UFC 226 a MEGA Card???

TheWalrusNo9

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is the UFC gonna stand pat with a DC vs. Stiped headliner, or are they going to go after a huge fight for the headliner? My gut is telling me that DC vs. Stipe is destined to be the co-main on a legendary.

My prediction of the fights they re trying to book for the main are....

1. GSP vs. McGregor
2. Mcgregor vs. Khabib/Ferg
3. GSP vs. Woodley

After the main and co-main I am guessing the have DJ vs TJ as the 3rd title fight on the card.

Main Event: One of options 1-3
Co-Main: DC vs. Stipe
Co-Co-Main: TJ vs DJ Super Fight

DC vs Stipe is by far the main event. The LHW and HW champs fighting for the HW belt, are you kidding? No fight should be bigger. How many times has that ever happened, the LHW champ challenging for a second belt? I'll save you the time and tell you: it's never happened before.

DC vs Stipe is by far the main event. The LHW and HW champs fighting for the HW belt, are you kidding? No fight should be bigger. How many times has that ever happened, the LHW champ challenging for a second belt? I'll save you the time and tell you: it's never happened before.

And it's legit, with DC a reigning defending champ, he deserves this double shot, unlike a certain Irish guy who's never defended ever ... ...

Lol sure, that's a real super fight people wanna see, no way it's going to be a co main to a fucking leprechaun idiot or a canadian duck

<26>

I'm not saying it isn't an amazing fight and any real MMA fan understands there isn't any fighter bigger from a talent/skill stand point. That being said GSP and McGregor are way bigger stars/draaws than DC and Stipe.

GSP vs McGregor is the biggest fight that could be made in ALL combat sports from a revenue stand point.

You're going full retard here. Look at their pitiful ppv numbers from last year. They NEED this as a headliner. It would be an utter waste on a GSP v Conor card as that card will sell itself.

GSP vs McGregor is the biggest fight that could be made in ALL combat sports from a revenue stand point.
Hard pass though. GSP just won the MW belt in his last fight, and McGregor's last win in the UFC came in 2016 at LW. I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing that fight materialize. I'm tired of circus fights.

I'm not saying it isn't an amazing fight and any real MMA fan understands there isn't any fighter bigger from a talent/skill stand point. That being said GSP and McGregor are way bigger stars/draaws than DC and Stipe.

They have more than one card a year you realize?

You're basically saying they should waste their second biggest fight of the year by putting it on a card that doesn't need it.

I understand that lol....

People getting salty as fuck.

GSP vs McGregor easily does 3x the PPV buys DC vs. Stipe does and that is all that matters to the people actually making the fights.

Again as a true MMA fan I understand DC vs. Stipe isn't surpassed by any fight in terms of quality, but from a $$$ stand point GSP vs. ANYONE or McGregor vs. ANYONE outsells that fight by a massive margin.

Hard pass though. GSP just won the MW belt in his last fight, and McGregor's last win in the UFC came in 2016 at LW. I have absolutely no interest in ever seeing that fight materialize. I'm tired of circus fights.

I'm sure the UFC will cancel it then. Maintaining credibility in your eyes is their highest priority.

They have more than one card a year you realize?

You're basically saying they should waste their second biggest fight of the year by putting it on a card that doesn't need it.

DC vs. Stipe sells a max of 450k. GSP vs. McGregor does over 2mil buys easily and probably 3mil with the DC vs Stipe & DJ vs TJ on the card.

I could see them putting Cyborg vs Nunes on this card as a co-main, if she finishes Pennington without taking any damage.

DC vs. Stipe sells a max of 450k. GSP vs. McGregor does over 2mil buys easily and probably 3mil with the DC vs Stipe & DJ vs TJ on the card.
three million PPV buys? I don't think that is possible with any matchup in the UFC- even Conor/GSP stacked with DC/Stipe

I'm not sure I follow your logic. By themselves, they can only pull in 450k buys, but with Conor on the card, they can help boost the card from 2 million to 3 million? Or at the very least, they would add their potential 450k to the McGregor buys? That's not how this works. The people buying Stipe vs DC would already be buying the card, they wouldn't be an extra bundle besides what McG brings to the table.

No UFC event is going to hit 3 million PPV buys in the foreseeable future, and even McGregor's comeback won't break 2 million. If he ever comes back, that is. I'm not even certain we'll see him fight in the UFC again.

You're going full retard here. Look at their pitiful ppv numbers from last year. They NEED this as a headliner. It would be an utter waste on a GSP v Conor card as that card will sell itself.

No they don't. They've been shifting away from the PPV reliant model since 2012. PPV numbers are down because PPV is less important to them now. Investing Conor is a massive risk that the company does not need to take.

For Conor to be Conor, he basically has to be gifted everything and hold whatever division he wants to compete in hostage. He needs to be propped up by the company or he doesn't have his image. For the one PPV a year he would do at most, it's probably not worth the long term damage for a very short term spike in sales especially when that could hurt their legitimacy in network deal negotiations.

Smaller PPV cards that do.around 300-400k are probably their target and they'll invest capital into promoting them accordingly. It's silly to risk investing a shitload to try for a 1m+ card when there's no telling what could.happen with injury, USADA, etc now that they have network deals.

Last edited:
three million PPV buys? I don't think that is possible with any matchup in the UFC- even Conor/GSP stacked with DC/Stipe

McGregor vs. Diaz II did 1.6mil and GSP routinely does 800K plus. GSP is at is highest point in terms of marketability ever after he choked out Bisping. McGregor also is bigger than he ever has been. He just did 4.3mil with Mayweather and Mayweather NEEDED McGregor to sell that. Remember Floyd couldn't even break 400k vs Berto. At the absolute pinnacle of Floyds career his was drawing 1mil buys without a huge name like ODH or Pac Man.

I could see GSP vs McG doing 3mil+ easily.

Correct!

I'm not sure I follow your logic. By themselves, they can only pull in 450k buys, but with Conor on the card, they can help boost the card from 2 million to 3 million? Or at the very least, they would add their potential 450k to the McGregor buys? That's not how this works. The people buying Stipe vs DC would already be buying the card, they wouldn't be an extra bundle besides what McG brings to the table.

No UFC event is going to hit 3 million PPV buys in the foreseeable future, and even McGregor's comeback won't break 2 million. If he ever comes back, that is. I'm not even certain we'll see him fight in the UFC again.

My logic is if they make a true "Mega Card" they could sell 3mil PPVs. The spectacle of a "Mega Card" would collectively make a bigger card from a #'s stand point then just adding the #'s of 2-3 PPVs together.

GSP vs McGregor does 2mil without a doubt by themselves
DC vs Stipe does MAYBE 500k, but most likely closer to 400k
TJ vs DJ does like 250k max

All of those huge fights pooled together and my guess is that more people would buy that ONE card then all 3 combined.

Got to agree with this.

Back