What do you guys think about PBS? Do you ever watch it?

I like..

I want to say it is basically a joint venture in broadcasting with PBS. ?

So basically the same format, like you said. The same substance that has worked for just about two generations.

I'll allow it...

If you have not seen the documentary on the Dustbowl from PBS, I highly recommend it..

I aim to eventually see all of Ken Burns's films, but I have not yet seen The Dustbowl.

Of his documentaries, I've seen:

The War
Empire of the Air
Prohibition
Lewis & Clark
Frank Lloyd Wright
The National Parks
The Central Park Five

I would recommend them all.

Damn, one thread in the berry and one in the war room talking about PBS. Popular topic today.

Anyhow, I'm always down for watching a good documentary.

I do ask for money a lot, but from what I understand they really need it. In the post above I was just talking about their news program, PBS NewsHour. Just from what I've read, I get the impression that they're basically running on fumes financially.

One day when I actually have something to give them I'll heed that call and make a donation.

Why are you asking for money?

Damn, one thread in the berry and one in the war room talking about PBS. Popular topic today.

Anyhow, I'm always down for watching a good documentary.

I hesitate to even ask what they're discussing in the War Room. My guess is it has to do with Federal funding for Public Broadcasting.

Frontline is awesome. I love Frontline.

Its probably the best mainstream news station that is 'fair and balanced' and its free.

I watch PBS quite often. They used to have a lot of BBC content before the BBC America channel started. Many of the types of programs they used to have went to other networks like The Learning Channel when it first started, Discovery, History, Science, Animal Planet and Smithsonian Channel. PBS should just start using sponsors like regular television does but I do enjoy being able to watch a program without interruption. When they have pledge drives it's basically very long commercials.

Its probably the best mainstream news station that is 'fair and balanced' and its free.

I don't watch news on television very much anymore because I can go online and see things I'm interested in without having to watch things I don't care about.

Lol at not mentioning NOVA the best science shit on tv ever.

What's Frontline about?

I like NOVA, American Experience and anything Ken Burns. Used to watch Austin City Limits back when they had guys like Stevie Ray Vaughn on there but now I don't really recognize any of the music artists.

For a very long time, I totally forgot about PBS. Basically from about the time I aged out of Sesame Street to just a few years ago--so a span of about 25 years--I had no real awareness of PBS's continuing existence and never even thought to watch the channel.

But then someone got me into the British series Poirot, which aired in the US on PBS. And from there, I got interested in their American Experience series, Frontline and GOAT Burns's docs.

I also occasionally watch the PBS NewsHour.

It has occurred to me though that a great many people are exactly where I was a few years ago, oblivious to PBS and its modern offerings. Public television in general seems to even be a bit of a weird thing conceptually here in the United States and I know a lot of people have said that the government should cut its funding, even though only 0.012% of the Federal budget is appropriated for its continued operation. (Neil deGrasse Tyson said that cutting PBS's funding to balance the budget is akin to deleting some text files to make room on your 500 GB hard drive.)

What do you guys think about the network? Do you ever watch it? If so, why? If not, why not?

img_logo_orange.jpg

Sure beats watching Bravo...which is now full of shit programming.

Frontline is the best news programming available.

The 4 part special on the wall street meltdown of 2008 was just phenomenal
Will have to check that out. I love docs but haven't had much time to watch any lately.

There actually was a story several years ago from UCLA that said the PBS NewsHour was the most centrist news program on television. Considering that they are publicly-funded, they really need to be.

It is interesting to watch the NewsHour and then compare it to the other news programs out there because the approach does feel pretty different, on a number of levels.

Thanks I just checked it out. Looks like I have a new doc series to throw in the rotation.

Thanks I just checked it out. Looks like I have a new doc series to throw in the rotation.

It's some of the best journalism being done today.

Since you said you watch American Experience, have you seen Oklahoma City yet?

Back