Ending the estate tax: Walton's - $54 Billion / Koch Bros. - $38 Billion

I’m sure this post was addressed but these types of misconceptions are why people can’t have meaningful discussions about this. The idea that wealth generation is only about hard work or talent just shows a gross misunderstanding about wealth is generated unless you’re talking about athletes or entertainers.

And “tax inequality” really made me laugh. Bravo.

The fact remains that the estate tax is the least punitive of all taxes. You don’t get hit until you’re dead, your children did nothing to earn the wealth (destroying hatchets silly idea about work ethic) and it only hits large estates. It’s literally the most fair tax there is.

There is so much wrong with this post I don’t even know where to start. People work hard to build wealth to take care of their families and the future generations. They put in this effort to ensure their children’s livilihood. What do the children deserve? Do they deserve to lose their farm because when their parents die they can no longer afford to run it after taking the massive estate tax? The notion that this is in place to protect against “dynasties” is absurd. How many times must we tax the money? It’s already been taxed over and over yet when someone passes away the immoral liberals are foaming at the mouth at the thought of taxing once again regardless of the negative effects it has on the offspring of the dead.

I’m sure this post was addressed but these types of misconceptions are why people can’t have meaningful discussions about this. The idea that wealth generation is only about hard work or talent just shows a gross misunderstanding about wealth is generated unless you’re talking about athletes or entertainers.

And “tax inequality” really made me laugh. Bravo.

The fact remains that the estate tax is the least punitive of all taxes. You don’t get hit until you’re dead, your children did nothing to earn the wealth (destroying hatchets silly idea about work ethic) and it only hits large estates. It’s literally the most fair tax there is.
This^
Its amazing how many dont question how someone got rich they just assume they worked hard and/or are clever

If we had 100% estate tax on the superich and used that cash to pay say the collegue tuitions of thousands of promising inner of city kids that wouldnt have a chance otherwise or huge infrastructure investment etc itd be a better world...but no you get ordianry guys defending these trust fund parasites!

There is so much wrong with this post I don’t even know where to start. People work hard to build wealth to take care of their families and the future generations. They put in this effort to ensure their children’s livilihood. What do the children deserve? Do they deserve to lose their farm because when their parents die they can no longer afford to run it after taking the massive estate tax? The notion that this is in place to protect against “dynasties” is absurd. How many times must we tax the money? It’s already been taxed over and over yet when someone passes away the immoral liberals are foaming at the mouth at the thought of taxing once again regardless of the negative effects it has on the offspring of the dead.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-trumps-pants-fire-claim-about-estate-tax-sm/

So yeah can we stop pretending this is about small farmers now?

Why is the beneficiary of the estate entitled to the proceeds of an estate that they didn't work for? If the government "taking" money that you worked for when you die is unjust, then it follows that the recipient receiving the unearned money is unjust as well. Whether or not you "approve" of it is secondary to the action itself.

Because the motivation of many a great man was ther betterment of their family.

You’re better that that argument.

Apparently i'm not because you sure as fuck didn't answer the question lmao.

What's the difference?

There's so much wrong with my post that all you can do is ask several questions? I won't address everything because your post is pretty nonsensical but the recurring idea for you is "hard work". What hard work did the children put in to inherit their parent's fortune? The answer is they don't need to do a single thing other than getting disowned or something. So if you care about hard work and earning your way please be consistent and drop this line from your argument about the estate tax because it makes no sense.

And this also seems to ignore the big question, which is how do we fund our government in the fairest and most productive while being the least punitive. If you're just going to ramble you can argue that every form of taxation is unfair.

It boils to down to where you stand on the idea of actual economic competition. I suspect most of the people who have an issue with the existence of an estate tax on this forum are also the same people who insist that poor people are poor because of bad decision making or some other type of external factor.

It's actually fascinating that people will argue that the system is meritocratic and you get what you deserve and then in the same breath argue that allowing people to enter the same system with an unearned advantage is equally meritocratic.

I don't necessarily have an issue with the estate tax, I would prefer that it doesn't exist, but I also freely accept that it undermines a meritocratic, capitalist society. Essentially ensuring that certain people will always wield an unearned amount of power over society, shaping it to their advantage, while everyone else pretends that they've got an equal chance at competing.

Random aside: I was reading about the difference between "working class schools" and "elite college preparatory schools" and they made this exact point. The WCS's convince people that there is an economic/power meritocracy in place, while ECPS's specifically teach their charges that there isn't and that you need to understand how to manipulate the system to your benefit. Paraphrased of course.

Really?
Think that one through
Theres no other way getting rich can benefit your family other than leaving it to them when you die?
No other way?

It’s about not stealing money from children of dead people because of jealously. Did you read the article? It helps 80 small businesses and farms which are still people who need protecting. African Americans are 16% of the population. Do you think protective laws for then should be eliminated just because they are a small part of the population?

The estate tax is on its way out whether you like it or not and for good reason. Maybe one day when you start earning your own money and get over the idiotic hate the rich phase you will understand the immorality behind this tax.

