Economy Updated project canceled: California bullet train costs soar to $77 billion

lmao, in college I lived in Chico and it would often hit 110+ degrees and even 115+. I lived in shitty apartment where the AC literally couldn't cool the air so it was cooler inside than outside. Something must have been fuck with the attic insulation. My girlfriend lived in a 100 year old house in an upstairs room. It got so hot that her candles melted. When it was hot I just would hang out in basketball shorts with my shirt off, get a fan going and mist myself with water. And obviously drink beer.

And to the people who say, "but its dry heat bro." Well we were surrounded by hundreds of thousands of rice fields that would have to be flooded with water. So it often got disgustingly humid and hot.

Oh I know what you mean about stuff getting melted. To this day, I keep candies and snacks in the fridge even though I don't have to.

This conversation reminds me of an apartment I had in Las Vegas. We had a summer where the A/C was on the fritz, and the complex was doing **just** enough maintenance to get it working **just** long enough that they didn't have to pay to put us up in the hotel room and replace the unit. Drank a lot of beer that summer.

What’s the difference. Both groups are ripping people off and doing bad business. What’s the sector of industry matter

It's not the engineering firms in this circumstances that are delaying and increasing projected costs by 20 percent in only 2 years. It's a gross lack of due diligence by the public representatives.

It's not the engineering firms in this circumstances that are delaying and increasing projected costs by 20 percent in only 2 years. It's a gross lack of due diligence by the public representatives.

But you specifically said “private firms” in the original post I quoted

That’s what I was answering with my first response

But you specifically said “private firms” in the original post I quoted

That’s what I was answering with my first response

Yeah, private firms as it relates to Mechatronics, since this is a thread re Rail system development. Not talking about all private firms as it relates to all fields not related to this thread

I think that's just the cost of trains/rail these days.

Houston built a measly 10 miles' worth of light rail for over $1.2 billion. Shit looks like this and is as slow as molasses:

Houston_MetroRail_Harrisburg_%40_Wayside_Dr_2017-02-08.jpg

My niece has a boyfriend who is illegal. He and all his siblings are on MediCal and get free healthcare. Their dad makes tons of money and they could easily afford insurance, but our state doesn't give a shit. My family pays about 600 dollars a month for insurance and we have a 5,000 dollar deductible. fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuu

I wish my kid could be an illegal. Hell, I wish I was an illegal. I'd work for cash and pay no taxes, get free healthcare, and I would abuse food and housing programs. Its like a super power.

I wish one of you morans would put your money where your mouth is and just pretend to be illegal so you can start living this luxurious life.

Set fire to your SS card, your ID, birth certificate and just tell people you're a Canadian with no papers. Wait for the tons of free shit to arrive and report back.

Yeah, private firms as it relates to Mechatronics, since this is a thread re Rail system development. Not talking about all private firms as it relates to all fields not related to this thread

and I simply disagreed that teams
Don’t get fired when they create massive levels of fucks ups. Like 2008.

Question. Did a lot of people get fired when we had the gulf oil spill. That involved stages of engineer planning throughout. Maybe they did but I don’t remember off the to of my head

Do people even want to ride a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco? And Central Valley? That sounds like that bridge to nowhere.

and I simply disagreed that teams
Don’t get fired when they create massive levels of fucks ups. Like 2008.

Question. Did a lot of people get fired when we had the gulf oil spill. That involved stages of engineer planning throughout. Maybe they did but I don’t remember off the to of my head

Not sure -- but I can give a myriad of examples of firms being fired and teams of firms being fired for delays and planning errors during development and construction. Usually teams are not fired for incidents after the fact (post completion of project) unless it was a proven error with faulty systems -- insurance covers after project completion.

It's pretty hard to fire a firm after the fact -- you know, because the project is done and incidents can happen years and years after completion. That's when legal suits take place instead

I think that's just the cost of trains/rail these days.

Houston built a measly 10 miles' worth of light rail for over $1.2 billion. Shit looks like this and is as slow as molasses:

Houston_MetroRail_Harrisburg_%40_Wayside_Dr_2017-02-08.jpg

I wish one of you morans would put your money where your mouth is and just pretend to be illegal so you can start living this luxurious life.

Set fire to your SS card, your ID, birth certificate and just tell people you're a Canadian with no papers. Wait for the tons of free shit to arrive and report back.

I remember when they first installed it. I'd literally see almost every day on the news people crashing into it or something similar. At least it felt that way.

Not sure -- but I can give a myriad of examples of firms being fired and teams of firms being fired for delays and planning errors during development and construction. Usually teams are not fired for incidents after the fact (post completion of project) unless it was a proven error with faulty systems -- insurance covers after project completion.

