Bahadur the brave

spin

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
i just picked the first source, but a simple search shows the same story shared on several sources.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1655527/3-bahadur-brave-afghanistans-bomb-disposal-hero-killed/

Bahadur Agha, a bomb disposal technician wounded six times by the Taliban, joked the seventh would be his last. He was right: after dismantling hundreds of IEDs barehanded, this Afghan hero died defusing one final device.

Crawling along the ground ahead of Afghan military convoys, the 31-year-old policeman saved countless lives in southern Helmand province, defusing landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) without a face shield, helmet, body armour or gloves.

With nothing to protect his body, Bahadur knew that one wrong move could be his last. But he had apparently accepted the poor odds for survival.

“We were getting shot at but he didn’t care. Everyone else took cover, he stood up and walked around,” Anderson told AFP.

“He said he didn’t care if he lived or died, he just wanted to kill the Taliban. And it was obvious this was true, he was totally traumatised.

“He should have been taken off the battlefield long ago… although he probably would have refused to leave.”

Former colleagues in Helmand, the restive poppy-growing province still largely controlled by the Taliban more than 16 years after the US-led invasion of Afghanistan, said he lived up to his name — Bahadur, which in Pashto means “the brave” or “the hero”.

“When it was complicated, it was always Bahadur who did it,” one colleague, Haibatullah, told AFP, before adding bitterly: “The government does not care about our lives.”

Bahadur’s commander Ghulam Dawood Tarakhail recalled a “brave and patriotic officer” who “defused hundreds of roadside bombs or landmines”.

“Bahadur was a skilled and professional deminer,” Tarakhail told AFP, adding that just three weeks before he died Bahadur was awarded a medal for his service.

Despite his sacrifice, Bahadur’s untimely death has gone largely unnoticed in the war-torn country that has been numbed by the relentless and bloody violence.

i've only posted little excerpts to keep within the rules, but the whole story is a worthwhile read.

other than giving notice to it, i'm not sure what perspective i can add as the thread starter, other than to say i salute his sacrifice for his people.

Give him the hero's send off that he deserves.

That's a hero, through and through.

but also a man irretrievably scarred by war.

a sad story.

Not much more a human can do. He gave his life fighting against barbarism. I pity there is no paradise for him to go to, because he seems like an exemplary human.

Its very sad to see how intractable the violence and instability is in Afghanistan. I have relatively recent ancestors who hail from there and a few red hairs in my beard to show for it so I feel a kind of affinity for the country.

Read thread title, thought this was going to be a news story using a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Saw Bahadur and thought Baradur

Its very sad to see how intractable the violence and instability is in Afghanistan. I have relatively recent ancestors who hail from there and a few red hairs in my beard to show for it so I feel a kind of affinity for the country.
If the Pakistanis weren't supporting the Afghan Taleban, there was a good chance things would have looked bright.

Read thread title, thought this was going to be a news story using a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Saw Bahadur and thought Baradur

Actually when I saw the story, so did i.

If the Pakistanis weren't supporting the Afghan Taleban, there was a good chance things would have looked bright.
I think their troubles started with the Soviet invasion. The US and Pakistan haven't always been the most ethical actors in the country but the intractable instability started in 1979

I think their troubles started with the Soviet invasion. The US and Pakistan haven't always been the most ethical actors in the country but the intractable instability started in 1979
It's a good thing Rambo saved them.

Well what would happen if the Pakistanis kicked the Afghan Taleban out, and genuinely went after them. The Taleban (Afghan Taleban) are only able to wage war against the Coalition forces because they can always run into Pakistan and be protected. The Soviets have been gone awhile. After they left, Afghanistan descended into tribal and ethnic war, with the Pakistanis creating the Taleban to control Afghanistan.

End of the day, the Pakistanis want to control Afghanistan, and that is the main cause for the problem.

Well what would happen if the Pakistanis kicked the Afghan Taleban out, and genuinely went after them. The Taleban (Afghan Taleban) are only able to wage war against the Coalition forces because they can always run into Pakistan and be protected. The Soviets have been gone awhile. After they left, Afghanistan descended into tribal and ethnic war, with the Pakistanis creating the Taleban to control Afghanistan.

End of the day, the Pakistanis want to control Afghanistan, and that is the main cause for the problem.
If they stopped supporting the Taliban that would help but I think the Soviet invasion just crippled the country in such a way so as to leave it at the mercy of war lords and militant factions. If the Taliban waned I'm not sure that would necessarily lead to stability. Some of the Afghans fighting the Taliban are pretty ugly themselves and they have their own interests they'd want to advance.

Came in thinking this must be some sort of Tolkien thread

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

If they stopped supporting the Taliban that would help but I think the Soviet invasion just crippled the country in such a way so as to leave it at the mercy of war lords and militant factions. If the Taliban waned I'm not sure that would necessarily lead to stability. Some of the Afghans fighting the Taliban are pretty ugly themselves and they have their own interests they'd want to advance.
Fighting within the anti-Taleban alliance isn't a feature now, because they have agreed to join the coalition.

The main problem is Pakistan and Pashtun attempts at ethnically cleansing and dominating the country. Ashraf Ghani has been quietly firing non-Pashtuns in government.,

Fighting within the anti-Taleban alliance isn't a feature now, because they have agreed to join the coalition.

The main problem is Pakistan and Pashtun attempts at ethnically cleansing and dominating the country. Ashraf Ghani has been quietly firing non-Pashtuns in government.,
Yeah I think nowadays Pakistan is the big problem there but I guess I'm saying that the Soviet invasion created lasting damage that will take generations to overcome with or without Pakistani interference hindering the recovery.

bahadur means brave in hindi....fitting for him

Back