How would you handle going back to the pre-Internet, pre-television days of radio?

I wonder this, actually. I'm not convinced that all the technology we have today is a good thing.

It seems to me that life was a lot more about "community" back in the first half of the 20th century than it is today, as our technology has made it easier and easier to just sit at home and be comfortable. Back in the day it seems like you pretty much had to go out and be social if you wanted some excitement in your life, especially if you were single.

A heavier reliance on community lasted a helluva lot longer than just the first half of the 20th century. Radio and television didn't provide any real demarcation from the way people were leading their lives. You have to remember that for the longest time there was no cable television. You had, if you were lucky, channels 4, 5, 8, 11, 13, and possibly some UHF like 27, 33, and 39. Meaning, there wasn't shit on television. I don't even remember my family even having basic cable until at least 1983-85ish. So what I'm saying is, you don't have to go all the way back to radio, the world was essentially the same even after the advent of television.

Everything changed in society when computers and specifically cell phones began its march towards becoming ubiquitous. Even in the 1980's a common week would be work, go out, work, go out all week then on the weekends go to the local lake and drink beer with a group of people or something similar, but always out and always with groups of friends or family. I can't ever remember being home in the 1980's man. There was no reason to be home unless you were going to sleep or eat. Everything really began to change from 1990 to present, so it happened quickly, in about 25 years. I would say at least 90% of the 20th century was an entirely different reality than what we are experiencing now. Only the last 10 years of the century did I notice any difference in what people did as far as interaction and being around people all the time.

I barely use the internet as it is so I think I would be fine

How am I suppose to date if I can't swipe left or right

I think I'd enjoy it. I listen to a lot of podcasts and sports radio as it is. I could probably get used to it being my only option.

I'd probably have more than 2 children that's for sure.
Yeah, I mean I'd probably be banging more, what else you gonna do?

I'm a simple girl, so when asking myself a question like this I tend to boil it down to: I wonder if I liked it better when you had to go to the recordstore to buy new music, or if I prefer being able to find almost anything on Spotify (and the likes).

Never found a definitive answer.

Vinyl was an art form. Having almost no record stores left is depressing.

How am I suppose to date if I can't swipe left or right

Basically you gotta do this.

raw

Thread reminds of listening to Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story". That was a good radio broadcast. Miss those days.

Would go back without thinking twice.

Also, I'm desensitized to women and looking at their features is just "meh", thanks to the internet. Back then, it came as a shocker because it was rare seeing them, I miss those sexual subtle "feels".

It'd be fun and interesting. I don't really watch TV aside from a couple of shows that I hardly keep up with regularly and can go without. Internet would be a bit difficult to go without but I managed to survive my childhood without it so I'd be down to try it for a month.

I wonder this, actually. I'm not convinced that all the technology we have today is a good thing.

It seems to me that life was a lot more about "community" back in the first half of the 20th century than it is today, as our technology has made it easier and easier to just sit at home and be comfortable. Back in the day it seems like you pretty much had to go out and be social if you wanted some excitement in your life, especially if you were single.

I think that what they said about 1998/9 being the "height of human civilization". Social media and smart phones have made a lot of things shittier.

Also, to answer the OP, I'd just spend more time reading, listening to radio or going to the pub.

Son House, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, and Lead Belly on the radio I'll be ok.

A heavier reliance on community lasted a helluva lot longer than just the first half of the 20th century. Radio and television didn't provide any real demarcation from the way people were leading their lives. You have to remember that for the longest time there was no cable television. You had, if you were lucky, channels 4, 5, 8, 11, 13, and possibly some UHF like 27, 33, and 39. Meaning, there wasn't shit on television. I don't even remember my family even having basic cable until at least 1983-85ish. So what I'm saying is, you don't have to go all the way back to radio, the world was essentially the same even after the advent of television.

Everything changed in society when computers and specifically cell phones began its march towards becoming ubiquitous. Even in the 1980's a common week would be work, go out, work, go out all week then on the weekends go to the local lake and drink beer with a group of people or something similar, but always out and always with groups of friends or family. I can't ever remember being home in the 1980's man. There was no reason to be home unless you were going to sleep or eat. Everything really began to change from 1990 to present, so it happened quickly, in about 25 years. I would say at least 90% of the 20th century was an entirely different reality than what we are experiencing now. Only the last 10 years of the century did I notice any difference in what people did as far as interaction and being around people all the time.
You really think what you described was common among the masses back hen? How can you be sure what was common among the masses back then? We weren't as connected as we are now so you don't know what the average person was doing with their time

You really think what you described was common among the masses back hen? How can you be sure what was common among the masses back then? We weren't as connected as we are now so you don't know what the average person was doing with their time

Heh, ok man. All I can tell you is what my experience was for the time period.

i spend a lot of time listening to podcasts as it is, so i suppose it's just like listening to the radio

no problem.

Heh, ok man. All I can tell you is what my experience was for the time period.
Well I'm pretty sure the average person spent about the same time at home as they do now. If the invention of the landline didn't make people more of a homebody, why would a mobile phone do that?

Things I'd miss
- Video Games
- Browsing internet for fun
- Instant access to almost any Movie available

Things I won't miss
- 24/7 access to everyone I know...
- The insane media circus that runs non-stop 24/7
- My wife browsing her f'ing phone all the time... during dinner, watching TV, hanging out. Seriously, I'm going to the slap the shit out of...........
HER PHONE

There'd definitely more of a focus on outdoor activities. Down here, that means fishing for me. Specifically, beach shore fishing for Reds and Sharks. Sounds perfect to me right now here at my desk.

I don’t think I could handle other people. I like to use TV and internet to relax and escape. I could do without radio though.

If I did go back I’d probably keep my head buried in a book or two.

Back