That's typical Providence politics. ;)

gettyimages-451258750.jpg

I'm in the Boston area. What would you like to know about?
FWIW, you don't want to live in down town Boston. Try to live somewhere that is still T Accessible, though.

I'm in the Boston area. What would you like to know about?
FWIW, you don't want to live in down town Boston. Try to live somewhere that is still T Accessible, though.
Just about things to do, reasons you love Boston, etc. Why would I not want to live in Downtown? What areas do you think would be close to Boston, affordable, but not super dangerous?

Just about things to do, reasons you love Boston, etc. Why would I not want to live in Downtown? What areas do you think would be close to Boston, affordable, but not super dangerous?
What's "affordable" to you? What kind of living situation are you and your gf looking for?

Things to do: you name it. Great sports teams (lol @ salty Pats haters), nice outdoor areas like the Common or the Esplanade, great food, great history, great arts and music scene, great schools, great bars, good public transportation, etc. You can take day trips to the beach or to the mountains. The fall and spring are very nice, the summer is a little humid, the winters suck, but aren't the worst you'll have to have to deal with.

I wouldn't live downtown because it's expensive and there's no place to park and the city is small enough size wise that there isn't much benefit to living in the heart of down town compared to somewhere at the end of one of the train lines.

Where does your gf want to go to school? Off campus apartments are usually pretty affordable although they won't be super fancy or anything. Or are you looking to buy?

As far as dangerous neighborhoods, there are a few in South Boston like Mattapan and Roxy, but they are usually contained to a few concentrated areas.

What's "affordable" to you? What kind of living situation are you and your gf looking for?

Things to do: you name it. Great sports teams (lol @ salty Pats haters), nice outdoor areas like the Common or the Esplanade, great food, great history, great arts and music scene, great schools, great bars, good public transportation, etc. You can take day trips to the beach or to the mountains. The fall and spring are very nice, the summer is a little humid, the winters suck, but aren't the worst you'll have to have to deal with.

I wouldn't live downtown because it's expensive and there's no place to park and the city is small enough size wise that there isn't much benefit to living in the heart of down town compared to somewhere at the end of one of the train lines.

Where does your gf want to go to school? Off campus apartments are usually pretty affordable although they won't be super fancy or anything. Or are you looking to buy?

As far as dangerous neighborhoods, there are a few in South Boston like Mattapan and Roxy, but they are usually contained to a few concentrated areas.
Thanks for the input. I already like the Patriots, and Celtics, so that'll be nice haha. Its great that there seems to be so many things to do and enjoy. My Gf planned on going to Columbia in NY, but since Boston has several great universities I'm sure she'll have plenty of options. We plan on renting and just want to live somewhere safe, close to Boston, and with lots of things to do. Financial wise we're expecting to be making probably around $80,000 as a household.

Thanks for the input. I already like the Patriots, and Celtics, so that'll be nice haha. Its great that there seems to be so many things to do and enjoy. My Gf planned on going to Columbia in NY, but since Boston has several great universities I'm sure she'll have plenty of options. We plan on renting and just want to live somewhere safe, close to Boston, and with lots of things to do. Financial wise we're expecting to be making probably around $80,000 as a household.
I would say stick to somewhere that is still T-accessible or someplace where your gf is going to school and where you are working. You could rent by Fenway or Brookline for a year and then reassess.

Hell yeah born and raised in Providence
Look up Thayer st on the east side for Food/Bar life...
If you're looking for more educational experience I suggest Roger Williams Park and Zoo,
The providence place mall is massive and you could spend the whole day there..

Let's see! If you're into ice skating there is a nice outdoor rink in downtown providence...

Stay the fuck out of the south side or manton Ave, no good things to see there...

Hell yeah born and raised in Providence
Look up Thayer st on the east side for Food/Bar life...
If you're looking for more educational experience I suggest Roger Williams Park and Zoo,
The providence place mall is massive and you could spend the whole day there..

Let's see! If you're into ice skating there is a nice outdoor rink in downtown providence...

Stay the fuck out of the south side or manton Ave, no good things to see there...

How old are you? I was raised in RI but moved 20 years ago now. They totally revamped Providence just after I left. I guess they were waiting for me to leave. ;)

How old are you? I was raised in RI but moved 20 years ago now. They totally revamped Providence just after I left. I guess they were waiting for me to leave. ;)
im 32 man, oh dude you're going to love it! Down town and federal hill are pimp as fuck these days!!!

I'm living in Pennsylvania these days! Home sick like a mother fucker

im 32 man, oh dude you're going to love it! Down town and federal hill are pimp as fuck these days!!!

I'm living in Pennsylvania these days! Home sick like a mother fucker

Thanks, but I'm not visiting. I was just mentioning that.

Back