They have built that fortune by benefiting from our stable society and one can argue they have been pretty destructive influences
that's fine an all, I dont disagree with it, but an estate tax is silly, they already paid their taxes, and getting around it isnt that hard.

if you want to get the ultra rich, simply expand the progressive tax rates and go after capital gains similar to income. Nobody can run from that, unless they move to another country.

This^
Its amazing how many dont question how someone got rich they just assume they worked hard and/or are clever

If we had 100% estate tax on the superich and used that cash to pay say the collegue tuitions of thousands of promising inner of city kids that wouldnt have a chance otherwise or huge infrastructure investment etc itd be a better world...but no you get ordianry guys defending these trust fund parasites!
And the idea that people would stop working hard and build wealth is crazy too. People will still want to get rich and do well because having money and power is awesome and their children will still reap all the benefits of that throughout their lives.

Besides, the threshold for tax free estate transfer is still very high ($22.4m married). I mean, how will the kids getting a $100m fortune survive if they have to pay some tax on it?!?!?!

It’s about not stealing money from children of dead people because of jealously. Did you read the article? It helps 80 small businesses and farms which are still people who need protecting. African Americans are 16% of the population. Do you think protective laws for then should be eliminated just because they are a small part of the population?

The estate tax is on its way out whether you like it or not and for good reason. Maybe one day when you start earning your own money and get over the idiotic hate the rich phase you will understand the immorality behind this tax.
The grown ass adult children of dead people and yes they make up like 1% of who it affects ...the rest are lazy parasites whos increasing influence on the democratic process is toxic

African americans need protectilve laws...millionares do not ! Im sure you inderstand the difference

Or one day when you understand how the world works youl be less inclined to protect a class youl never join and understand class warfare has been a one way fight for generations now thanks to the ignorance of many

There's so much wrong with my post that all you can do is ask several questions? I won't address everything because your post is pretty nonsensical but the recurring idea for you is "hard work". What hard work did the children put in to inherit their parent's fortune? The answer is they don't need to do a single thing other than getting disowned or something. So if you care about hard work and earning your way please be consistent and drop this line from your argument about the estate tax because it makes no sense.

And this also seems to ignore the big question, which is how do we fund our government in the fairest and most productive while being the least punitive. If you're just going to ramble you can argue that every form of taxation is unfair.

This is a moral issue above all. It doesn’t matter if you think the children worked hard or not. I am setting up a Florida prepaid college fund program for my future children when they are born and will pay for their housing, food, and other expenses while they are in college. These are things you do for your family. According to people like you these practices are unethical because the children haven’t done anything to deserve it. People are going after thsee college savings plans now. This whole bullshit war on the uppe class needs to end. The outright jealousy of people like you is disgusting.

How do we find our government? Maybe if we stopped the frivolous spending like on social welfare, unnecessary wars, and foreign aid. That could be a start.

And the idea that people would stop working hard and build wealth is crazy too. People will still want to get rich and do well because having money and power is awesome and their children will still reap all the benefits of that throughout their lives.

Besides, the threshold for tax free estate transfer is still very high ($22.4m married). I mean, how will the kids getting a $100m fortune survive if they have to pay some tax on it?!?!?!
Yep
Its not shocking a trust fund prez put this through for his trust fund kind

So for those against estate tax are you in favor of paying taxes on unrealized gains yearly? Have to pay taxes on appreciated property somehow.

"Stealing.... dead.... children...."

Really trying to invoke emotion with those words because logic doesn't exist in your argument

that's fine an all, I dont disagree with it, but an estate tax is silly, they already paid their taxes, and getting around it isnt that hard.

if you want to get the ultra rich, simply expand the progressive tax rates and go after capital gains similar to income. Nobody can run from that, unless they move to another country.
The heirs have not paid tax on that money , it's a transfer of wealh, if while alive someone gave someone a large sum of money it would be subject to tax , why should it be different after you die .

Last edited:
This is a moral issue above all. It doesn’t matter if you think the children worked hard or not.

You're the one who keeps bringing up work ethic, not me. I'm the one who said it's not about work ethic, remember?

I am setting up a Florida prepaid college fund program for my future children when they are born and will pay for their housing, food, and other expenses while they are in college. These are things you do for your family. According to people like you these practices are unethical because the children haven’t done anything to deserve it. People are going after thsee college savings plans now. This whole bullshit war on the uppe class needs to end. The outright jealousy of people like you is disgusting.

Let me start by saying you can ask me about my views and I'll happily share them. The reason I open with this is you couldn't be more wrong about what my views are. Quite frankly I personally benefit from Republican tax plans. And you have nearly every part of this paragraph wrong about me. All I said was this is the fairest tax and I took issue with your ideas about work ethic as a basis for not taxing estates.

What are you referring to about the college savings plan?

How do we find our government? Maybe if we stopped the frivolous spending like on social welfare, unnecessary wars, and foreign aid. That could be a start.

I disagree with you on the social safety net but probably agree with you on disasters like Iraq.

Yep
Its not shocking a trust fund prez put this through for his trust fund kind
What is shocking is you'll see regular folks arguing to either raise the threshold or eliminate it all together. There's a lot of confusion about this issue.

Motherfucking French peasants arguing for Marie Antoinette's children to get more wealth or else it would be unfair.

Back