It's pretty hard to fire a firm after the fact -- you know, because the project is done and incidents can happen years and years after completion. That's when legal suits take place instead

Sure I understand the point you’re trying to make here but I was simply pointing out that massive fuck ups occur and people don’t necessarily lose their jobs

more proof that USA is slowing becoming a third world nation.....billions over budget and decades behind on construction projects is third world planning.

It’s really pathetic how we can’t make anything fast and for a reasonable price anymore. I would love to know what it would actually cost to do without graft and corruption. Maybe 2 billion?
LOL, 2 billion would get you this
711HoM44yUL._SL1500_.jpg

i love how the report includes, "we not sure yet yet how to get through the mountain section"
maybe not such a good idea to put this in a major earthquake zone
but this kind of shit costs money, crossrail in london was 15 billion for 60 miles of track.

It is definitely pushed by massive landowner interests, but for the most part they are not the politicians. Huge swathes of land are owned by aggregated corporations in the Valley, which they bought for dirt cheap. They pushed as hard as possible to get the train to come through their desolate land to rack up land value increase. Combine with local politicians pushing for the same, and they corrupted the process.

Look at some of these ‘bullet train’ stops. Tulare? Fuckin Tulare? It’s a wasteland.

Orange County totally got shafted in this sham. Jerry Brown promised that the bullet train will go between LA and our existing ARTIC station in OC at 200 mph, and now it's just another train that wouldn't go above normal train speed of 90 mph.

---
A Glimpse at High Speed Rail in OC

artic0217151-1170x777.jpg

Orange County has gotten its first glimpse of a controversial new, 30-mile railroad train planned between Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Not everyone was impressed.

“We don’t need a third, 90-mile-an-hour train going through Orange County,” said Buena Park City Councilman Art Brown at an open house meeting in Buena Park last Wednesday.

The new rail line is the southernmost leg of the proposed California High Speed Rail Authority’s Anaheim-to-San Francisco bullet train approved by voters in 2008.

However, in urban areas like Orange and Los Angeles Counties as well as around San Francisco, it only will travel at about 90 miles an hour, roughly the same speed as Metrolink or Amtrak, not the 200 miles an hour of a bullet train.

Brown is a former member of the Orange County Transportation Authority board of directors as well as the Amtrak, Metrolink and LOSSAN (Los Angeles, San Diego and San Luis Obispo Rail Corridor) boards.

He told Rail Authority officials he supports high-speed rail and thinks it’s a good idea, but believes the train running from the L.A. border to Anaheim is unnecessary because it won’t be going any faster than existing trains.

The train, which has met strong opposition in the past from county elected officials, doesn’t go beyond Anaheim in Orange County. A secondary plan would take it to San Diego, but through Riverside County.
https://voiceofoc.org/2017/04/a-glimpse-at-high-speed-rail-in-oc/

Last edited:
LOL, 2 billion would get you this
711HoM44yUL._SL1500_.jpg

i love how the report includes, "we not sure yet yet how to get through the mountain section"
maybe not such a good idea to put this in a major earthquake zone
but this kind of shit costs money, crossrail in london was 15 billion for 60 miles of track.

If the government was handling it that probably would cost 2billion

I refuse to believe it needs to cost anywhere near that. Rail generally costs a million bucks a mile to lay.

If the government was handling it that probably would cost 2billion

I refuse to believe it needs to cost anywhere near that. Rail generally costs a million bucks a mile to lay.
in the middle of the prarie maybe,the greatest cost would be land purchase, and tunnels and bridges aint cheap, plus building stations

When people talk about government waste and inefficiency this is exactly what they are talking about. This state could spend that money a hell of a lot better on water storage, roads, infrastructure instead of the bullet train to no where.

Fucking Democrap scumbags really fucked Cali with this.

Add more lanes to the freeways? Naw... highspeed rail instead! Oh and enjoy the construction for over a decade causing even more traffic and congestion wasting more gas and ruining our "green" eco friendly state... LOLDEMOCRAPS

why waste all that money on a bullet train with the hyperloop and driverless cars around the corner?

lmao, in college I lived in Chico and it would often hit 110+ degrees and even 115+. I lived in shitty apartment where the AC literally couldn't cool the air so it was cooler inside than outside. Something must have been fucked with the attic insulation or ventilation. My girlfriend lived in a 100 year old house in an upstairs room. It got so hot that her candles melted. When it was hot I just would hang out in basketball shorts with my shirt off, get a fan going and mist myself with water. And obviously drink beer.

And to the people who say, "but its dry heat bro." Well we were surrounded by hundreds of thousands of rice fields that would have to be flooded with water. So it often got disgustingly humid and hot.
Before I went to Vegas for the first time I had friends and coworkers telling me that it's dry heat so it's not as hot as here in FL. It was 117 degrees and hot as fuck. It was miserable.

Back